What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Replacement for Schif

azza

Juniors
I reckon we will be favourites for the spoon next year with such an inexperienced side, and I won't blame the punters for that. With so many youngsters, we are going to struggle at NRL level. As we saw with Carney, it takes a fair while to adjust and none of the other up and comers such as Zillman, Dobson (sorry ESL doesn't count IMO), Goodwin and Herbert have had that time.

gph

Juniors
azza said:
I reckon we will be favourites for the spoon next year

Yeah, we might be favourites like we were this season. We're always predicted to not do well (I've never understood the experts who don't rate the Raiders but then talk up the Eels and Dragons), I think we'll do alright next year, I reckon we'll surprise a few teams.

Stuart

Juniors
azza said:
I reckon we will be favourites for the spoon next year with such an inexperienced side, and I won't blame the punters for that. With so many youngsters, we are going to struggle at NRL level. As we saw with Carney, it takes a fair while to adjust and none of the other up and comers such as Zillman, Dobson (sorry ESL doesn't count IMO), Goodwin and Herbert have had that time.

I think there is a big chance that we end up right near the botom of the table, with such an inexperienced side we are bound to struggle at times.

However im still more excited about 2007 than i have been for years. New coach, the future of the club on show, Zillman, Carney, Weyma, Tilse, Tom LL, Raston, Sau, Miller, Thurling etc, possibly all in FG at once, its going to be a rollercoacster ride!!!!

reptar

Juniors
azza said:

Which is why it was always stupid doing things like signing up Smith. I honestly can't see how having Smith has helped develop younger players. Obviously I don't know what goes on at training, but keeping younger players out of first grade or not giving them responsibility has never struck me as particularly intelligent. In my professional capacity, I've always found the best way to develop young talent is to give them responsibility and expect results, but also give them the necessary support.

Let's get Steve Matai. With Burns set to retain the 5/8th spot at Manly it looks like Lyon will steal Matai's centre position.

Matai has been one of the most improved players in the comp this season. Plus he has the mongrel factor we need.

Edwahu

Bench
I think some people are panicking a bit with the players we are losing. They are all 30+ and only Schif has been consistently good. They wont be hard to replace and frankly I think we have achieved as much as we can with these guys as senior players. Compare it to who we lost in 2000 or 2004 and its not a big deal.

I know people are going on about inexperience but I dont think it will be as bad as people think. We were to old a team anyway. Pick up another couple of 100 gamers and we should be right. We will have a better blend if that happens.

Edwahu said:
I think some people are panicking a bit with the players we are losing. They are all 30+ and only Schif has been consistently good. They wont be hard to replace and frankly I think we have achieved as much as we can with these guys as senior players. Compare it to who we lost in 2000 or 2004 and its not a big deal.

I know people are going on about inexperience but I dont think it will be as bad as people think. We were to old a team anyway. Pick up another couple of 100 gamers and we should be right. We will have a better blend if that happens.

The panick increased significantly when I realised we had offered Terry Martin another deal. FFS what is going on there???

Chachi

Bench
IMO Weyman would be an excellent captain in the long term, the only downside is the fact he plays prop and would therefore be off the field for a significant part of the game.

Give it to Withers for now.

Chachi

Bench
Edwahu said:

That is an excellent point. Carney steps up a level without Smith on the park, Withers was always going to replace Woolford and either Zillman or Chalk will prove their worth in the no. 1.

As long as people are patient with Henry we'll be fine.

Timbo

Staff member
I'm panicking. Why? Because over the last 4 seasons, we've lost:

-Ruben Wiki
-Mark McLinden
-Simon Woolford
-Clinton Schifcofske
-Luke Davico
-Ryan O'Hara
-Ian Hindmarsh
-Jamaal Lolesi
-Jason Smith
-Matt Adamson
-Michael Hodgson
-Adam Mogg

And so far all we have to show for it is David Howell and Colin Best.

I'm not panicking. I'm damn well tearing my hair out!

Timbo said:

-Ruben Wiki
-Mark McLinden
-Simon Woolford
-Clinton Schifcofske
-Luke Davico
-Ryan O'Hara
-Ian Hindmarsh
-Jamaal Lolesi
-Jason Smith
-Matt Adamson
-Michael Hodgson
-Adam Mogg

I totally agree we are losing more great players than we are receiving

nickraider

Juniors
Timbo said:

-Ruben Wiki
-Mark McLinden
-Simon Woolford
-Clinton Schifcofske
-Luke Davico
-Ryan O'Hara
-Ian Hindmarsh
-Jamaal Lolesi
-Jason Smith
-Matt Adamson
-Michael Hodgson
-Adam Mogg

Come on Timbo. Howell makes up for 5 of those players :sarcasm:

I agree - we're in trouble.

sydraider

First Grade
Timbo said:

-Ruben Wiki
-Mark McLinden
-Simon Woolford
-Clinton Schifcofske
-Luke Davico
-Ryan O'Hara
-Ian Hindmarsh
-Jamaal Lolesi
-Jason Smith
-Matt Adamson
-Michael Hodgson
-Adam Mogg

And on the plus side, none of those players have delivered us a premiership either in the last 4 years.