What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Repression of rugby league : Information to share and discussion.

Perth Red

Post Whore
LOL you cant discuss with Stallion, he doesnt read your view, he just cuts and pastes previous posts of his own! He makes unsubstantiated claims and when you ask him for proof he insults you with being a union apologist, not a real fan or someone who wants to see the game destroyed. I've yet to see him put forward an evidence based argument on any of his 5 issues he is stuck on!

Maybe he can buck the trend and show us evidence of RL not being allowed in NZ schools?

Stallion have you ever consideredt that Union is just more popular than League in NZ and kids are choosing to play Union over League? Here's a good example. No bias from the school about what kids can pay but obviously because of which sport kids are deciding to play they field 2 RL sides and 18 Union sides!

Until he NZRL gets decent funding and RL's profile and interest is raised in NZ I suspect this will always be the case.

https://www.westlake.school.nz/sport/rugby-league/

Last edited:

Stallion

First Grade
Again you are wrong. you are pushing this lie with no evidence.

Soccer has by far the biggest following in primary schools but has a much smaller presence in secondary schools. Again it is only played if there is enough support. Basketball has a small presence and mainly its just in the cities. League is played were there is enough money and enough kids who want to play. There are only a few schools that refuse to play it and they are getting smaller.

You claim that League is not allowed in most schools in NZ is an outright lie.

I claim that rugby-league is not given a fair go of it in New Zealand!

Stallion

First Grade
Its greatest barrier is itself, not union bias!

Where is your evidence that the majority of NZ schools "do not allow" RL to be played?

Please read the article I have attached in that part of the thread. Your answer is there.

Stallion

First Grade
Have you ever had a discussion with Stallion?

It's guaranteed to become abusive, repetitive and filled with misinformation that he will refuse to provide sources for or change when presented with actual facts.

How the f**k are we supposed to 'meet him halfway'? Provide half of the abuse and silly rubbish that he inevitably brings up?

Also 'rugby league is repressed in NZ schools' or whatever he is on about is not an opinion, it is misinformation. 'Rugby league does not have enough presence in NZ schools' - that's a fair opinion, and a good discussion point. Te Kaha gives good points but all Stallion does is rattle on about union conspiracy rubbish.

In my town, we have only ever had a rugby league team. No union, AFL or soccer. Someone from the outside might claim that rugby league actively suppresses these sports. Should I give that a moment's notice?

Lol. It's a bit rich playing the 'victim'! When well renumerated elite private schools accept other football codes and ofcourse union with no rugby league, you see that as not being unfair!? "WOW!"

Stallion

First Grade
That’s because union is their national sport. They have no more commitment to a minor sport like RL than they do soccer or basketball or afl. If we want them to take up RL we need to support and encourage them to do so.

Your disregard for rugby league shows a fair bit of ignorance. Despite not having widespread presence in NZ schooling rugbyleague is regarded as the number 2 football code in NZ.A remarkable achievement considering the lack of school presence. Or is that a bit too complex for you to acknowledge?

Stallion

First Grade

Soccer has by far the biggest following in primary schools but has a much smaller presence in secondary schools. Again it is only played if there is enough support. Basketball has a small presence and mainly its just in the cities. League is played were there is enough money and enough kids who want to play. There are only a few schools that refuse to play it and they are getting smaller.

Lol. I noticed you did not mention that union is sacrosanct! Like I have stated rugby league does not get the favours/preferential treatment in the NZ schools system that union enjoys.When the Kiwis have international rugby league success it is truelly an astonishing and against the odds achievement by its players!

Stallion

First Grade

BTW. Your have asserted this claim. At no stage in this thread has this "allowed" word been attributed to the lack of presence of rugby league in NZ schools. You are once again twisting content to.suit your attack on the good guys! WHAT A RUGBY LEAGUE FAN YOU ARE! ROCK SOLID!

Stallion

First Grade
Its greatest barrier is itself, not union bias!

Where is your evidence that the majority of NZ schools "do not allow" RL to be played?

Get the statement right and just don't blindly follow Te Kaha! Haven't seen that statement in this thread from myself at all!?

Perth Red

Post Whore
Please read the article I have attached in that part of the thread. Your answer is there.

That article talks about it in the past tense, and it doesn’t give any facts either, just opinion. A very quick google search shows there are around 80 secondary schools in Auckland over 30 of them fielding rugby league teams in the Auckland schools comp. considering the lack of investment in RL generally I’d say that brings into question your claim wouldn’t you? There are 10,000 secondary school kids in NZ playing RL (contact and touch), the fourh most participated sport behind union, football and basketball. Your no favours/prefernce statement simply doesn’t wash wHen you look at the facts.

You also failed to acknowledge the example I gave of a school only having enough interest to run two RL sides and 18 Union sides. Fact is union far more popular and has had far more investment from its governing body than league.

Your disregard for being able to offer any evidence for your assertions shows a fair bit of ignorance.

Last edited:

Te Kaha

First Grade
For which you have yet to provide any evidence of.
Lol. I noticed you did not mention that union is sacrosanct! Like I have stated rugby league does not get the favours/preferential treatment in the NZ schools system that union enjoys.When the Kiwis have international rugby league success it is truelly an astonishing and against the odds achievement by its players!

sacrosanct -- (especially of a principle, place, or routine) regarded as too important or valuable to be interfered with.
That is yet another lie. The govt interferes with the game all the time, so do the various schools. Preferential treatment is a myth. Schools provide the sports that have the most interest compared to what they can afford to run. You have yet to provide any evidence to the contrary.

BTW. Your have asserted this claim. At no stage in this thread has this "allowed" word been attributed to the lack of presence of rugby league in NZ schools. You are once again twisting content to.suit your attack on the good guys! WHAT A RUGBY LEAGUE FAN YOU ARE! ROCK SOLID!

are you seriously denying that's what you meant? your quote "My take on it is that rugby league should receive the same amount of access and presence as rugby union."
what do you think "access" means in that context? They both have the same "access" they are both allowed to be played in most schools.

Stallion

First Grade
That article talks about it in the past tense, and it doesn’t give any facts either, just opinion. A very quick google search shows there are around 80 secondary schools in Auckland over 30 of them fielding rugby league teams in the Auckland schools comp. considering the lack of investment in RL generally I’d say that brings into question your claim wouldn’t you? There are 10,000 secondary school kids in NZ playing RL (contact and touch), the fourh most participated sport behind union, football and basketball. Your no favours/prefernce statement simply doesn’t wash wHen you look at the facts.

You also failed to acknowledge the example I gave of a school only having enough interest to run two RL sides and 18 Union sides. Fact is union far more popular and has had far more investment from its governing body than league.

Your disregard for being able to offer any evidence for your assertions shows a fair bit of ignorance.

From what I'm seeing and reading, the vast majority of schools in New Zealand do not (repeat DO NOT) play the very enjoyable code of rugby league. I would suggest the efforts of Kiwi rugby league are astoundingly impressive given the the lack of presence the code has in New Zealand schools. The mainstream Public of Australia are not aware of this lack of rugby league presence in NZ schooling . This has a significant impact on the rugby league code in New Zealand.

Stallion

First Grade
For which you have yet to provide any evidence of.

sacrosanct -- (especially of a principle, place, or routine) regarded as too important or valuable to be interfered with.
That is yet another lie. The govt interferes with the game all the time, so do the various schools. Preferential treatment is a myth. Schools provide the sports that have the most interest compared to what they can afford to run. You have yet to provide any evidence to the contrary.

are you seriously denying that's what you meant? your quote "My take on it is that rugby league should receive the same amount of access and presence as rugby union."
what do you think "access" means in that context? They both have the same "access" they are both allowed to be played in most schools.

Get back to me when you address the code of rugby league properly and without disrespect. Unfortunately fundamental cultural imposts are in place within NZ that both propagate union and limit rugby league. I'm just pointing this out. You are extremely defensive and aggressive given you label yourself as a rugby league fan? Strange stance on a rugby league website! My stance is "Rugby league ishould a far more attractive and enjoyable firm of rugby to play and watch and it is not being given a fair go of it in New Zealand. If given a fair go I am sure it would be the number one football code. But I is not been given a fair go. And we have people like yourself maintaining the status quo whilst at the same time claiming to be a rugby league fan on a rugby league website! Sad but true!

Last edited:

Te Kaha

First Grade
Get back to me when you address the code of rugby league properly and without disrespect. Unfortunately fundamental cultural I'm posts are in place within NZ that both propagate union and limit rugby league. I'm just pointing this out. You are extremely defensive and aggressive given you label yourself as a rugby league fan? Strange stance on a rugby league website!

So you once again can't provide any evidence to back up your claims. Instead you waffle on and attack me.

Making accusations without evidence is a strange stance for a teacher. you cant be a real teacher.

Te Kaha

First Grade
From what I'm seeing and reading, the vast majority of schools in New Zealand do not (repeat DO NOT) play the very enjoyable code of rugby league. I would suggest the efforts of Kiwi rugby league are astoundingly impressive given the the lack of presence the code has in New Zealand schools. The mainstream Public of Australia are not aware of this lack of rugby league presence in NZ schooling . This has a significant impact on the rugby league code in New Zealand.

But you believe the reason for it not being in most schools is "repression" rather that what it actually is, a lack of funding and interest from students.

Stallion

First Grade
But you believe the reason for it not being in most schools is "repression" rather that what it actually is, a lack of funding and interest from students.

Lol. You are not looking into it effectively enough Te Kaha. The 'perceived ' lack of interest has been fostered by a very pro rugby union school system . I'm of the opinion that a country'so national sport doesn't have to be it's most popular. For instance, the national sport of the USA is baseball but gridiron is far and away it's most popular sport. Rugby league is not being given a fair go of it in New Zealand and all the evidence brought forward shows that this is the case. Given an even go, (rugby league offered as a sporting choice in just the same way as union in schools ) I believe rugby league would be number one sport as time goes on. However it's not been given the opportunity. If it's not discussed the downward slide and precarious existence for the code of rugby league will not be addressed. Perhaps some of you "rugby league loving people" don't want to see rugby league progress? Some of us do!

Te Kaha

First Grade
Lol. You are not looking into effectively enough Te Kaha. The 'perceived ' lack of interest has been fostered by a very pro rugby union school system . I'm of the opinion that a countries national sport doesn't have to be it's most popular. For instance the national sport of the USA is baseball but gridiron is far and away it's most popular sport. Rugby league is not being given a fair go of it in New Zealand and all the evidence brought forward shows that this is the case. Given an even go I believe rugby league would be number one however it's not been given the opportunity. If it's not discussed the downward slide for the code of rugby league will.not be addressed. Perhaps some of you "rugby league loving" people don't want to see rugby league progress? Some of us do!

What evidence? you have yet to provide any.

How is League not being given an "even go"? you haven't provided evidence of this?

And you again claim "The 'perceived ' lack of interest has been fostered by a very pro rugby union school system" without any corroborating evidence.

That is your major failing. You don't ever supply ANY corroborating evidence.

Timmah

LeagueUnlimited News Editor
Staff member
Please provide evidence of this claim.
There is no evidence in the article you post. An article by an opinion columnist which even defers to the use of the word 'unofficial' in the same sentence when referring to NZ schools and RL, which is then easily challenged by several people in the comments section on that article - that is not evidence, that is hearsay.

Please also avoid casting aspersions about those who disagree with you when responding and simply respond to the questions asked.

Stallion

First Grade
What evidence? you have yet to provide any.

How is League not being given an "even go"? you haven't provided evidence of this?

And you again claim "The 'perceived ' lack of interest has been fostered by a very pro rugby union school system" without any corroborating evidence.

That is your major failing. You don't ever supply ANY corroborating evidence.

Lol. Think you have provided such so called evidence!? Then again it was you? ! You have informed that union has provide all the facilities and hear. And this necessarily implies that other codes have no right to use this equipment. So basically due to this "union donation" of equipment to schools their is no entitlement or opportunity for rugby league to be played at most NZ schools. Only going off your take on things Te Kaha.

Te Kaha

First Grade
Lol. Think you have provided such so called evidence!? Then again it was you? ! You have informed that union has provide all the facilities and hear. And this necessarily implies that other codes have no right to use this equipment. So basically due to this "union donation" of equipment to schools their is no entitlement or opportunity for rugby league to be played at most NZ schools. Only going off your take on things Te Kaha.

That is VERY well known in NZ that NZ Rugby supplied the equipment and refs, at their cost, and stated it was only for the express use of Rugby. So what? it is well within their rights to do so. No difference to someone giving a school money for the express use of a music building. Its their money they decide how its used.

It did not prevent League being played in schools, it just facilitated rugby being able to be played. There was nothing stopping the NZRL doing the same, other than the fact they had no money.

And once again you have failed to provide a single piece of evidence to support your claims of repression.

Stallion

First Grade
Please provide evidence of this claim.

There is no evidence in the article you post. An article by an opinion columnist which even defers to the use of the word 'unofficial' in the same sentence when referring to NZ schools and RL, which is then easily challenged by several people in the comments section on that article - that is not evidence, that is hearsay.

Please also avoid casting aspersions about those who disagree with you when responding and simply respond to the questions asked.

How inconsistent are you! Good for some not for others! I've read the comments section and their are those that ridicule this very informative article. Oddly enough we have so called rugby league fans on this website also not liking what they have read! ? That article is extremely detailed and very telltale. For peoole on this rugby-league site to dismiss and ridicule it is beyond belief . I mentioned this scornful and disingenuous stance by some on this website to a very educated lady last night and she shook her head and stated "They get rat bags everywhere these days."