What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Resignings

Everywhere i look these days, some club seems to be signing up one of their players for another ride before the deadline. which players come off contract for us, who will be a target for other clubs and who should we resign?

gr8_1

Juniors
Resigning Skando is number one priority on the list ... without a heart you dont have team.

Number One Purchase would have to be Matt Orford Chances of getting him though ? 150/1. What a awesome combination he would be with Prince at 5/8.

Another prop would be handy also. Not sure who is available though. Stringer ? Lang ?

IMO we need to add two more classy players to the current squad. Then Watch out ! 8) :twisted:

Swampdonkey

Juniors
I don't think the Tigers need to sign that many more players, except maybe a couple of good backrowers, as we have a few that are getting on a bit in Mark O'Neill, Scott Sattler, Nick Graham and even Darren Senter.

Adam Woolnough would be a good buy, as would Sam Harris from the eagles, Glenn Morrison is a tosser but he too would be a good buy.

A quality backrower in their early to mid twenties is the key, we pretty just need to hang on to the good juniors we have in other positions as well as the obvious players like Skando.

I am not suer who else is off contract to be honest??? How are Galea and Laffranchi going, do they have more years on their contracts?

BJ

Juniors
skando would be a priority re-signing for mine.. he plays his guts out each week.. he's the heart of the team..

BJ

Juniors
yeh in the local paper he said he wanted to stay with the tigers.. the lure of semi final football etc from another team might take his interest.. but first and foremost he would be sitting down with the tigers..
i think the article is on the official tigers website

Swampdonkey

Juniors
The Tigers will look after Skando for sure. He is everything the club is looking for in a player.

I am not interested in the Tigers signing Martin Lang. Woolnough, Harris or Morrison for mine.....that said i am sure there are some other good backrowers out there, maybe Parramatta are keen to offload a few more of their talented players to us at the end of the year.

Mighty Tiger

Bench
Zoot said:
Isn't Lang retiring at the end of the year?

Yes he is!

1st player we need to target is any half coming onto the open market that can play

Orford, Hohia, Witt (I know he is signed up with the Eels but he has told other players he is thinking asking to leave the club), Fien and Turner In that order would be players I go after

2nd we need a prop Lang is finsihed and so is Stringer

Geddes, Kennedy, Palensena(you know who I mean), Woolnough and even Parsons would be good to have at the club the Knights won't resign them all so we are bound to be a chance at getting one of those props at least

3rd I would look for a center sure we have some good young players coming through but with players like Cross, Walker, Bell, Tahu, Bowman, King and more not yet resigned for next year we could really do with an expereinced and a good top grader in that position.

4th I think its a given that we will get a parra player as well who it will be who knows but I wouldn't say no to Witt or Widders who are having problems at the club and with Smith at the moment

brook

First Grade
I don't think the question was 'who should we sign' but 'who should we re-sign'

I'm not sure who is off-contract this year but the number 1 priority for me is making sure our young guns are all under lock and key...these guys are our hope for a successful future, if we lose them we'll have serious issues.

I'm not 100% certain of the current status of Gibbs and Harrison - if either of them are coming up for renewal now is the time to do it, I don't think we can afford to wait till june 30 for either of them (although gibbs in particular, he's had greater first grade experience and hot young props like him are highly sought after by smart clubs)

bonstonker

Juniors
i think harrison is the only elite junior off contract.thompson maybe as well.
farah,greally,gibbs,roberts,halatau,marshall,kmet,cameron,de gois,collis,hunter and harper were all upgraded last year with harrison only upgrading for 1 year.

brook

First Grade
yeah I knew we had the majority of the young kids but wasn't certain about Gibbs

good news though - I'd be upgrading Bryces contract again to tie him up for longer 'cause theres zero doubt in my mind that the kids going to be a star

Bronson then needs to be made a priority - last year he had offers not only from other league clubs but also from union so if they try the same thing again we don't even have the safety of the june 30 deadline.

(also this is more a matter for Balmain but I'd be keeping an eye on Dave Pangai - this year he seems to have found the consistancy he lacked so if he handles the step up to flegg we'll want to tie him up, on pure talent I rate him up with robbie, simon and bronson as the most exciting juniors currently contracted to Balmain)

Of our established players I agree we need skando but I don't know how many more we have coming off that we need to tie up - in reality we have the opposite problem that many players we don't really need are tied to longer contracts (Mears for example)

simon says

First Grade
I reckon we are going to have a fair bit of money freed up for next year.....(Buettner,Nears,Senter etc)

So say we have about 500k to spare.I would be looking for a big prop and big 2nd rower.I dont hink we need backs.Im looking at Benji and Prince in the halves,I think we are covered there.

Id love to see who is off contract.

simon says

First Grade
And definitely tie up Bryce Gibbs(for several years hopefully).I am sure that this kid is a future star.

Mighty Tiger

Bench
brook said:
yeah I knew we had the majority of the young kids but wasn't certain about Gibbs

good news though - I'd be upgrading Bryces contract again to tie him up for longer 'cause theres zero doubt in my mind that the kids going to be a star

And to think people say you say nothing good about Wests players at all :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

On a serious note we have 12mths to secure him for another 3yrs but he is one player who will be the future of the club and should be kept at almost any cost!

brook said:
Bronson then needs to be made a priority - last year he had offers not only from other league clubs but also from union so if they try the same thing again we don't even have the safety of the june 30 deadline.

I couldn't agree more I think against the Panthers he showed exactly what you and other have been talking about - he is going to be a superstar its just a matter of for whom and which code!

simon says

First Grade
What did Bronson do against the Panthers....all i saw him do was miss tackles????

Please explain????

PS...for the record I am a huge fan of his,but he has been ordinary in his first grade appearances IMHO......

simon says

First Grade
What did Bronson do against the Panthers....all i saw him do was miss tackles????

Please explain????

PS...for the record I am a huge fan of his,but he has been ordinary in his first grade appearances IMHO......

brook

First Grade
I don't think he did anything really special against the panthers honestly

which isn't to say I was unhappy with his performance - I thought in the time he was on the field he tried hard to get involved in both attack and defence and at this stage thats enough for me

Bronsons still a kid - I expect huge things from him but happy to take things slow at this stage, but I'd be devestated if he was lost to the club and even more so if union get their hands on him.