What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Resignings

Mighty Tiger

Bench
simon says said:
What did Bronson do against the Panthers....all i saw him do was miss tackles????

Please explain????

His ability to offload the ball, take on 2-3 defenders and still keep moving forward and his ability to make a dominant tackle which he did do in the Panthers game in the limited amount of time he was actually on the park

I have said this before about Bronson and his biggest problem in defence is that he does go high 99% of the time something that really does need to be looked at and worked on before its too late!

simon says

First Grade
I admit with the ball and hand he looks a real handful.Very hard

to stop.But I have noticed him bouncing off tackles he SHOULD be making.This has led me to the conclusion that he MAY need some more time in PL.The kid is barely out of nappies and is a real talent,I just wonder if he is being fastracked a little too FAST.

Cheers.

brook

First Grade
I don't know that they are taking things too fast at this stage - I agree he's not ready for fulltime first grade at this stage (not even a permanent bench spot) but really he's played a couple of games off the bench and spent time in PL in between

I think they are trying to give him a taste rather than throw him straight in the deep end - 20 minutes here and there can only help him as long as they are backing it up by spending the time he's back in PL working hard on correcting any weaknesses that appear (as well as honing the strenths, he did look good when running the ball against the panthers - even got a couple of good offloads away and lets face it they are a benchmark team)

Mighty Tiger

Bench
simon says said:
I admit with the ball and hand he looks a real handful.Very hard

Thats what I was refering too he did give us something when going forward that the other blokes with a heap more expereince didn't offer throughout the game

simon says said:
But I have noticed him bouncing off tackles he SHOULD be making.This has led me to the conclusion that he MAY need some more time in PL.The kid is barely out of nappies and is a real talent,I just wonder if he is being fastracked a little too FAST.

To be honest that is his biggest problem as I pointed out before he goes too top heavy and I really can't remember the last time he actually went into a tackle whilst going for around the legs - its as though he just thinks he can overpower anyone, in PL he can get away with it and sure there are times when it backfires but most times it works for him whilst in the top grade he will struggle unless he changes his way especially if he slots into the centers at some time

The kid is still wearing nappies but he is a talent and I have no doubt he will become bigger than Benji!

brook

First Grade
Mighty Tiger said:
I really can't remember the last time he actually went into a tackle whilst going for around the legs

short memory - there was an excellent tackle on galuvao in the panthers game ;-)

but I agree its a problem

Dale.2.

Juniors
Do the people who want to buy another half not rate Prince and Marshall because they were not premier league stars with Balmain or Wests :?

Yes it is a serious question,i cant see how it is a talent thing,it must be something else,please explain?

brook

First Grade
I think everyone rates both

I think though that a lot of people are uncertain where exactly Benji will be playing next year, for myself I'm happy to stick with Prince & Benji but I think ANY club who doesn't make orf an offer is crazy

our chances of getting him are slim but the simple fact is that players of his quality come on the market maybe one every 3 or 4 years (if that), he is an absolute genuine matchwinner and I'd kill to see him with us no matter who our current halves are

Mighty Tiger

Bench
Dale.2. said:
Do the people who want to buy another half not rate Prince and Marshall because they were not premier league stars with Balmain or Wests :?

Yes it is a serious question,i cant see how it is a talent thing,it must be something else,please explain?

I rate Prince very highley but not as a halfback, Its clear that the both he and our side does look 100% better when Prince slots into the 5/8th role and all year I have been calling for him to play in that position!

On Benji last year when he played he showed he has got great vision and I until I have seen him actually play halfback in the NRL I will keep comments reserved, he has been playing very solid footy out in the centers this year and I guess I would like to see him play in the one position instead of being swapped around like alot of our other junior talents have been thats all!

But the main question is who is there to replace 1 or both of those if say they do get injured next year ???

Orford, Hohia, Witt and Fien would offer something that we don't have at the moment thats all!

I guess if you plan to move Benji into the halves then we would have no other chioce but to sign at least 1 center to replace him

Tigerpete

Juniors
I thought Harrison got top marks in my books, he may've missed a few tackles but thats to be expected. The real important thing was his effort was first class, thats whay sheens would want him to do, go in and have a go.

yappy

Bench
Prince is a 5/8. Play him there.

Marshall? Well he's played less than 10 First Grade games. He certainly has massive potential but is he a better 5/8 than Prince? or a top draw half in the making? I don't have a definite opinion on either. But no one can say for sure. What I do know it that Orford is the kind of player that can lead a side to the Premiership TODAY. He is also a GENUINE HALFBACK, not a manufactured ex 5/8. The Tigers sign the OX and they go to serious contenders instantly. Then you have the happy problem of choosing between good options to partner him in the halves, and have back up depth as well. Can anyone seriously say that the idea of a backline featuring Hodgo in the 1, Richards in the 2, Marshall in the 3, and Prince and Orford in the 6&7 isn't a mouth watering prospect?

Marshall will probably should continue to develop nicely in the centres, where the extra space probably wouldn't hurt, not to mention the relative anonymity he would enjoy having an Orford/Prince combo inside. Even if he's there for 3 years he'll still have 75% of his career in front of him.

freakincage

Juniors
Matt Adamson is off contract at the end of the year can play prop & 2nd row, and now he's made big $$$ in england we might be able to sign him cheap.
Or why not throw 400k a year at Loti I know it's a bit of a toss up but we would be one of the only clubs with the cap space to fit him in & he did play with Prince for a couple of years.

Mighty Tiger

Bench
freakincage said:
Matt Adamson is off contract at the end of the year can play prop & 2nd row, and now he's made big $$$ in england we might be able to sign him cheap.
Or why not throw 400k a year at Loti I know it's a bit of a toss up but we would be one of the only clubs with the cap space to fit him in & he did play with Prince for a couple of years.

Adamson won't go to the Tigers and would either head back home to the Panthers or stay playing in UKSL

Lote well sure we are under the cap but there is a good reason why we are ---- WE DON"T HAVE THE MONEY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Spike

First Grade
Mighty Tiger said:
Geddes, Kennedy, Palensena(you know who I mean), Woolnough and even Parsons would be good to have at the club the Knights won't resign them all so we are bound to be a chance at getting one of those props at least

I'll give the Tigers a decent chance of signing Matt Parsons as I'd say the Knights are going to release him, but it depends if he wants to go around again. I assume you're referring to Ben Kennedy, he'll be staying at the Knights along with Woolnough, sorry :D

It wouldn't suprise me if the Tigers go after Matt Kennedy. They tried to last year without success, but Matt maybe looking for a starting spot in a side and I doubt he'll get that at the Knights. I'm more concerned about our future props in Tolar and Tilse being poached, especially Tilse. The kid is about the same size as Matt Parsons with the speed and agility of Ali Lauitiiti.

freakincage

Juniors
Yeah I know just a bit of a pipe dream, but back to the resignings 1-Skando 2-Moodie. Does anyone know how long Gibbs & Laffranchi have left? both should be signed up long term.

Mighty Tiger

Bench
Spike said:
I'll give the Tigers a decent chance of signing Matt Parsons as I'd say the Knights are going to release him, but it depends if he wants to go around again. I assume you're referring to Ben Kennedy, he'll be staying at the Knights along with Woolnough, sorry :D

I doubt you will keep all 3 (M Kennedy, Woolnough and Parsons) and to be honest I wouldn't be at all unhappy if we got one of any of those guys.

And I wasn't referring to Ben Kennedy as I know he is one player like Johns that we have no chance at bringing to the club!

Spike

First Grade
Out of those three, I can only see the Knights keeping Woolnough. There's a sh*t load of players coming off contract at the Knights that I can just see other clubs lining up to have a shot at:

Johns
Tahu
B.Kennedy
Parsons
Newton
Kidley
Ennis
O'Davis
Quigley
Richardson
Smith
M.Kennedy
Woolnough
Carmont
Seage

as well as our up and coming juniors

simon says

First Grade
In theory Id love Parsons but he seems a bit of an injury worry these days.Same for Kennedy.But we do need a big monster in the side.He has the dimensions,but is the body still good????

Same goes for Paul Stringer,Id sign him up instantly,but he has chronic injuries too.Its alright to buy backs who are a bit dodgey,but you want yer props in good nick as they are going to cop a beating.

One thing is for sure,we have money and we will spend......ooooh its exciting. :mrgreen:

Mighty Tiger

Bench
I actually wanted to sign Newton last year, but apart from ones already mentioned I would only consider Kurt Gidley but I doubt he will leave the knights :evil:

simon says

First Grade
And on Orford....I see what you guys are saying,but I think our fist priority is to get some big boppers.No use havin g the best backs on the cimo if we arent getting the meters to let them weave theri magic.........

Johns and Orford would be great........but put them behind Stringer and Parsons and the bioys we already have and we are in business IMHO.

Engine room first and then........

Latest posts