What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Retired players for the 2016 Nines

LeagueNut

First Grade
Saw a rumour somewhere that Matty Bowen might be playing. Any other retired players likely to turn out for your club? Who would you most like to see run around for one last time?

Personally I'd love to see Ali Lauitiiti get a run (even if he's not technically retired), or maybe even Wade McKinnon if he's ready to go - I think he still lives in Auckland.

TheDalek079

Bench
I'd love to see Brett Mullins play. Or maybe ET. At some point the Dragons have got to get Gasnier out there

They should just do a team of retired players. Maybe create another pool consisting of qld cup team, nsw cup team and retired players team.

LeagueNut

First Grade
They should just do a team of retired players. Maybe create another pool consisting of qld cup team, nsw cup team and retired players team.
Or two Legends teams playing a three-game series, like how the womens teams did it this year. Kiwi legends vs Aussie legends maybe? (although the Kiwis might need to lend some players to even up the odds)

u4er

Juniors
I don't think a whole team of retired players would last the whole weekend. It would be a nice touch of nostalgia to see a few club legends make a cameo appearance for their clubs, maybe it would help make up for the fact that a lot of other big names are absent. But at the same it would further trivialize a tournament that already struggles for credibility.

DiegoNT

First Grade
I'll go for one for each team with their age

Cowboys- Matt Bowen 33
Souths- Nathan merritt 32
Titans- Preston Campbell 38
Roosters- Anthony Minichiello 35
Warriors- Lance Hohaia 32
Sharks- David Peachey 41
Eels- Luke Burt 34
Knights- Timana Tahu 35
Storm- brett finch 34 (not many options for storm)
Manly- steve menzies 42 ( not many options for manly)
Tigers- todd payten 36 ( ball playing forward)
Panthers- Craig Gower 37 ( not many options for panthers)
Raiders- Alan tongue 35 ( not many options for the Raiders)
Bulldogs- Willie Mason 35 ( assuming he isn't going around again for manly, be a good way to say goodbye with the club that gave him his big break)
Broncos- Jharal Yow Yeh 25 (depends on his injury, but if he could manage a weekend out of it it'd be a great way to say goodbye to a players who's career was taken way to short)
Dragons- Anthony Mundine 40 ( would still be fit due to the boxing, was always a naturally gifted player. Whether you love him or hate him, or if he succeeded or failed, he'd bring in a lot of interest)

So freddie was 42 when he went to the 9s so that was my age limit. Of the guys in their 40s Peachey is still popping up in bush leagues, Beaver only retired in 2013 and Mundine is in good shape from boxing. Most players are fan favourites for their clubs, i mainly tried to stick to attacking backs but even in 9s their is still room for a hard working forward like tongue

Pierced Soul

First Grade

someone's going to hell

I'll go for one for each team with their age

Cowboys- Matt Bowen 33

Sharks- David Peachey 41

Broncos- Jharal Yow Yeh 25 (depends on his injury, but if he could manage a weekend out of it it'd be a great way to say goodbye to a players who's career was taken way to short)

these 3 would be great in particular jharal

sterlo would be better than any of the rabble parra sends

madunit

Super Moderator
Staff member
My 9's dream team (off the top of my head - players from the 1980's til present only)

Phil Blake
Scott Gale
Benji Marshall
Andrew Ettingshausen
Valentine Holmes
Steve Menzies
Brad Clyde
Wayne Pearce
Paul Sironen

wrldcup.jpg

Former Souths 7's captain!