What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Retiring mid-season

NPK

Bench
Why do AFL players retire halfway through the season when they are not injured?
Example - Nigel Smart retired a few weeks ago and he seemed fit..not retiring due to injury.

Don't they have contracts to play out?? :?

CyberKev

Staff member
NPK said:
Why do AFL players retire halfway through the season when they are not injured?
Example - Nigel Smart retired a few weeks ago and he seemed fit..not retiring due to injury.

Don't they have contracts to play out?? :?

I've been wondering about this myself.

Presumably they've had discussions with the coaching staff & management who have effectively given them the tap on the shoulder. With long serving players like Smart, the club would probably honour the contract anyway as a reward for their long-term contribution to the club.

Clearly the clubs want to run with younger players for the remainder of the season and don't want to put highly respected club champions through the indignity of playing out the season in the VFL.

I wonder if the early finish comes with a stipulation that the player has to keep himself fit for the rest of the year, just in case the club is crippled by a massive injury crisis?

CyberKev

Joshua

Juniors
Because they usually lose all form
Nigel Smart has been crap for a number of years now

meltiger

First Grade
Richmond this week -

Duncan Kellaway - Injured won't play again, too slow now anyway
Matthew Rogers - Is being given a farewell match, shouldn't be in the team

Why spend your days playing out at Coburg (Reserves) when you've had a good career at a club?

Latest posts