What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Retro Jerseys - how a footy jersey should be

I was at the Dragons game yesterday, and apart from the game itself, the thing that stood out to me was the 70's style Jerseys worn by the eels - they looked fanfuggentastic. To me, it proved that the simple designs make the best jerseys.

Among the others over the weekend, the old Sharks strip was awesome, along with the big Black & Gold jerseys of the Tigers. These are easily IMO far superior to their current uniforms, and they have lost no (and for mine, have gained) impact in their absence from the game for so long.

Some of todays jerseys try to compete in complexity with each other, and apart from the colours there is no identity or history that is associated with them, ie they have little meaning as they constantly change from year to year. Sure they might like to identify the year they were worn, but the constant changing is a sell-out to the marketing & merchandise dollar. It would frustrate the hell out of me if my team kept changing their uniform. To me, some look good but most look over-the-top and more like a coloured Nike tread pattern than a footy jersey. No other sport in the world has the ridiculous complexity of some of the modern day NRL kits.

Maybe its because they have made a once-off comeback to the game that they looked so great, but in any case they look the part & fans of each of these clubs I spoke to said the same thing. While there is the occasional variant, Dragons have always been and always will be the Big Red V, similarly the Rabbits green & red stripes, and the Roosters Red White & Blue strip have remained the identity of the club and are not dated in any way. They still and always will look great.

Panthers back in Brown & White? Perhaps not, but there's something to be said about the tradition of a true club jersey.

OVP

Coach
Totally agree. The current Wests Tigers strip is disgusting ... its an eyesore. I think they should alternate between the Balmain and Wests jerseys, they looks so far superior its not funny.

Timmah

LeagueUnlimited News Editor
Staff member
I personally wish the rigid V would make it's comeback for us, instead of the ridiculous SL Nike curved V we have now. And I also think we should rebadge Canterbury instead of "Bulldogs"

But yeah, totally agree mate.

The Colonel

Immortal
I liked the Cronulla jersey they wore. Great stuff..... Most Parra fans would love a return to that jersey or the one they worse last year.....

Mr Saab

Referee
i agree colonel..

the sharks had the best retro jersey on show on the weekend.
The eels one was ok, prefer the 80s version

Jono078

Referee
I agree with everything Charlie Saab said. And I must say I liked both the Wests Tigers retro jerseys. Manlys was the worst for mine.

OVP

Coach
The Colonel said:
I liked the Cronulla jersey they wore. Great stuff..... Most Parra fans would love a return to that jersey or the one they worse last year.....

Remember a few years ago, you played the Roosters in your original Blue and Gold Stripes uniform with white shorts for some special event. I think that looked the best of all ... i really hate the current fluorescant yellow strip ... its just ugly. What do u think ? Do u parra guys like the old strip or the new one ?

Choppies

Coach
Ive been thinking about this.
all 15 NRL sides.
Bulldogs- 80's V Main
Souths- keep the current design and bring back the Mintie wrapper as the alternate.
Brisbane- 1988 jersey main 1992 jersey alternate.
Roosters- current jersey main Foundation jersey alternate.
Warriors- 95 jersey
Wests Tigers- split the Tigers and Magpies jerseys for games at Leichhardt and C'town etc.
Cowboys- 95 as the main.
Storm- 98 jersey
Knights- 88 jersey as the main 2000 away as the alternate
Parra- 80's jersey as the main yellow 80's as the alternate.
Manly- 80's as the main 70's as the alternate.
Cronulla 70's jersey

The Colonel

Immortal
OVP said:
Remember a few years ago, you played the Roosters in your original Blue and Gold Stripes uniform with white shorts for some special event. I think that looked the best of all ... i really hate the current fluorescant yellow strip ... its just ugly. What do u think ? Do u parra guys like the old strip or the new one ?

I have that jersey at home. Great but not as good as the 70's or 80's jersey. The current one isn't too bad - most would change it for the retro ones in a shot. Its much better than the 2001-2003 jersey we had to put up with......

Green Machine

First Grade
What is a traditional Rugby League jersey? The Roosters though the 50’s French jersey was so good, they copied their jersey and logo. The Parramatta 4 strips jersey that they introduced in the mid 70’s was quite revolutionary. This was not a traditional V or hoops or bars jersey that was predominate with most teams. In the late 70’s a lot of Country and Junior Metro Clubs converted to the Parramatta 4 strip design whilst keeping their original colours. Jerseys started to change with the introduction of colour TV in 1975, with coloured shorts being the first to be introduced. Before that, it was black, white and navy blue.

The_Coach

Juniors
I too thought the Cronulla jersey was great.

Though the Manly jersey didn't stand the test of time as good, looked aweful.

Parra's jersey was good, even had the old white numbers, classic!

Azkatro

First Grade
I agree that the Sharks 70's strip with white horizantal stripe & black lines looks really good. Hopefully too with more money in the game the sponsors' logos will take a much-needed back seat to jersey design again in the future.

skeepe

Immortal
Just out of interest, which teams are due for a change next season? I know the Raiders are changing their strip next season (a 25th anniversary design or so I'm led to believe). Which other teams have had their current jersey, either home or away, for 3 years now and will more than likely make at least a small change?

Agreed as above that Sharks was the best over the weekend, not that the Manly players got much of a look at them from the front.

And the dogs 70's/80's jersey was a classic.

melon....

Coach
The_Coach said:
I too thought the Cronulla jersey was great.

Though the Manly jersey didn't stand the test of time as good, looked aweful.

Parra's jersey was good, even had the old white numbers, classic!
Everytime I saw teh big white number nine on the Parra retro, I thout Ray Higgs was out there!!! LOL.

Timbo

Staff member
skeepe said:
Just out of interest, which teams are due for a change next season? I know the Raiders are changing their strip next season (a 25th anniversary design or so I'm led to believe). Which other teams have had their current jersey, either home or away, for 3 years now and will more than likely make at least a small change?

What? We are!?

Another $150 out of pocket again...

Southernsaint

Staff member
Saints are changing next season but only because the maker is changing. I highly doubt that the design would change, there'd be a riot...

Why can't the club's and the NRL listen to the fans and get back to simplistic jerseys? Cronulla looked great, Manly would of looked better if they had the maroon shorts (instead of this year's white ones), and Parra looked awesome (and with their proper blue!).

Get the Broncos back in their Gold and Maroon strip, return to the simple "Green Machine" days for the Raiders, Canterbury to do away with the fancy Super League design for their traditional one they abandoned at the end of 96, and give the Storm something that actually looks like a football jumper and might gain some respect in VIC!

Latest posts