What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Retro Jerseys - how a footy jersey should be

The Tank

Bench
I've read on the Panthers site that they may have a one off jersey which mixes our brown and white era with our black era.

Sounds horrible to me - I just want the choccy jersey back!

Timmah

LeagueUnlimited News Editor
Staff member
The Jerseys as, IMO, they should be.
Brisbane H: 93. A: Predominantly yellow retro (03-04 I believe it was used)
Bulldogs H: standard rigid V as used up until 96. A: Berries
Canberra H: Current. A: Current
Cronulla H: Yesterday's retro. A: Last year's pseudo-retro
Manly H: Current. A: Current
Melbourne H: Current. A: Invert white and purple, same design as Home jersey
New Zealand H: Current. A: Current AA: 95
Newcastle H: 88. A: White top, blue line, red bottom version of 88.
Nth Qld H: 95. A: Current.
Parra H: Yesterdays. A: Current H
Penrith H: 03 A: 95-96 Away jersey
Saints H: Duh. A: Socks jersey.
Souths H: Duh. A: Mintie wrapper
Sydney H: Current. A: Foundation
Wests H: Bal(L) Wes(C). A: Switch between current H & A depending on opposition. In effect four jerseys.

JMO :D

Timbo

Staff member
OK, this may sound silly, but I think it should be a requirement for these jerseys to either have a collar, or be the wide V neck jersey style.

Get the rediculous t-shirt designs that Melbourne and Brisbane are wearing out of here.

Manu Vatuvei

Coach
imo the Warriors 1995 strip was less simplistic/traditional than the current one. The current one makes a lot more sense.

Booyah

Bench
Timbo said:
OK, this may sound silly, but I think it should be a requirement for these jerseys to either have a collar, or be the wide V neck jersey style.

Get the rediculous t-shirt designs that Melbourne and Brisbane are wearing out of here.

That's not silly at all. I hate the t-shirt crap that some clubs have. I also hate Cronulla's pathetic excuse for a collar on our home jersey. It looks like sh*t.

innsaneink

Referee
League is Footy said:
Manly looked silly without the Maroon shorts. They needed the Maroon shorts with those great old white jerseys.

I knew it wasnt quite right, just couldnt put my finger on it.

If we wore 'traditional' jerseys all the time, ppl would be bitching about other codes and games strips modernising and being new and fresh, they'd want change.

I just hope Wests Tigers get a traditional opponent next year (if it happens again) when we play in the Magpies strip. No offence to the cowboys, but theres no time trip for me.

Red Bear

Referee
The best strips are the simple ones, always have been. And agree on the collars, the ones without them are aweful. The retro jersey's look great.

BWNB

First Grade
Man_of_Steel_1982 said:
Why can't the club's and the NRL listen to the fans and get back to simplistic jerseys? Cronulla looked great, Manly would of looked better if they had the maroon shorts (instead of this year's white ones), and Parra looked awesome (and with their proper blue!).

Get the Broncos back in their Gold and Maroon strip, return to the simple "Green Machine" days for the Raiders, Canterbury to do away with the fancy Super League design for their traditional one they abandoned at the end of 96, and give the Storm something that actually looks like a football jumper and might gain some respect in VIC!

i couldn't of said it better some of the jerseys they wear these days look like kids have thrown paint all over a simple T
the old ones rule love the sharkies and the tigers

skeepe

Immortal
Timbo said:

From what I've heard, you'll hate the Raiders jersey next year then... although whether it's collarless or the v neck is, I think, open to debate.

Knightmare

Coach
Cronulla fans should get a petition going and send it in to the club requesting that the Sharks revert to that traditional jersey. The current one is vomit, and blue is too dark, how Sharks' management ever thought that was an improvement (or how anyone, no matter how much of a Sharks diehard) would want to buy one is beyond me. I agree with ridding the game of t-shirts, and the NRL should tap Brisbane on the shoulder, remind them that their colours are supposed to be MAROON, WHITE and GOLD ONLY, and that they are not Manchester United. There's an add up here for personalised footy number plates, and in the add it shows a chick in Lions gear and a bloke in Broncos gear driving along (why they don't blow the car up is beyond me). Anyhow, the footage pauses as they both turn to smile at the camera, and the bloke has his face painted maroon, yellow and blue. WTF, is he a Broncos fan or a Lions/ Queensland Reds fan???

Seeing the Sharks on the weekend.....THAT was the Cronulla Sharks.

Get rid of the cycling jerseys and bring back the jerseys that really mean something to clubs.

As a Panthers fan, I really like our last two jerseys and the jersey we had in 1991.

But for me, that Sharks jersey on the weekend is EVERYTHING the Sharks are about.

The Broncos should go back to their older style jerseys as well.

Timbo

Staff member
skeepe said:
From what I've heard, you'll hate the Raiders jersey next year then... although whether it's collarless or the v neck is, I think, open to debate.

Bloody hell it better not be.

Those t-shirt jerseys are disgraceful.

League is Footy

Juniors
innsaneink said:
I knew it wasnt quite right, just couldnt put my finger on it.

If we wore 'traditional' jerseys all the time, ppl would be bitching about other codes and games strips modernising and being new and fresh, they'd want change.

I just hope Wests Tigers get a traditional opponent next year (if it happens again) when we play in the Magpies strip. No offence to the cowboys, but theres no time trip for me.

I fully agree.

Wests v Parra next year in the traditional gear would look excellent.

Play it out at Lidcombe as well. :D Now that would be awesome.

aussies1st

Staff member
Bring back the days of our Milk jersey. They are such classic icons to me as that was when we won our titles :D

Ozzwald

Juniors
I think the retro jerseys look awesome for most teams.

Todays jerseys are for the most part, shocking abominations. I reckon we bring back the retro jerseys as permanent fixtures.

Look at these...they look awesome!

westsretro2dj8ah.jpg

A classic, classic jersey that looks wicked, even despite the large sponsorship logos (althought the orange on the logos is a bot of a shame)......no competition though to the old VICTOR sponsored jersey.

tigersretrobal5ax.jpg

tigersceleb5081922w3ac.jpg

http://img325.imageshack.us/img325/4551/tigersretrobal5ax.jpg
The Tigers always had a good lookign jersey & it still looks great today, especially in todays fabric.

Latest posts