What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Return of 2pm sunday games

meltiger

First Grade
skeepe said:
and then 3 Sunday games. Perfect, IMO.

That would mean 1 live game, 1 slightly delayed game (C9) and one majorly delayed game (Fox) ?

Surely there would be better ways to schedule Sunday football than that.

Hallatia

Referee
I like it when there is a 12:00 game, a 2:00game and then the 4:00 coverage on channel 9 on a Sunday
six straight hours of football, works out great
and when there is only 2 games on Saturday you can see them both live, which makes it all even better

meltiger

First Grade
Locky_Jr said:
I like it when there is a 12:00 game, a 2:00game and then the 4:00 coverage on channel 9 on a Sunday
six straight hours of football, works out great
and when there is only 2 games on Saturday you can see them both live, which makes it all even better

12 doesn't neccesarily work in favour of attendances though.

Like it or not, there are many people who attend church on Sunday mornings and would struggle to attend a 12pm start.

Maybe a 1, 3 & a 5?

I don't know what the tv ratings were like but the AFL started off with a great crowd last night for Sunday night football (Helped of course by the two teams that were playing)

Then again on the negative side, with Monday night football on a work/school night, adding a Sunday night game to the schedule mioght be pushing the envelope a bit.

Timmah

LeagueUnlimited News Editor
Staff member
Danish said:
Why was there 3 games on Sunday this round anyway??

Saturday jus wasnt the same with only 2.

I cannot count the amount of times that has been explained on this forum:

FINA World Swimming Championships were on at Susie O'Neill Swimming Centre (Rod Laver Arena).

RLA is on the same site as Olympic Park Stadium.

Storm v Warriors was originally scheduled for 7:30pm Saturday. Two events at one location is a logistical nightmare in Melbourne so the NRL decided it would bend over.

Therefore the game was moved to midday Sunday. No swap was organised with the Bulldogs or Roosters so we ended up with three Sunday matches.

meltiger

First Grade
Timmah said:
Two events at one location is a logistical nightmare in Melbourne

What moron told you this rubbish?

The sporting precint in Melbourne is located on -

1. A tram line
  2. Richmond Station
  3. 10 minute walk to Jolimont Station
  4. 15 minute walk to the CBD
  5. 5 minute walk to a massive car park at the MCG

I'm sorry mate, but your quote above is completely wrong.

You'd have a hell of a lot more trouble getting people in and out of Moore Park should the Swans/Roosters play at the same time.

meltiger

First Grade
Question for you Timmah,

There was 12,000 at the RL yesterday and what? Maybe 15-20,000 at the Swimming World Championships .... If having 30-40,000 in the area at one time is such a huge dillema .... How did they manage 60,000 in the area last night at the footy?

'Logistical nightmare' my arse.

Timmah

Staff member
OK, so what's your explanation for the change in scheduling?

Someone asked why the Melbourne game was moved, I provided an explanation. Take your hissy fit out with the NRL, not me.

meltiger

First Grade
^^ That may well have been the excuse, I just asked where you heard it (the fact that you said it means surely you heard it somewhere) and provided an argument that's it's utter bullsh*t lol

Timmah

Staff member
It's a few weeks back now - don't particularly remember where I heard it.

Thinking about it - it's the only plausible explanation that's come up so far.

Moffo

Referee
meltiger said:
Just out of interest ... Why is 2pm considered to be a bad time for attendances?

its a fact mate, go back and look at the avg attendance at the 2pm starts from 2000-2004 vs what it has been since it went back to 3

Latest posts