What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Reviews

crazy john

Juniors
Could everyone who has played the game post their reviews in here so this can all be organised without 1000 threads.

Tupac Shakur

First Grade
crazy john said:
Could everyone who has played the game post their reviews in here so this can all be organised without 1000 threads.

Yeah there is so many threads about the same topic it's so annoying. I think there is something new posted except when i read it, it's the same thing about everyone who has the game already, reviewing it.

LordStrone

Juniors
PLAYED IT TODAY ON ****BOX...SORRY I MEAN X BOX

played 3 games 2 against a guy and 1 on the seconed diff level, what a gem game,took me one game to lern the controls,played against another guy in shop, i was manly he was dogs, i got done 4 nil 5min halve

seconed game, i was manly he was dragons i scored twice in the first to be up 12 nil at the half then another in the second in the corner,full time 16nil, the guy left he had enough.

game 3 manly vs sharks at brookvale,oh the grounds look bloody fantastic, beat the sharks 10 nil.

well i gott say this is a top top game, its easy to play and very addictive,i could of stayed in there all day,but had to go, the graphics are fine as far as im concerned so i dont know why whoever was bagging them was,they are great only one thing tho,why does hoppa have a afro???? also the player likeness is great too except for a few people when the close up is on,but most of the time u know who has the ball when you are running,anyway some of the tackling cut scenes are top notch and there are some big hits in the game. i didnt work out how to step or dummy yet,but i was on a x box so thats why.

all in all after about 45 of play i give it 8/10.

there were some things that i didnt like and that was:

-sometime the dummy half isnt there so the guy plays the ball and there is no dummy half so u just have to wait for the hooker to get before u can get the ball

-its very strange but when passing from dummy half it seems that sometimes the player dont run onto the ball,they catch it flat footed then it takes a while to get goin.

-the x box controller, what a joke its to big to bulky and the buttons are bloody shocking,i have played x box before quite a bit but it bloody hard to play nrl and use all the features, cant wait for my PS2 version

oh i forgot this too,anyway, the manly vs dragons game was at suncorp ant there was no one behind the post or high in the stans,just dribs and drabs on the sides, manly vs sharks there was a good crowd at brookvale there to watch,packed in on the sides then spread a bit behind the posts ect. they have little morron and white flags and the crowds wear team colours ect

also i hit the posts with one of the conversions,that was great to see,the commentry is frigin great! like i said was there fopr about 45mins and i didnt get board of vossy at all, the refereeing speach is seconed to none as well,i really cant say enough good things about this game except that everyone who plays it on PS2/PC or sh*t i mean x box will be in love with it after 5mins.

people have said that there should be wear and tear on uniforms and the pithch,dont worry about it because i seemed to be so into the game that u dont even notice it,the replays are great as well.

cant wait!

-JJ-

Juniors
Starting from the start..

The loading times from the starting the console to the first menu is good enough. There is a real life highlights footage as the starting movie, but can be skipped.

The Menus

Easy to use and quick between, except for loading the Customization section which can take a few seconds.

Option Range

At start it is pretty limited, but after one day of solid play we had unlocked most teams and competitions, the exception being the World Club Challenge. The length of the game is pretty standard, 5(?), 10, 20, 40 and 80. Weather is fine or rain. Time is night or day. 4 difficulties to start off with, 1 to be unlocked. 1&2 are piss easy after a day of playing, 3 still has some challenges, especially against tougher opposition, 4 is still hard for me.

In game

Crowd Dispersion and size
The dispersion is realistic, eg at St. Australia there were hardly any people behind the posts and on the top level, but a decent bulk around the middle. (this was just an average game). re:size. We played as Warriors v Bulldogs at Wellington and then were empty seats speckled around. We then played v Wests in same conditions and there were more speckles and patches of empty seats. Weather also appears to play a factor.

Kicking
While most kicks were virtually redundant for the first day, we now use them quite a bit, and to good effect. The grubber is perhaps the hardest to pull off (behind the 40/20) although we've still used it to score many tries. It is extremely satisfying to put up a bomb on the last into many people, and see your guy downing the ball in the in goal.

In goal behaviour
One annoyance of the game is being held up in goal, while standing up. It happens often and is ridiculous.

Send offs
As there is no report system, send offs are a frequent event (eg maybe one every 2 games (10 min games)).

More to come...

nz_kid

Juniors
Hi guys i thought i would take the time to write my review on this game.
To start off i love this game to bits it's awsome.Also the tackels are great it is the best tackling I have seen in a rugby/rugby league game. The staduims are alright i thought they would be better. The crowds in the stadium i thought was preety poor but who cares we dont play it to see the crowds.I really like the post try animations and i also think the graphics of players is awsome.I also like when the players are coming down the tunnel and the teams are showen. I really like the commertry it is the best commety i have heard.I like the refree and how he speaks and runs around and also I thought the controlls would be hard to conrtoll and pressing the x button sucked but that was before now i love the controlls and i love pressing the x button rapetley. So guys i would recomend this and i give it a 9 out of 10.Also i thought the loading times were very good unlike rugby 2004 which is very slow.

-JJ-

Juniors
Continued...

Passing
While most passing is fine, there is a pass that seems to be done when you tap too much which causes the player recieving to be flat footed and back quite far. Obviously intended for kicking, but even if you're careful you sometimes end up doing it, which is annoying. Offloads can be a bit dodgey but I spose that's the risk you take by offloading. Deliberate forward passes piss me off, because until this game I'd never heard of them, and no time have I ever deliberately wanted a pass to go forward...

Dummy Half running
Again, I have a problem with the flat footed ness and extreme slowness to get moving with the dummy half. If you're caught 1/2m out from your line, it can be extremely hard to get going forward, as the dummy half is often too slow and is caught, and any passes are likely to go forward, or too far deep. Occasionally when you can get a decent build up dummy half running is very effective.

Kicking Continued
One problem I had with this was a forward with general kick rating of 4(out of 10), managed to get a 40/20.

Game modes continued
Customizing tournaments is quite good, with a great range of no. of teams and format. You can have up to 32 teams participating, which means you can have a NRL+ESL+5 other teams. Creating teams is pretty good, although if you're creating players it can take a damn long time, as there is no keypad, you have to scroll through each letter of the alphabet, and worse still, to get to capitals and back you have to scroll right through littles and through capitals to find your letter. This can make creating a team a very long procedure. There is a good range of fictional logos to use, including some real cities such as the Wellington ??? and the Adelelaide Oilers. There are heaps of other non city ones like Jets, Volcanoes, Aces, All Stars etc etc etc.
Game customization is very impressive, the only thing lacking is the keypad thing (and perhaps stadia but hey, Madden only got it this year).

Funness to play
It is fun. :lol:

Defence
Fun and frustating. Fun is chucking your opponent over the sideline, driving them back over their line, dragging them back up to 10m. Frustating is the fact you basically have to use aggressive tackles on some difficulties, and that results in many a head high. Frustrating is also the bad bad fullback positioning. Too many times have I or the opposition ran up to the full field because the full back was only back at the 20-30m line.

Commentory
Generally good. Nice and flowing. Varying enough. Could've been a lot better with a second commentator.

Referee
Seems to rule most things correctly, except some things. eg very strange offside rule at kickoff. eg I kickoff, the ball goes about 9m on the full, and their guy comes forward to catch it, he is ruled offside. Ref uses sin bin in excess in my opinion. While the tackles may be dangerous, a send off isn't neccessary. A report system is basically essential in the next version.

Unlockables
Definitely a nice touch. There's no way I'd be doing the ESL yet with out the incentive of unlocking stuff.

Anywho, maybe more to come, maybe not, you guys will have it soon enough, so its hardly worth me telling you stuff you already know.

Cheers.

beerboy

Juniors
does the referre call out what tackle it is when tackled or even such things as 'dominant' or 'get of the player' or what a penalty is for

London donkey

Juniors
AAAAAAAAAAAAGGGGGGGGGGHHHHHHHH!!!!!!

I want it NOW!!

Bloody alternative software, I've got to wait till next week for my copy to be delivered.
It's bad enough not getting any RL news in London but this takes the piss

LordStrone

Juniors
Jimmyson/Mullins said:
ok how about some one post a review that isn't full of sh*t :roll:

how about u suck my balls???

its my review,therefore my opinion if u dont like it dont read it!

northerner

Juniors
beerboy said:
does the referre call out what tackle it is when tackled or even such things as 'dominant' or 'get of the player' or what a penalty is for

yup, but i found i wasnt listning to the ref too often.
im enjoying the game.
it takes a little bit to get used to the game. just the speed of things is alittle funny at 1st.
the passes can sometimes be short and quick, other times they can be long and slow to a flatfooted team mate.
i cant get the kicks on the last in too well.
i have my suspiscion's that the long and slow pass is the pass you use on the last.
but ohhhh well....
anywayz....
i recomend it highly!!

Matt M

Juniors
Well the good thing is that most of the problems (which seem very minor anyway) seem to be able to be fixed easily, hopefully Sidhe can put out a patch which fixes these things.

nz_kid

Juniors
I know for a fact that everyone who buys the game will be very happy on what they spent it on. I really liked rugby 2004 and i thought it was good and everyone said it sucked. But compareing the two Stacey jones rugby league by far the best. I gave rugby 2004 7/10 but playing this game i would have to be fare and give rugby 2004 4/10.

nz_kid

Juniors
Here are some of the things i find hard in the game:

Kicking on the last. I dont think u have enough time even tho it's in slow motion.

God Diffculty. If you ever get up to this then u no what i'm talking about. I can just pass legend diffcutly but i dont think i will ever pass god diffculty.

When u pass it to a guy and he just stands there. I find this really hard because he stands there and all u can do is pass it or try and run and by the time u pick your speed up you get tackled.