What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Rhyming slang??

tim hates you

Juniors
Moffo, Post #6
4.) Apples and Pears - dames and mares?? lol
Moff, I think you'll find it's stairs. It's in Goldmember when Austin and his father are talking in "English English"

dog86

Gav-bt

Juniors
Eels fan, I'm not sure where "sarnie" comes from. I would guess we did to sandwich what you Aussies did to afternoon when you turned it into "arvo".

S

SpaceMonkey

Brad Pitt - Shit ("I'm bustin for a Brad Pitt")
Tiddlies -Asian people (tiddlywinks=chinks)
Dame Judy -stench (Dame Judy Dench)
Mantovani -fanny

Tiddlies -Asian people (tiddlywinks=chinks???? lol

never heard brat pitt before, but tis good.

what does mantovani mean? or is it just a made up word??

Moffo

S

SpaceMonkey

Moff, I think Mantovani is Italian, no idea of the meaning. I got that plus Brad Pitt and Dame Judy from Irvine Welsh's novels, there's lots more in there but I've forgotten them for now. Tiddlies comes from a guy I knew when I lwas in London, we were diriving round the east end delivering stuff and he was going "f**kin' tiddlies!" (they can't drive over there either).

H

hutch

fellas, i have been very quiet on this board for a few months, its not that i dont visit here its just that i dont really have anything interesting to add. but this post is right up my alley. me and my mates sit around for hours trying to think of new rhyming words, haha, its even better when are drunk. some goodies to start off include:

matt seers - beers
no 'bugs bunny' = no money
no 'dion nash' = no cash
i have to do a 'darren britt' = number 2
nathan tutt = s**t, hahaha, sorry bout that one
when we go to a pub and the are alot of males, the line is "theres alot of peter brock here". brock = c#$k
your a 'robert de niro' = hero
mad max = axe
for all the druggies (definately not me), they pop 'terry hills' = pills
we're in 'barney rubble' = trouble
going to have an 'andy flower' = shower
you need a 'dad n dave' = shave

there are heaps more but as usual, i cant think of them when i need to, kinda like tests at uni.

H

hutch

moffo, just refering to post number 1, i havnt had a 'ronny' in a while, you lucky bastard.

colin bests = breasts

chaminda vass = arse

donald duck = f#@%

Willow

Assistant Moderator
Hutch, the RL connection is tops. :)

How about we make a few new ones up?
have a guess...

'Who let off an Andrew Hart?'
'Pull ya Mal Meninga out!'
'Eat your peas and Trent Barretts'
'I got a touch of the Jason Ryles'
'I'm feeling a tad Ivan Cleary'

emdgust.gif

lol hutch, some brillant ones in there. I totally forgot about the dad n dave, its one that we still use :).

Eat your peas and trent barretts hehehe...thats pretty good

'I've got the Luke burt on him'
'Look at her Darren Britt' :D
'Gotta go Andrew Gee'
Who let off a Rod Wishart?
He looks pretty Corey Pearson
Time to plant the Andrew Leeds
Bring back the Darren Smith :)

Cheers on the tiddlies thing SM. I must say, some of them do need a few tips on driving lol.

Moffo

C

CanadianSteve

This must be a Brit/Aussie thing, I'm not familiar with it in Canada or the US.

I read an article in US Sports Illustrated about the footy fest a few years ago where an NFL, NRL, and AFL game were played 3 days in a row in Sydney. The US writer went to the 3 games with 2 Aussie fans of the 2 Aussie codes. He wrote that they called him Sepo, which was short for septic tank, which rhymes with Yank. I thought that was odd when I read it, but now I understand it's a pastime down there. :)

imported_midas

Juniors
The boys over in Sharjah would have needed a Fairy Bower as they would have been a bit whiffy under the Warwick Farms.(Not to mention around the Jatz Crackers)

S

SpaceMonkey

After the amount of Apollo and Jack I took on the weekend my head still hasn't recovered....

P

Paul

CanadianSteve, it's my understanding that rhyming slang originated with the Cockneys in London's East End. I'm only speculating, but as the Cockneys may have been quite well represented amongst the early visitors to Australia, this may be a reason that rhyming slangis understood and occasionally used in colloquial speech in Australia today. The transportation of convicts to North America was halted by the American Revolution, and there may not have been a continuing input of people who would have used and understood this form of language. As for other places, like Canada , and New Zealand, I don't know, but perhaps if the majority of early arrivals were "free settlers", then rhyming slang may not be as commonly used. Also, in Australia, I would think that we would receive far more exposure to British television than is the case in the USA or Canada, with shows like "East Enders" and "The Bill" being possible sources of reinforcement for the familairity with rhyming slang. I reckon someone could do a PhD on it (if someone hasn't already!)
Anyhow, it's time for me to hit the F&T :)

frog and toad?? lol

Rhyming slang made me think of pig latin, which is another variation of the english language. Its a bit stupid, but it involves the last letter of each word being brought to the front of the word (or something like that). I can't remember, i hope someone else remembers it a bit more than me hehe

MOffo

Latest posts