What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Richard Fisk - interim CEO

SirShire

First Grade
I'm concerned.

20 applicants, and the position is filled in less than a week? In my mind, that is no where near enough time for the correct processes to be conducted for each applicant.

I would like to know who were the other applicant. I am somewhat disappoint with Fisk's appointment. Let's face it, he was a Roosters discard. If an indication of his success are the 7,000 strong crowds that Easts pulled at the SFS during his tenure then I think we should be concerned there.

What is Fisk's vision? His approach to tackling the difficult-to-sell modern game that is rugby league? Or is he going to fall back on the things that got him through the mid/late 90s, like the Pepsi Funball and ET dancers?

jackal

Juniors
the promotion of the football manager to GM .
That is concerning. Why the new appointment? It is obvious Fisk has no football ability in his resume.

So if that be the case, he is merely a marketing guru. Thats one hell of a pay packet for a marketing manager.

I'm concerned.

20 applicants, and the position is filled in less than a week? In my mind, that is no where near enough time for the correct processes to be conducted for each applicant.

I would like to know who were the other applicant. I am somewhat disappoint with Fisk's appointment. Let's face it, he was a Roosters discard. If an indication of his success are the 7,000 strong crowds that Easts pulled at the SFS during his tenure then I think we should be concerned there.

What is Fisk's vision? His approach to tackling the difficult-to-sell modern game that is rugby league? Or is he going to fall back on the things that got him through the mid/late 90s, like the Pepsi Funball and ET dancers?

He met the primary selection criteria. Therefore they could fill the role quickly

jackal

Juniors
Nup - some problems will never be removed from the system. They are some-what still there it seems.

SirShire

First Grade
That is concerning. Why the new appointment? It is obvious Fisk has no football ability in his resume.

So if that be the case, he is merely a marketing guru. Thats one hell of a pay packet for a marketing manager.

This. And from what it seems, not a particularly effective marketing guru. Litvensky essentially having the same role as Zappia did at Parramatta to Denis Fitzgerald.

Fair go, it would be interesting to see the names put forward for this role. I would be interested to see if Miller applied, although questioning his ability to carry out the role.

The only upside is if Fisk's appointment is the pre-requisite to inviting Gow back.

They've invited a local accountant to the board. A step in the right direction, but not exactly a real mover and shaker. Opportunity lost.

Ausguy

Coach
i doubt there was 20 or 16 applicants for that matter.

Believe nothign you read or hear on tv, have we learnt nothing from this season?

The faster we move on with the new board in control the better, thankyou for freddie fittler getting pissed and caught to take the pressure off, we will win on monday and the roosters will lose and we will be 4 points clear of the stirring implement.

Move on everybody lets go...

Ausguy

Coach
This. And from what it seems, not a particularly effective marketing guru. Litvensky essentially having the same role as Zappia did at Parramatta to Denis Fitzgerald.

Fair go, it would be interesting to see the names put forward for this role. I would be interested to see if Miller applied, although questioning his ability to carry out the role.

The only upside is if Fisk's appointment is the pre-requisite to inviting Gow back.

They've invited a local accountant to the board. A step in the right direction, but not exactly a real mover and shaker. Opportunity lost.

Big time.... sh*t if gavin miller got the job id be a lot less convinced of success, great footballer but gee does he have any clue how to do the job?

cityshark

Juniors
I didnt get my application in on time but here is what I thik should be done about marketing game day.
1 No ET dancers.
2 No marching bands.
3 No ball rolling ( unless by Gal)
4 Better intro on players from both sides , longer and more detailed.
5 Encourage bigger banners from both sides ( this should be NRL funded really) adds a tremendous amount of colour for TV.
6 Look at small detail ways to encourage Opposition supporters , ie Bus parking, dedicated ticket entry, a souviner game day give away for team supporters
7 Sky diving parachute type stuff when ever possible. Sponsor flags attached , both teams represented. Relayed back to the big screen from the air.
8 Getting to supporters of both teams via 'new ' media ( m phones and web sites) and promoting the game .
9 Last of ALL , bring back that FIN! and make a couple of clones with player heads transfered onto the fin shape ( you can do this with vinal) . How good would that look on TV .

jackal

Juniors

That could be a concern too. What was his previous tie's to the club....?

Fisk is on 2GB now using those favourite words of his like "transparent, accountability, skeletons, cheques & balances".

jackal

Juniors
Not forgetting Ricky and Zappia were good friends. Almost as good a friends as Ricky and Fisk.

SirShire

First Grade
I'd never heard of him. A Sutherland accountant invited to the board.

Ricky's great vision when he joined the club was to turn it into the powerhouse of league, and he had the contacts to do it. We should be inviting directors/CEOs of medium-large Australian businesses to our board, not small fry accountants. A Gerry Harvey, a Katie Page (*shudder*), even ones with a local connection - Dunphy has a lot of time on his hands since flogging Shimano, John Hills from Pipe King, someone from Pfizer at Taren Pt. But an accountant? What does he bring to the table?

Ricky's contacts have not been tapped in that regard. He's met some powerful people during his career and we have had the perfect opportunity to transform the brains of the club but haven't truly grabbed it with both hands.

I hold out hope that the a big fish is nabbed for Chairman.

jackal

Juniors
The president is already on the board. Ricky needs people on the board that he can control. No one likes a short leash, even if the business is drowning.

Frenzy.

Post Whore
I'm concerned.

AH HA

I was thinking these exact same things as I drove home and heard the announcement.

Obviously no EEO or selection process at the Sharks. How many were on the interview panel? Who performed the cull? Where were the interviews? Were reference checks done? Criminal records checks? Working with children checks (yes we have juniors that fall into the need for this).

Now I realise the Sharks are a private entity and don't have to follow the above as that is basically the government based criteria. But most private companies do most of the above. It takes 9 weeks minimum for that process to take place. The other thing is whether public sector or private EEO applies. If I was one of the 20 others I'd have the Sharks in the IRC by mid next week.

Dodgy is as dodgy does. No wonder we are falling in a hole

Then again, we have Elmer Fudd steering the ship it seems, how are we going to suceed with the least smart of the Warner Bros characters leading us into oblivion

Frenzy.

Post Whore
I didnt get my application in on time but here is what I thik should be done about marketing game day.
1 No ET dancers.
2 No marching bands.
3 No ball rolling ( unless by Gal)
4 Better intro on players from both sides , longer and more detailed.
5 Encourage bigger banners from both sides ( this should be NRL funded really) adds a tremendous amount of colour for TV.
6 Look at small detail ways to encourage Opposition supporters , ie Bus parking, dedicated ticket entry, a souviner game day give away for team supporters
7 Sky diving parachute type stuff when ever possible. Sponsor flags attached , both teams represented. Relayed back to the big screen from the air.
8 Getting to supporters of both teams via 'new ' media ( m phones and web sites) and promoting the game .
9 Last of ALL , bring back that FIN! and make a couple of clones with player heads transfered onto the fin shape ( you can do this with vinal) . How good would that look on TV .

How do you know you didn't cityshark? Did anyone here see an positions vacant notice with an expiry date for application ANYWHERE.

Dodgy Elmer, dodgy.

Frenzy.

Post Whore
i doubt there was 20 or 16 applicants for that matter.

Believe nothign you read or hear on tv, have we learnt nothing from this season?

The faster we move on with the new board in control the better, thankyou for freddie fittler getting pissed and caught to take the pressure off, we will win on monday and the roosters will lose and we will be 4 points clear of the stirring implement.

Move on everybody lets go...

Doesn't actually matter. If there is 1 applicant or 50 the process is exactly the same.

Inferno

Coach
I'd wager they were lining up applicants from the moment the sh*t hit the fan with Zappia.

He was only appointed as an interim CEO, so chances are we still have the off season to look at other applicants in greater depth. Best for that to be conducted in the off season rather than dilly dallying in the meantime IMO.

spider

Coach
fisk is a known and tested product, and the sharks dont have the time to fluff around for a replacement, especially an unknown

an unknown could be detrimental as the club needs to lure sponsors for next year and a major sponosr to replace LG at that

the decision to take him on board makes sense in that capacity alone, especially when dealing with corporate sponsorship as the name is a known and may instill that bit of extra confidence to get the signature on the dotted line at the end of the deal

forget all the bullsh*t about the resume's rolling in and not being considered because if the club does not obtain a major sponsor for next year then there will be no home games at woolooware in 2010

its harsh, but relatively simple stuff at this stage of the process

the elevation of the footy manager to the title of general manager hints that this is the main angle

Miller Lite

Juniors
1 No ET dancers.

Well, all I can say is thank God you didn't get your application in on time. ;)