What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Richo for NRL CEO!!!

TheFrog

Coach
A paycut is a paycut. Who knows if it was planned. It looks good in the eyes of the public. He has staked his ground.

Agreed with the OP. He is shaping for the top job...and so is Cam Smith (His time will come).
Wouldn't surprise me if Gus is considering throwing his hat in the ring as well, although I suspect he sees himself replacing Vlandys, not Greenberg. He's certainly far more popular with players than either of the above.

10$ Ferret

Staff member
Wouldn't surprise me if Gus is considering throwing his hat in the ring as well, although I suspect he sees himself replacing Vlandys, not Greenberg. He's certainly far more popular with players than either of the above.

I could not think of anything worse. Gould has completely stuffed up Penrith, last year their SG Ball team did not even make the 8.
I was actually thinking that one of the best outcomes from this RL "crisis" would be to have Gould distanced from the game. He is nothing but a disease and a negative influence

gordsy

Juniors
Gus is not the person we need running the nrl. He talks about how he would fix the refs etc. He must forget when him and Harrigan failed in doing that.

Hello, I'm The Doctor

First Grade
I want Gus as Chairman just to stop him
Whinging....

If it turns out that he has no idea (which is my guess) he will be found out. If he is the genius that he thinks he is, he will be the greatest admin we have ever had.

I just wanna see him actually test himself. It is easy to whinge when you aren’t responsible...

10$ Ferret

Staff member
Whinging....

If it turns out that he has no idea (which is my guess) he will be found out. If he is the genius that he thinks he is, he will be the greatest admin we have ever had.

I just wanna see him actually test himself. It is easy to whinge when you aren’t responsible...

Tested, isn't stuffing up Penrith enough of a test

Whinging....

I’ve often thought this myself. You can’t deny his love for the game. I’d like to see the NRL delegate a grass roots development roll for him. He’d be good for a while before his megalomania takes over.

Hello, I'm The Doctor

First Grade
^^^^^

Bennent has a reputation that NewsLtd would struggle to hurt, he was effectively in charge of Brisbane RL for 20 years and he is a media master.

AND he isnt a Sydney club shill (which is what we need)

^^^^^

Bennent has a reputation that NewsLtd would struggle to hurt, he was effectively in charge of Brisbane RL for 20 years and he is a media master.

AND he isnt a Sydney club shill (which is what we need)

Not sure, Doc. He’s a master in media as in he gives nothing away. The chairman should keep fans informed. At least we wouldn’t be dished up spin, I guess.

10$ Ferret

Staff member
Good God Gould has stuffed up most things he has touched lately . He has absolutely stuffed Penrith.
the only good thing Gould could do for rugby league is leave it never to talk publicly about it again

Bennett also has stuffed up every club he has been at and left.

Spot On

Coach
Gould sacks Cleary, then hires Griffin, then sacks Grifgin who had the team sitting in the top 4, then hires Cleary again.

Cost the Panthers squillions.

Yeah, wonderful track record.

Sign him up.

FFS.

Fangs

Coach
Gould sacks Cleary, then hires Griffin, then sacks Grifgin who had the team sitting in the top 4, then hires Cleary again.

Sign him up.

FFS.

Somewhat true. Did not re-hire Ivan Cleary (Thought this was public knowledge).

The rest, as they say...is Spot On.

Don't agree he should be NRL CEO. Would be a good addition to the independent commission or simply as an advisor to the NRL.

Hello, I'm The Doctor

First Grade
Not sure, Doc. He’s a master in media as in he gives nothing away. The chairman should keep fans informed. At least we wouldn’t be dished up spin, I guess.

Its not that he gives nothing away, it is that he refuses to give oxygen to issues that he doesnt want to talk about (I am wondering if Scott Morrison was trained by Wango).

This just means that, if the media want a direct quote, they need to talk about the topic Bennett wants them to talk about. It is very different to the average [thick] footballer who is just scared of saying something dumb. Bennett plays the media like puppets

Hello, I'm The Doctor

First Grade

Sign him up.

FFS.

Slothfield pointed this out on FOX (maybe the first time i have agreed with the Alcoholic-At-Large)

The clubs are whinging that the ARLC hasnt saved anything, but thats because all of the ARLCs revenue flows straight to the clubs. So why havent the CLUBS saved anything?

Examples like above (signing a coach/player for $1mil/pa then firing them with 3 years left on their deal) are at EVERY club. They are just pissing money into the wind because the ARLC is always bailing them out.

The only fault of the ARLC in al of this is that they let the clubs run wild for so long.....

Saxon

Bench
That would be an absolute disaster for League at all levels.
Gould thinks he is the great font of League knowledge and that his views are the only right ones. And most of his opinions are "they're wrong. I'll tell you how to fix it later".

A prime example is his years of tirades against the refs and their weak stance on wrestling and general rulebreaking (offside, blocking etc,). So the NRL take a stand and start penalising the hell out of people. Gus doesn't like the high penalty counts and launches tirades against the refs until the NRL chokes and we go back to the bad old days. Make no mistake, the reason wrestling wasn't driven out of the game is Gould.
He often condemns the damage that Superleague did to the game; but just remember that until News offered to pay big money, Gould's paymaster Packer was running the game for a fraction of it's worth. And it was Gould who made the offers of ludicrous sums to players like Fittler and Mundine to stay with Packer.
And just look at his great success with Penrith.

If you want Rugby League in Australia to continue then keep Gus well away from the ARL. If you want GusBall, then go for it.

Latest posts