What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Rick Ponting is a disgrace

JJ

Immortal
kia ora storm said:
The Aussie obsession with winning at all costs has now become a obsession that will taint their success for a years to come...

unfortunately they just don't see it

Twizzle

Administrator
Staff member
JJ said:
I've never heard a an example of a clever "sledge" from an Australian test cricketer... oh, no I think Healy once or twice... usually it's moronic e.g., McGrath, Warne, Waugh followed by a clever retort (e.g., Sarwan, Brandes, Cullinan, nuffie Englishman, Parore)

when did you play against the Aussies ?

TITAN1

Juniors
kia ora storm said:
IMO and having considered both sides of the press..

Ponting needs to step back and reconsider his leadership style...bold and brash is essential but so is an element of fairness and respect for his opposition and he does not display this which is a major issue.

The question that needs to be posed is: Does Ponting have the nous to be a captain..when the pressure is on he has not demonstrated a level head ??.

The Aussie obsession with winning at all costs has now become a obsession that will taint their success for a years to come...
Get back to us when NZ win 16 in a row
Better yet,make that 6 in a row

rabbit4ever

Juniors
Hey, Cricket is a game played and officiated upon by HUMAN BEINGS who are all prone to human error. Out of the all those Humans who participated i think a number of them, umpires, captains, players and officials alike have made some errors of judgement so lets just get over it and reflect on the great performances of those who played in a great game of cricket. Ricky stands up for his team, Kumble sticks up for his so who gives a toss who is wrong or right bring on the next game and may the best team win. Human error will always be part of the game whilst it is played by humans.

Willow

Assistant Moderator
rabbit4ever said:
Hey, Cricket is a game played and officiated upon by HUMAN BEINGS who are all prone to human error. Out of the all those Humans who participated i think a number of them, umpires, captains, players and officials alike have made some errors of judgement so lets just get over it and reflect on the great performances of those who played in a great game of cricket. Ricky stands up for his team, Kumble sticks up for his so who gives a toss who is wrong or right bring on the next game and may the best team win. Human error will always be part of the game whilst it is played by humans.
Very nice post.

A diplomat by nature no doubt.

mickdo

Coach
Micistm said:
Ponting is saying: We invented sledging, and we are damned good at it. But don't dare do it back to us or we'll run off and tell mummy
You really think Ponting invented sledging? :lol: :lol: :lol:

Brutus

Referee
Moffo said:
Never before has an Australian team descended into such controversy as the current team in their spat with the Indian squad

From what I have seen, Ponting is doing nothing to discipline his players, refusing to guide them in the principles of fair play that have been the backbone of the sport for 100s of years. Ponting gives as much verbal as anyone else in cricket today and then dares to complain when a generic insult is directed at Symonds. This comes from one of the highest profile sports people in Australia today. If you look at things objectively, it really is very sad.

Why did we never have such problems when Tubby/AB/Tugger were in control? No wonder Gilchrist doesn't like you Punter, take a long walk off a short plank

Cheers,
Moffo

Ponting is an arrogant tool, but Waugh was no better.

Moffo

Referee
Willow said:
Well don't get upset Moffo. Its just a fact that you've always had a dislike for the Australian cricket team. It has been the case since before Ponting was captain.

The reason seems to emanating from the belief that these players are representing you, and therefore you feel personally attached to their actions.

"i care about the people that are representing me"
- Moffo

Not being critical of you. But perhaps when it comes to these cricketers, your expectations are a tad high.

not upset willow, not sure where you got that from

anyway

so you are saying that my expectations are a little too high because i don't want the australian captain to be an obnoxious tosser?

ok, let me consider that and i'll come back to you

Moffo

Referee
TITAN1 said:
Get back to us when NZ win 16 in a row
Better yet,make that 6 in a row

what does the winning record have to do with this discussion?

hey wait let me answer it - nothing

Azkatro

First Grade
Ponting regret over Test furore

By Garry Linnell
January 10, 2008

IT seemed the perfect Tuesday morning for Ricky Ponting - until the call came to tell him the cricket world was burning and a growing mob was baying for him to be sacked as Australia captain.

Ponting was on the golf course for a charity game. The weather was sparkling, as was his form. Then his wife Rianna rang to tell him that chaos reigned.

"Have you seen the papers?" she asked. Ponting hadn't. "Is everything OK with your job?"

There were calls for Ponting to be dismissed along with several other leading members of the team. India's tour of Australia was in jeopardy. Effigies of Ponting had been burned in the streets of India.

"She was a bit worried and a bit shaken," Ponting said. "I said, 'Everything will be OK'."

Ponting spoke soon after with Cricket Australia chief executive Sutherland and was told he had the full support of the country's governing body.

However, as the fallout from one of the biggest crises in international cricket continued - even Ponting's parents have been forced to change their home telephone number after receiving abusive and threatening calls - the Australia skipper conceded there were elements of his side's performance in the second Test "that in hindsight you might do a little differently".

He pointed to his own actions, saying he had stood too long at the crease after being given out leg before in the first innings.

"There's no doubt I stood there for a second or two too long and I shouldn't have done that," he said.

"It probably didn't help that I was shown throwing my bat when I got back to the rooms.

"Some of the guys mightn't have shaken (India skipper Anil) Kumble's hand after the game but we were so wrapped up with the end of the game that they were already off the field.

"We all walked along when it was over and shook their hands."

Ponting said that when Australia meet in Perth on Sunday morning for their first briefing in the lead up to the Third Test, he would raise the Spirit of Cricket agreement that all Australia players have agreed to abide by and remind the team of its obligations as professionals on and off the field.

But he has denied accusations from leading former cricketers and sporting figures that the current team is arrogant and needs to soften its win-at-all-costs attitude.

"I don't think anyone wants the way Australia play cricket to change. Everyone likes to see a tough, uncompromising brand of cricket," he said.

"But if there are areas in our game to improve then obviously we need to address that."

One of the criticisms levelled at Australia was that their on-field celebration at the end of the game was excessive and arrogant.

"I've thought about this. If we were big-headed and arrogant we wouldn't have been celebrating like that," he said.

"Big headedness doesn't go hand in hand with the sort of euphoria we showed at the end of the game.

"I think we can all look back at that last Test and realise there were some little areas in that game that, if we had our time over, we might have done slightly differently."

Ponting will replay to his team television highlights of several key scenes from the second Test.

"We'll look at some of the footage. Its perception and the way people see things when they're off the field. I might be talking to opposition players on the field but it might be construed by people watching on television that you're in a slanging or sledging match when that's not the case.

"I think its important that we sit back and look at that footage. Look at our body language. See if there are areas we can improve on."

Ponting was dumbfounded at some of the reaction since the finish to the second Test, which Australia won by capturing three late wickets with minutes to spare to seize their 16th consecutive Test victory.

"What I want is for the Australian cricket team to be the most loved and the most respected sporting side in this country. That's always been one of my aims and it will continue to be," he said.

"One thing I've been conscious of over the last five years I've been captain is that this team is going to be recognised as one of the all-time great Australian cricket teams.

"But what I've also been conscious of is making sure the guys are remembered as being good people as well as great cricketers.

"In the last two or three seasons especially we've actually started to change the perception, the way in which the public see us. There have been less (players reported). We're ultra conscious of how we play the game and the spirit of cricket which we all signed on to."

West Indian umpire Steve Bucknor was replaced on Tuesday after pressure from India's governing cricketing body, while an appeal over the three-match suspension given to spinner Harbhajan Singh for calling Andrew Symonds a "monkey" has been deferred until after the Perth Test.

http://www.foxsports.com.au/story/0,8659,23030010-23212,00.html
They don't sound like the words of an arrogant captain to me. I think it's tremendous that Ricky Ponting is man enough to concede that there are areas where the Australian's can improve certain aspects of their behaviour on the field.

The question is, are the Indians prepared to make the same kind of admission and pledge to improve their behaviour? I'm waiting.

Twizzle

Administrator
Staff member
at least he can look at himself and the team and take notice of the public perception

Moffo

Referee
Twizzle said:
at least he can look at himself and the team and take notice of the public perception

only after days of people highlighting this to him. he obviously had no idea of the perception that some of us had out there

HevyDevy

Coach
Moffo said:
only after days of people highlighting this to him. he obviously had no idea of the perception that some of us had out there

I can't imagine India offering similar sentiments about their own

carcharias

Immortal
lets face it...cricketers are wankers.
They are like soccer players.

The gold braclets and shyte have been going on for years...and it must stop soon.