What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Rick Ponting is a disgrace

Bazal

Post Whore
Moffo said:
are you serious? come on bazal, surely you don't believe that

In theory, as I've said. Some sledgers take it too far and I know I've been on the end of some that crossed the line. But sledging should consist of strategically timed banter, not outright abuse.

Twizzle

Administrator
Staff member
you can sledge people on the field without abusing them Moffo

only last moth I had a wonderful conversation with a batsman asking him whether the bat was regulation width, because he couldn't seem to hit the ball with it

then I asked him if it came with instructions

that's not abuse

EGGG

Juniors
I agree, Ponting is a good player but he lacks the maturity, tact and diplomacy skills to be a captain.

The Australians weren't angels before but they've turned into a pack of wild dogs under Ponting. This culture has to be culled and it all starts with the captain.

Give the captaincy to Gilchrist and vice to Hussey.

Bazal

Post Whore
Twizzle said:
you can sledge people on the field without abusing them Moffo

only last moth I had a wonderful conversation with a batsman asking him whether the bat was regulation width, because he couldn't seem to hit the ball with it

then I asked him if it came with instructions

that's not abuse

:lol:

That's an awesome example of the difference between sledging and abuse...

Micistm

Bench
Lol, spin it all you like, but basically this is the guts of it, as described perfectly on Radio Sport in New Zealand, by an Australian Radio Host:

Ponting is saying: We invented sledging, and we are damned good at it. But don't dare do it back to us or we'll run off and tell mummy

And that's about right. Spin it all you want- Why they're racist and the choirboy that is Ponting has done nothing wrong...but the bottom line is like all bullies they don't like what they dish out back at them. And someone called their bluff and didn't take it. I think that's brilliant.

Micistm

Bench
EGGG said:
I agree, Ponting is a good player but he lacks the maturity, tact and diplomacy skills to be a captain.

The Australians weren't angels before but they've turned into a pack of wild dogs under Ponting. This culture has to be culled and it all starts with the captain.

Give the captaincy to Gilchrist and vice to Hussey.

Sums it up perfectly. A great side, and sadly this takes away the fact they are a fantastic side. And Ponting only has himself to blame for it

Bazal

Post Whore
Micistm said:
Lol, spin it all you like, but basically this is the guts of it, as described perfectly on Radio Sport in New Zealand, by an Australian Radio Host:

Ponting is saying: We invented sledging, and we are damned good at it. But don't dare do it back to us or we'll run off and tell mummy

And that's about right. Spin it all you want- Why they're racist and the choirboy that is Ponting has done nothing wrong...but the bottom line is like all bullies they don't like what they dish out back at them. And someone called their bluff and didn't take it. I think that's brilliant.

You really think racial abuse is sledging?

Bazal

Post Whore
You can...but abusing them personally crosses the line from sledging into outright verbal abuse.

Bazal

Post Whore
Let me make it easy for you...

Sledging:

Bowler-"It's red, round and has six stitches"
Sir Viv after hitting it for six -"You know what it looks like, go fetch it"

Abuse:

"White/Black merkin"

Easy enough yet?

JJ

Immortal
I've never heard a an example of a clever "sledge" from an Australian test cricketer... oh, no I think Healy once or twice... usually it's moronic e.g., McGrath, Warne, Waugh followed by a clever retort (e.g., Sarwan, Brandes, Cullinan, nuffie Englishman, Parore)

Willow

Assistant Moderator
Moffo said:
so that makes me an indian fan, or even an australian hater?

FFS
Well don't get upset Moffo. Its just a fact that you've always had a dislike for the Australian cricket team. It has been the case since before Ponting was captain.

The reason seems to emanating from the belief that these players are representing you, and therefore you feel personally attached to their actions.

"i care about the people that are representing me"
- Moffo

Not being critical of you. But perhaps when it comes to these cricketers, your expectations are a tad high.

IMO and having considered both sides of the press..

Ponting needs to step back and reconsider his leadership style...bold and brash is essential but so is an element of fairness and respect for his opposition and he does not display this which is a major issue.

The question that needs to be posed is: Does Ponting have the nous to be a captain..when the pressure is on he has not demonstrated a level head ??.

The Aussie obsession with winning at all costs has now become a obsession that will taint their success for a years to come...

Willow

Assistant Moderator
Moffo said:
well according to willow im a indian lover because i have an opinion against the way australia plays
Ummm... where did I call you an 'Indian lover' Moffo?

I haven't been delving into racial stereotypes. I simply responded to your obvious dislike for the Australian cricket team.
Mixmasterreece said:
What nationality is Michael Epis ?
What does his nationality have to do with it?

Latest posts