What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Ringas

TruSaint

Referee
Sorry Puff but I could never change my team. I have been a Saint since the early 60's. If the Dragons disappear that will be the end of following league for me.
Not only has our Board stuffed up but so have the people running this game with their favouritism of certain teams, poor refereeing, bunker interference, etc. etc.
I stopped paying my red v membership last year as I wasn't happy with the club's direction.
Lord knows where we'll end up but, like others, if Dean Young becomes the next coach that'll do me.

Yeah, excellent post.

Even in the darkest times, changing MY team has never entered my mind. Impossible.

Saints brought me to League, not the other way around. No Saints, then NFI.

BLM01

First Grade
If the club gives Young (or Hornby or any other rookie) the job without the correct foundations being put in place (identified during the interview process with Ryles), then we are doomed to failure.

We've seen this all before...

We went in hard for both Bellamy and Bennett again to coach us in 2015 & beyond, but both instances failed. We ended up with the old boy taking the job in what was basically a 'no contest'. Fair enough, Bellamy and Bennett rejected us, but what was the back up plan in terms of seeking out other outside options in the market??

The peanut then ends up becoming the longest serving coach in the entire history of St George, Illawarra, and STGI. Make no bones about it, this has ruined us for decades to come !! As much as Hook failed to galvanise the playing group, no one can downplay the mess that was left behind by the previous regime, no matter how hard they may try.

Message to Dean Young (and Ben Hornby) - you were both pivotal in helping us win our elusive premiership after a long drought in 2010. You played with a handful of other 'best in generation' players. You were coached by arguably the greatest of all time. I know you are passionate about this great club (and jeez it is so hard to believe that we are actually considered as a great club at this moment in time), but this is a ruthless results driven business. Take note about the decisions made by your mate Jason Ryles. Phone up and have a long chat with Ryles, Wayne Bennett and your former premiership winning team mates. Turn over every stone before you even consider taking this job and agreeing to any contract or T&Cs.

DO NOT BECOME A PUPPET FOR THIS INCOMPETENT AND OUT OF DEPTH BOARD AND FRONT OFFICE !!!

None of us want you to fail. But if you take this job without conducting the proper due diligence and ensuring the foundations are put in place to, not just assure but GET long term success (stakeholders of this club are sick of assurances and are demanding success + results), you are putting your reputation at considerable risk.
I said it in the Ryles thread. With the difficulty for full members to even get a say on our football clubs future let alone get on the board and make a difference.
What did Creagh have to do to be airlifted into a BOD position? is my biggest question or lack of understanding

BLM01

First Grade
Yeah, excellent post.

Even in the darkest times, changing MY team has never entered my mind. Impossible.

Saints brought me to League, not the other way around. No Saints, then NFI.
Agree except it was my paraents that brought me to the league and St George as a non-negotiable at 4 years of age on the fence near where the players run out at Kogarah for all 3 grades.
It been a rocky road marriage since but till death do us part

Puff

First Grade
Sorry Puff but I could never change my team. I have been a Saint since the early 60's. If the Dragons disappear that will be the end of following league for me.
Not only has our Board stuffed up but so have the people running this game with their favouritism of certain teams, poor refereeing, bunker interference, etc. etc.
I stopped paying my red v membership last year as I wasn't happy with the club's direction.
Lord knows where we'll end up but, like others, if Dean Young becomes the next coach that'll do me.
Dragons disappeared long ago mate. Yours and my club are no longer here, yet you have fooled yourself into believing this is St. George.

This club has 1 premiership mate, yet you're still here?

Mate you have changed clubs, you just don't know it, and are willing not to see it.

This club is now St George Illawarra, run and owned by the Illawarra. I am not sure what else to say.

We lost The Dragons back when we merged.

dannyt

Coach
Actually this is the new “post of the year “ sorry but how the f**k can anyone support a team and then decide to go and follow another team ?!?!?! Obviously was never a True Believer !!!!!
My thoughts.

This can only happen if your love of the game is greater than the love you have for the team you support. For most of us, it's the other way around, and so we hang around hoping it will get better, and never contemplate changing allegiances and supporting another team. I am definitely in the latter category. If our team disappears, many (me included) will stop supporting the game, or at least stop being as passionate as we once were.

I hold no animosity against those who support another team, such as @Puff. I have many great friends who support other teams, so it's not an issue. I also don't mind when posters who support other teams, such as @The Silverdale Phantom, @Miller was a legend, or even @Puff (subject to the below caveats) put their opinions on this forum. After all, it is an open forum and we are free to post our thoughts on other forums. I do get annoyed when posters who support other teams go onto Dragon's only forums, such as JA, but lately any post from @Puff reminds me of someone who has suddenly become vegan or into cross-fit-they can't wait to tell you this as soon as they meet you. It also also is reminiscent of the reformed alcoholic who goes on a crusade against all types of drinking. FFS, give it a rest. We know you used to be a supporter, we know you became disillusioned, we know you support the 'phins, we know you're happy in doing so, and we know that you believe you should've done something years ago.

We know all of this because you keep on f@#$ing telling us. Give it a rest.

BLM01

First Grade
Dragons disappeared long ago mate. Yours and my club are no longer here, yet you have fooled yourself into believing this is St. George.

Mate you have changed clubs, you just don't know it, and are willing not to see it.

This club is now St George Illawarra, run and owned by the Illawarra. I am not sure what else to say.

Well unfortunately we all believe what we want to believe or see what we want to see.
I still see them as the club i grew up with and so do many others who dont even support them

Thats OK if we all think and do the same then we would be robots....
Oh dear... its starting to happen in life now, long live the Dragons and Up The Saints !

Nanadragon

Juniors

I realise we're not the same club but we retained the name St George and the big Red v. If those disappear then so will I.
I am no fool by the way!

BLM01

First Grade
In my case it was my elder cousin, and as you say it was non-negotiable.
Your post resonates.
I forgot the part about getting there to have a parking spot no furthur than 100 metres (back then it was yards) away and to ensure we were near the front of the line waiting for the metal gates to open at 11.30am with my programme book and players numbered up to 51. 12.00pm Under 23's. 1.30pm reggies 3.00pm 1sts.
"Sweets.. Chips..Peanuts"
Loved the food boys having to climb over 20 rows of people when someone yells out I'll have an ice cream
I dreamt of that job..fair to say it never happened!

Last edited:

Gareth67

First Grade
I recall my father taking me to a game waaaay back in the late 50’s and I watched a Saints player pick up a South’s player body and spear him into the ground .

I asked dad who the old baldly head bloke was - he said thats Poppa . Of course even at 9 years of age I was nobodies fool and replied that ain’t Grandpa , our Grandpa has hair !

Of course as time went by I realized that I was watching one of the best rugby league teams around and years later I came to the conclusion they were one of the greatest ever .

Roll the decades by to the year 2023 and here the Dragons are sitting quite comfortably at the bottom of the ladder , they are certainly no longer the best nor the greatest but merely a very sad reflection of what they once were - and that is merely owing to the St.George and the Dragon emblem on their jerseys .

Since the days of Wayne Bennett the club has had continued on a downward spiral until now - well let’s just say it’s very lonely at the bottom of the heap .

We have always known the problems with a dysfunctional
board that that not know if it’s Arthur or Martha - St.George or Illawarra , or as we actually are - St.George Illawarra.

In my opinion the WIN Corp have a lot to answer for as they believe that our football team is nothing more than another financial acquisition .

The WIN corp needs to be amputated from our club and another major financial heavyweight who truly believes in rugby league and also in St.George Illawarra region itself must be found as that is the only way there will be a future for the team .

Last edited:

Dragon David

First Grade
Yes for those that can read it but the headline is enough for me.
It wont happen and never will except for melbourne many years ago
The NRL and broadcasters already throw funding at the clubs.
We have to get ourselves out of it or perish
Looks like we perish BLM01 unless the "ourselves" are treating things more seriously.