What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

RIP - Bob Fulton

Gareth67

First Grade
Such a shame , one of the most gifted centers in the game . Recall the front page of the Sunday Telegraph or Sports lift out the day after Manly were beaten by Souths in the ‘68 grand final.

A photo of him standing alone on a deserted hill at the SCG , covered in streamers and empty beer cans . The headline went something along the lines of ‘ This young man will have better years to come ‘ .

How right they were ! Rest easy Bobby - you were one of the best .

getsmarty

Immortal
Rugby league legend Bob Fulton dead at 73
Rugby league is in mourning after the death of football icon Bob Fulton, whose passing sent shockwaves through Australia’s sporting community.

James Matthey

jamesmatthey
dd423ba46d49b59b6471332a730d68dc

May 23, 20212:01pm
d798e291d0eb33dd5032a8d7e30a53c2

Rugby league icon Bob Fulton has died aged 73 after a long battle with cancer.

Tributes began pouring in for the footy legend when his death was confirmed on Sunday afternoon.

Close friend and veteran broadcaster Ray Hadley was rocked by the news, which he delivered live on air.

“It’s a very sad day for the Fulton family and rugby league generally,” Hadley said. “I’ve announced some sad things on radio but this could be the saddest.

“I’m going to miss him, he was a great man ... the most loyal friend I’ve ever had. He’ll be sadly missed.”

Hadley’s commentary colleagues on 2GB’s Continuous Call team — where Fulton used to work — were also shattered.

“It is with a broken heart, we announce that our dear friend, immortal Bob Fulton, has died,” they posted on Twitter.

Continuous Call team member Dave Morrow fought back tears as he spoke about his great mate.

“I’m blown away because he’s been a big part of me ever since I came to Sydney in 1980 as a broadcaster,” Morrow said.

“Geez there’s some players that owe their careers to him. It is like a dagger in the heart.”

Plenty on social media were quick to pay their respects.

Channel 7 reporter Taylor Auerbach wrote: “Listening to the guys fighting back tears on @2GB873 @ContinuousCall about the death of Bob Fulton is extremely tough, moving, raw, incredible radio. RIP Bob Fulton.”

Broadcaster and NRL expert John Gibbs, who played with and worked alongside Fulton, told ABC radio the news was “very difficult to take in.”

Former NRL star Jamie Soward tweeted: “Thoughts and prayers go out to the family and everyone that knew Bob Fulton. Legend player, legend bloke.”

Journalist Steve Hart added: “In total shock Bob Fulton gone! One of the all time greats. RIP Bozo and condolences to family and friends. Sad day.”

Fulton was surrounded by family and close friends when he passed away on Sunday morning. He is survived by wife Anne, daughter Kirsty and his sons Brett and Scott.

Fulton was an outstanding player, recognised for his on-field achievements by being named an Immortal. He played 35 Tests for Australia and coached the Kangaroos from 1989-1998.

The man known as “Bozo” played more than 200 games for Manly and was synonymous with the club, coaching it for more than 300 games across two lengthy stints in the 1980s and 1990s.

In a total of 428 first grade games, he won three premierships with Manly and two with Eastern Suburbs when he made the move across in the late 1970s.

One of the godfathers of rugby league, Fulton became a trusted advisor and confidante to many within the game. He was a vital sounding board at Manly and also helped out NSW during State of Origin campaigns

Fulton boasts the rare honour of having won premierships as a player, captain and coach.

https://www.news.com.au/sport/nrl/r...s/news-story/8d2e08400c1ccb8bed4913fef7ca31b1

Old Timer

Coach
Without a doubt Fulton would be in my top 5 favourite Australian players and truly worthy of his immortal status.

Warrington's loss was certainly Australia's gain and if not for his parents immigrating he would have been a great adversary and would have given the Kangaroos a terrible time of it and TBH IMO he actually played the game like the great English halves and centres of that era.

Speed, step, agile, tough, fierce determination and never wavering will to win as a player and coach.

I can remember roundly booing him one week at the SCG in a club game and the very next week when he ran out in the green and gold (how good was the Australian jersey back then) I was yelling "go Bobby go" and cheering his every play.

The players in this modern who take so much from the game and give so little back could do well to emulate the likes of Bozo who remained a great servant of the game at all levels well after his playing career was done and dusted.

Just like Tommy you played the game hard and whilst it is sad you have been given an early shower thanks for all the memories and watching you play was a pleasure.

Blood Shot Eyes

First Grade
Had the pleasure of chatting with Bobby while we were queuing on a bleak and miserable day at Endeavour Field when the Poms were out here and were playing against Tommy Bishops Cronulla side.....easy to talk to friendly likeable bloke from memory that was just one of the crowd waiting to go into the ground....he was one hellava player and was Manly through and through....a true Immortal of the game and will be sadly missed but never forgotten...condolences to his wife and family....
RIP Bozo

The_Team_Won

Juniors
A very sad day for the game of Rugby League. I knew him when I was a kid back in the late 1960's Bob Fulton lived around the corner from me in Sydney's northern beaches suburb of Harbord (now known as Freshwater) these days. He was the greatest player to ever play for the Sea Eagles by far, It was a total stroke of luck for Manly that Bob's 1st grade debut was with the Sea Eagles in the first place. In the pre season of 1966 Bob had been trialling with the then defending premiers St George Dragons on a Friday afternoon he was told to turn up at the Dragons Secretary Frank Facers office on the Monday morning and sign a contract with the Dragons to play for them.....But on the Saturday morning Sea Eagles Secretary Ken Arthurson slipped in and convinced Fulton to sign with the Manly Warringah Sea Eagles. It turned out Fulton was the biggest Signing of Arthurson's career and the biggest miss signing of Facers career.

R. I. P. Bob Fulton

Blood Shot Eyes

First Grade
A very sad day for the game of Rugby League. I knew him when I was a kid back in the late 1960's Bob Fulton lived around the corner from me in Sydney's northern beaches suburb of Harbord (now known as Freshwater) these days. He was the greatest player to ever play for the Sea Eagles by far, It was a total stroke of luck for Manly that Bob's 1st grade debut was with the Sea Eagles in the first place. In the pre season of 1966 Bob had been trialling with the then defending premiers St George Dragons on a Friday afternoon he was told to turn up at the Dragons Secretary Frank Facers office on the Monday morning and sign a contract with the Dragons to play for them.....But on the Saturday morning Sea Eagles Secretary Ken Arthurson slipped in and convinced Fulton to sign with the Manly Warringah Sea Eagles. It turned out Fulton was the biggest Signing of Arthurson's career and the biggest miss signing of Facers career.

R. I. P. Bob Fulton
Yes hard to believe Bozo has gone....great place yourself and Bob came from Harbord .....an amazing club Harbord Diggers travelled there on many occassions from The Sutherland Shire as my wifes parents were members there and used to catch up with Terry Randall my wifes cousin....spent many hours watching Bozo weave his magic at Brooky...sady missed