What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

RIP Brian Hambly (1938 - 2008)

Stagger eel

Staff member
I'm absolutely devestated, a sad sad day for the club.

another legend gone..the memory lives on.

(Thanks for the text MITS, I just couldn't replay at the time)

bradeel

Juniors
I hope i am not being inappropriate because its a very sad day for the club with this news and i definitely don't want to trivialise, but I would have thought the side might have put in a gutsier and more committed effort whilst wearing the black armbands through the death of a club legend.

RIP Brian Hambly.

Kola Emcee

Juniors
Brian Hambly is my mum's uncle. The first I heard about it was at the Eels vs Saints game. We're all shattered. I never got to meet him myself which was a huge shame, because I always wished I could. Rest in peace Brian Hambly.

hineyrulz

Post Whore
Terrible news :( From what a have and read and heard about the man he was a true legend of Parramatta. RIP.

Stagger eel

Staff member
Brian "Grumpy" Hambly

Eels player number: 196

1961-67

Games: 111 tries: 6 Goals: 46

NSW: 1959-64 Games: 11
Australia: 1959-65 Games: 18

Last edited:

Gronk

Staff member
Passing of a league legend

2/09/2008 7:52:00 AM

350574.jpg

SAD LOSS: Brian Hambly (third from the left) pictured at the 20th reunion for Shamrocks with former Lithgow teammates (from left) Andy Edgar, Gerard Martin, Brian Conran, Jeff Geddes and Graeme Pattison

One of rugby league’s true legends of the game, former Lithgow Shamrocks captain coach Brian Hambly passed away suddenly on Saturday morning.Hambly was voted as one of rugby league’s best 100 players to play the game as part of the NRL Centenary celebrations.
The man nicknamed "Grumpy'' came up through the Rabbitohs' junior ranks before making his first grade debut for the club as a teenager in 1956.
Hambly spent three years with the Rabbitohs, playing 33 matches, before taking on the captain-coach role at Wagga Wagga Magpies prior to the start of the 1959 season.
From there he won Country selection, going on to represent NSW and Australia that same year.
In 1961 Hambly signed with the Eels, his arrival coinciding with a turnaround in fortunes for the club as it qualified for the finals each year between 1962 and 1965.
Hambly finished with 105 games for the club over seven seasons, including a stint as captain-coach in 1967, and also played the bulk of his 18 Tests for Australia while with Parramatta.
One of the toughest players to play the game, Hambly came to Lithgow in 1968 with his wife Denise at the end of his Sydney career to take over the Lithgow Hotel.
He signed with Lithgow Shamrocks as captain coach and even though he was into his 30s he rode rough shod over opposing packs and was one of the most respected players who had ever played in Group 10.
A very popular person, Hambly assimilated into the Lithgow culture quickly and even took up hockey for the first time in his life, and had the fortune to win a premiership in B grade with Hornets.
After leaving Lithgow, he bought and sold a number of hotels in the Sydney area and was still in the hotel at the time of his death.
He was a good friend of former Parramatta teammate Barry Rushworth of Lithgow with both touring England with the Kangaroos in 1963.
He was 71 years of age.
Condolences are offered to wife Denise and his family from his many Lithgow friends and acquaintances.
http://lithgow.yourguide.com.au/news/local/sport/general/passing-of-a-league-legend/1259988.aspx

Latest posts