What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

RIP Dean Jones

nöyd

Staff member
Still remember his double ton in India where he passed out with dehydration and was hospitalized.
He lost 7 kg during the innings apparently. As someone who has been hospitalized more than once due to dehydration, it must have been 1000% tougher in the cauldron of test cricket, especially in India.

Fangs

Coach
Before my time, but even I wanted to play like this guy growing up.

I had this book below and always had Dean Jones' coin missing. Got it years later:

75E471D6-EBBB-4F55-8B54-1BAC467B8435.jpeg.jpg

Few of the early cricket magazines I got in the late 90s mentioned his name frequently. He looked like a rockstar and watching his highlights proves it. Cavalier batsman who played with flair. Looked pretty sharp in the field as well.

Last edited:
Feel very sorry for Binga. For the rest of his life, he'll have those final moments of Deano's life permanently etched in his memory. There's absolutely no way he could ever forget an incident such as that. Less than 24 hours earlier, they would've been commentating, joking, laughing together, and it then just suddenly comes to an abrupt end at the moment you least expect....life can be very cruel.

In the interview he did with Crash Craddock, Jason Gillespie had a near identical experience when he was coaching Yorkshire in the UK. His father came over to visit him at his home and whilst he was helping him with something next to his car, Dizzy's dad had heart attack and died. CPR was of no avail.

A side note, I’ve always thought what the real effect on the guys who were at the SCG when Phil Hughes got hit ... Dave Warner in particular was riding on the medicab that took Hughes off the ground..

I’m feeling really reflective after that news last night. Like many of you.

Thinking about it, the impact to me is I watched cricket religiously as a kid, starting in the 80’s when one day cricket really became the hottest thing on tv and tickets to games were like getting a golden ticket to visit Willy Wonkas chocolate factory. It was that big.

And one of the star attractions was Dean Jones. Aggressive, flamboyant, skilful, and quick. Probably the best runner between wickets I’ve ever seen. And in the field he was an absolute weapon, a standout in his era.

He was a huge part of my childhood and love of cricket. I love watching the old games better than live ones much of the time. And he is a big reason for that. Not looking through rose-coloured glasses, just reflecting on what was the emergence of my absolute love of cricket - which has been such a huge part of my life, watching and playing.

I’m now in middle-age. And a childhood hero has sadly passed on. For many us, and countless others in Australia, and around the world also. RIP Deano.

Twizzle

Administrator
Staff member
He lost 7 kg during the innings apparently. As someone who has been hospitalized more than once due to dehydration, it must have been 1000% tougher in the cauldron of test cricket, especially in India.

I remember him being interviewed and asked about how hard his second hundred was in the heat and humidity and he said he couldn't remember his second hundred

mozza91

Coach
He was before my time as a cricket fan but just watching old highlights you can see the guys class and the amount of tributes to him just show how respected he was around the world.

Speed dealers and a popped collar are the epitome of high fashion.

RIP

undertaker

Coach
It takes balls of steel to face Waqar Younis without a helmet, especially with the hooping reverse swing at pace that bowlers such as him used to be able to get in the final 10 overs of an ODI innings back when one ball was used throughout the entire 50 overs. Although he had already suffered the first of numerous injuries (that ruled him out of the 1992 World Cup) throughout his career, Waqar was still lightning quick when he toured Australia in 1992/93 as seen in the first clip where he bowled Jones. A month or so later at an ODI tri-series tournament in South Africa, Waqar was regularly clocked at 150km/h (even as high as 154km/h according to South African commentator Trevor Quirk).

This partnership between Jones and Mark Waugh in the 2nd final of the 1993/94 World Series stands out, where Australia had to win 2nd and 3rd finals to win the World Series. Allan Donald looked about 10km/h quicker than 4 years later when South Africa toured in 1997/98.

Batsmen like David Warner would be crapping his pants if he faced Donald/Wasim/Waqar/Snell et al on lively pitches without a helmet:

Last edited:

undertaker

Coach
Absolutely. Watched this last night mate, someone posted the clip here. Bicknell got absolutely carted.

How good was the sight of a bloke in yellow, in a hat, smacking the ball to all parts of the Gabba, which was packed to the rafters...

Ah, the days when the Gabba had the old dog track around the perimeter and great crowd atmosphere before it turned into a soulless monolith.

I love watching the old games better than live ones much of the time. And he is a big reason for that. Not looking through rose-coloured glasses, just reflecting on what was the emergence of my absolute love of cricket - which has been such a huge part of my life, watching and playing.

I’m now in middle-age. And a childhood hero has sadly passed on. For many us, and countless others in Australia, and around the world also. RIP Deano.

Although I started following cricket regularly just after the Border/Deano/Merv Hughes era in 1995, just as players started to become full-time professionals and better athletes (e.g. very few fielders were athletic and could bullet 80+ metre throws from the boundary fence before Ricky Ponting's era), I agree that ODI matches from when I was growing up and even watching highlights from matches in the decade before mine ('80s) were much better than today. The balance between bat and ball was more even and the pitch/conditions offered more for bowlers, which separated the "wheat from the chaff". Below-par batsmen couldn't just score runs with consummate ease like they do these days.

Now, with the multitude of rule changes that have occurred over the past 15 years, as well as the rise of T20 cricket, the ODI format has become nothing more than a longer, glorified 7 hour version of T20, where for the most part it's just "wicket, 4, 6, 4, 6, 4, 6, occasional wicket etc". The value of hitting a 6 has diminished when top edges clear the rope. The skill of developing partnerships in the middle overs (which ICC/tournament organisers deemed as "boring", which then led to the constant rule changes starting from 2005) has nearly disappeared, most batsmen have no idea what to do on the rare occasion when the ball moves slightly (like Warner who looked completely clueless in the 1st ODI of the recent tour of England, when Woakes/Archer got the ball nipping around in the air and off the seam in the first few overs).

Deano had the natural flair during his generation, but at the same time had the skill and concentration to hang in there and develop those long batting partnerships in difficult conditions.

undertaker

Coach
Last professional match of Deano I ever recall watching was NSW vs Victoria one-day match at North Sydney Oval 1997. Unfortunately got run out by Mark Waugh for 4.

Have a look at all the big names in both team lineups. Crowd of nearly 15k, which is more than what a lot of international matches around the world get:

https://www.espncricinfo.com/series...les-vs-victoria-mercantile-mutual-cup-1997-98

Deano also played for Australia in the XXXX Beach Cricket tri-series during 2007-09.

hineyrulz

Post Whore
I must say i'm still a little shocked, i've been watching those Fox classics games the last couple of months and you forget how a good a ODI player he was.

He was an innovater, wether it was running between the wickets,his fielding or the first bloke to wear Sunnies he was always leading the way with something new. He was one of the first blokes to actually make money with his bat contracts..

My first ever International game live was the 3rd final in 1988/9 against the mighty Windies, Deano played a blinder and him and Tugga smashed them all over the park and put on 80 odd in a hurry and i will never forget the flat batted 6 he swatted over our heads. We set the Windies 230 odd in just 36 overs which was a winning total in 50 overs back then. Sadly the rain came and turned the run chase into a doddle and the Windies got home with ease. I left the game buzzing and absolutely hooked on the great game.

RIP - thanks for the memories The Jones Boy!!

hineyrulz

Post Whore
I remember him being interviewed and asked about how hard his second hundred was in the heat and humidity and he said he couldn't remember his second hundred
He got it off just 66 balls lols.

I think he said he couldn't run so he slogged, blocked and then vomited in about that order his way to 200.

Amazing knock.