What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

RIP Harry Eden

Willow

Assistant Moderator
[SIZE=+1]League community mourns passing of Harry Eden[/SIZE]
15/12/2006
Eden-Harry-2004.jpg

The rugby league community today is mourning the passing of Harry Eden who lost his battle with cancer at St George Hospital overnight, aged 64.

Eden played 81 first grade games from 1969-1975, mainly in the forwards. Initially a centre with Eastern Suburbs (Roosters), Harry Eden was put in the front row in the 1971 grand final by St George coach Jack Gibson. Eden put together a powerhouse display for the Dragons in their 16-10 loss to South Sydney and played out the rest of his career in the forwards.

A tough competitor on the field and highly respected off the field, Harry Eden came from a large family of 16 children.

Nephew Matthew Asbeck said Harry Eden’s contributions to friends and family could not be overstated.

“He was much loved and respected by every single family member,” said Mr Asbeck.

“And since he was one of 16 children, you can truly imagine the size of our family.

“He was the ‘rock’ of the family without any doubt. If anyone needed help Harry was first there with his help.”

After retiring from first grade in 1975, Eden prided himself on his physical fitness and was playing as recently as 2004 when he took part in a fund-raiser for the ‘St George Dragons Allstars’ [pictured]. Proceeds from the match were donated to the Joanne Mackay Breast Cancer Foundation.

Harry Eden is survived by his wife Carol, and son and daughter Peter and Kim.

Harry Eden Fact File
Easts (1969) 9 games, 3 tries
St George (1971-73) 34 games (including replacements), 7 tries
Souths (1974-75) 38 games, 17 tries

[FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]WWW.JUBILEEAVENUE.COM.AU[/FONT]

http://www.leagueunlimited.com/article.asp?ID=12598

OVP

Coach
Thats wonderful of you to do that Willow. Thank you very much mate :)

This guy was STILL playing rugby league into his 60's. He died aged 64. I know im biased because im his nephew ... but i swear to god i've NEVER known anyone as fit and keen to play rugby league like this guy. He was a true legend, and im going to miss him like you people wouldnt believe. Our "Rock" is gone .... but heaven has just gained one hell of a player. Who else could score 17 tries from 38 games as a bloody prop ?!! Ive not heard of stats like that until Willow mentioned them. Incredible and thanks so much for doing that Willow :)

Willow

Assistant Moderator
No problems OVP. Added the age.

64 is too young. All the best mate.

gregstar

Referee
sad news.

our thoughts are with you ovp.

whilst i never saw him play, my old man rated him highly.

gunnamatta bay

Referee
I went to that charity game at Jubilee. It was about 35 degrees and Harry was in the thick of it. The Tomahawks must have thought they breed em tough over here.

The club is catering for 400 for next Wednesdays wake.

innsaneink

Referee
Brave Harry took on giants

0,,5334984,00.jpg

By James Phelps
December 16, 2006 12:00

HARRY Eden was the little big-man who took on the giants of rugby league.
In an era that featured some of league's hardest forwards – including John Sattler and John O'Neill – the diminutive Eden proved to be as tough a prop as them all. As news came yesterday of Eden's passing at the age of 63 after a long battle with cancer, tributes poured in from former league stars.
One of the most colourful characters in league, Eden was diagnosed with a malignant melanoma in 2004 and was rushed to hospital on Tuesday after falling ill.
"Harry really stung when he hit you," recalled Souths and Roosters legend Ron Coote.
"He was only 13 stone and small for a prop, but Harry was all muscle and he just steamed into the line and tackled front on with no fear."
Eden, who holds the record for most tries scored in a season by a front-rower – 11 with Souths in 1975 – was a tough man with a big heart.
After playing centre with Easts in 1969, Eden had a distinguished stint with St George, playing prop in Jack Gibson's losing 1971 grand final side, before having two great seasons at Souths.
Immortal Graeme Langlands said: "Harry was a real toiler on the field and a great bloke off the field."
Eden's funeral will be at 1pm on Wednesday at Shire Christian Centre, Sutherland.

Only remembered him at Souths, but he was always know as a tough nut.
Condolences OVP & family.

11Straight

Juniors
I never seen the man play but anyone who wears the red and white is a legend in my eyes RIP mate.

Go Nulla

Bench
He was as tough as teak in an era of tough nuts, and never took a backwards step against any of them. RIP Harry Eden.

The Preacher

First Grade
OVP, My most sincere condolences to you and associated family members for this very sad loss.
I saw a lot of Harry's career and was lucky enough to be in his company a couple of times.
When I was much younger I used to frequent Harold Park on Friday nights and 9 times out of 10 Harry was in attendance.
A hard but good man. I respected his values and friends of his that I know speak in nothing but glowing terms of him.
He will be sadly missed by all who new him or saw him. :(

Quigs

Immortal
Sorry to come on late.... but Ive been MIA.

It is sad to hear the passing of another one of the old school.

RIP Harry.

If my memory serves me correct I think Harry scored three tries in a game against my "Sharkies" in a Match of the Day at the SCG many years ago.

I am probably wrong but it came to mind when I heard of his sad passing.

Maybe someone here might be able to verify it...

Its a bugger growing old.... you just remember blokes like Harry as they were all those years ago....

Quigs