What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

RIP John Sattler

JJ

Immortal
Unquestionably a legend of the game. RIP to an absolute champion

King hit

Coach
A very tough man who fought hard through some very tough life experiences. RIP legend condolences to his friends and family

Wb1234

Referee

A tough and skilled player, a gentleman off it. Condolence to his friends and family.

Danish

Referee
Met him once at his pub in QLD in the early 2000s.

a work colleague of my dad’s had worked win him for a short period in the 80s at a brewery, so took us Sattler’s pub hoping to talk his way into getting a photo as my dad is a big fan.

not only does he remember remember my dad’s mate by name, he sat us down at a table, poured us some beers and joined us for a solid 2 hours reminiscing about the brewery they worked at and answering any questions my dad asked.

Absolutely tremendous man. Even then I recall his handshake feeling like I was shaking a block of solid granite.

RIP the man and condolences to his family

Last edited:

SpaceMonkey

Immortal
Met him once at his pub in QLD in the early 2000s.

a work colleague of my dad’s had worked win him for a short period in the 80s at a brewery, so took us Sattler’s pub hoping to talk his way into getting a photo as my dad is a big fan.

not only does he remember remember my dad’s mate by name, he sat us down at a table, poured us some beers and joined us for a solid 2 hours reminiscing about the brewery they worked at and answering any questions my dad asked.

Absolutely tremendous man. Even then I recall his handshake feeling like I was shaking a block of solid granite.

RIP the man and condolences to his family
Great story! Working at a brewery- that’s one of the classic post footy career job setups.

Steel Saints

Juniors
Condolences to Scott Sattler and his family. His father will always be remembered. Always sad to lose a legend of the game. A mighty tough rabbit.

RIP John Sattler.

GongPanther

Referee
During the late 60's through the early 70's, Souths were a great, hard and tough playing outfit during those years. And of all the players to stand out from that champion club of that area was Satts.

Satts is a true icon of our game who will go down in history as a great bloke as much as a great player.

R.I.P. Satts.

yobbo84

First Grade
At 39 years old I'm too young to have watched John Sattler play, but I grew up hearing all the stories.

I do however remember the 2009 Return to Redfern, when they played a legends touch footy match before and Satts "scored" a runaway try, with all the defenders falling behind him. Crowd went nuts. He has always been held in high reverence at the club.

RIP Satts.

Here's the video:

Latest posts