What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Riverina Schoolboys Carnival - Junee

Rocket

Juniors
So my son is finally old enough to be playing in this carnival this weekend (he plays in the Canberra region comp). Being a relatively recent blow in from Qld, I am led to believe by the locals this is one of the longest running junior sporting events of any kind and draws over 150 teams from all over NSW and further afield.

Anyone else going or has been and can offer any advice on what to expect?

ozenzud

Juniors
Rocket I played in this carnival when I was a kid and I'm 40 something now. It was big then and had been going for years in my day.

I haven't been for many, many years, but it was a big day then, sounds like it might be a weekend now? You'll enjoy yourself, just watch out for the locals......Being from group 9 you grow up, never trusting anyone from Junee...or wagga........

TheRam

Coach
Rocket I played in this carnival when I was a kid and I'm 40 something now. It was big then and had been going for years in my day.

I haven't been for many, many years, but it was a big day then, sounds like it might be a weekend now? You'll enjoy yourself, just watch out for the locals......Being from group 9 you grow up, never trusting anyone from Junee...or wagga........

Why is that dude?

Rocket

Juniors
Well the heavens opened up and the boys played in what can only be described as a mud bath. Our kids won their group and got a pennant which made the long trip worthwhile.

One team they played were by far the biggest grubs I've seen. Multiple head high tackles (one of our players received three in a row, all penalised). But worst by far was the thug who took two swings at the head of one of our players while he was being tackled. And this is U8s.

Ref was on the other side so missed it but I got the whole thing on video so still might lodge a complaint.

Apart from that it was a well run event that just happened to cop some awful weather. Highly recommended and we'll be back next year.

Last edited:

jords

Juniors
hey rocket my little fella played in the 8s aswell.he was in the magpies team, lost all games but was still a great day...was your little fella in the canberra team?i think we played them in the last game..he got 4 tries in that game,i was very proud and he was happy with himself..

Last edited:

Rocket

Juniors
jords there were 4 Canberra clubs in U8s (Valley Dragons, Gungahlin, Tuggeranong and my son's West Belconnen team) but we played Cootamundra last so we wouldn't have been in your group.

I believe the Valley Dragons and Gungahlin also won their groups which was 3 out of 4 for the entered Canberra teams in U8s which was a great result. But the main thing was the kids had a great time and got to play against different teams.

barty

Juniors
Well the heavens opened up and the boys played in what can only be described as a mud bath. Our kids won their group and got a pennant which made the long trip worthwhile.

The Gundagai team they played were by far the biggest grubs I've seen. Multiple head high tackles (one of our players received three in a row, all penalised). But worst by far was the thug who took two swings at the head of one of our players while he was being tackled. And this is U8s.

Ref was on the other side so missed it but I got the whole thing on video so still might lodge a complaint.

Apart from that it was a well run event that just happened to cop some awful weather. Highly recommended and we'll be back next year.

Last edited:

barty

Juniors
I was at that game Rocket.Did your video show the player replaced and delt with.Gundagai u8's had 2 teams entered in the carnival.But not all players showed up,and with some players leaving early some of the remaining chose to play all 8 games.They showed great team spirit and a lot of heart as they battled on through the day.I also have a son in this team.He loves his footy and so do his team mates.For you Rocket to call these young boys grubs is unexceptable and inapropiate especially on a website.These boys are only 8 years old,and if you have nothing better to do than complain and whinge go right ahead.By the way im Barty, and im the VERY PROUD COACH OF THE GUNDAGAI/ADELONG U8'S.

Spot On

Coach
Geez, under 8's turning it on. I grew up in the area, loved Group nine. Tough kids, great breeding ground for league. However, sounds as if some of the parents need a kick in the arse if that's the sort of thing going on.

Rocket

Juniors
barty the video I've got clearly shows one of your players go up to one of our players who was already held in a tackle by two players. He then doesn't make any attempt to tackle, instead he throws a deliberate punch at the head of of our player while he is being held. Then as our player is brought to the ground, he sinks another punch into the back of his head.

This wasn't a hard or high tackle that went too far with kids coming up swinging at each other. It was a deliberate and calculated act to strike an opponent to the head multiple times while they were held and defenceless. I don't recall him being replaced, but count yourself lucky we decided not to cite the player for further action.

Edit: I've removed the name of the club from the original post as I guess it really doesn't serve any purpose. My issue is that this type of behaviour is unacceptable in junior footy regardless of which club.

Last edited:

Rocket

Juniors
Maybe it was the other team from your club? That would explain why you wouldn't have seen it.

Anyway I've had my say, overall the day and experience was great and we'll be back next year.

Latest posts