What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

RL expansion in Sydney and Brisbane

T-Boon

Coach
Currently the code seems almost proud of excluding the middle and upper classes.
I understand being proud of the history as it were of being working class but why not try to expand into the middle and upper classes rather than leave those people for Rugby to lose to AFL.
I think there should be a NRL captain Apollo team dedicated to how we take over the Eastern Suburbs, the inner city and the Northern Beaches.

taipan

Referee
You get the game into the GPS and Associated Schools in Sydney as a starting point.Possibly use 9s as your entree.
Ensure players don't act like idiots offfield ,to give the game a better image than it currently has.

And you have former players who commentate on the game, speak clearly with the ability to create more than one sentence in their commentary.IOW if you can't speak clearly and analyse a game like P Sterling ,then, go to the pub where you'd be better appreciated with the other mumblers.

Then you might get up market companies advertising in NRL games.Like Ansell rubber products.o_O

MugaB

Coach
Currently the code seems almost proud of excluding the middle and upper classes.
I understand being proud of the history as it were of being working class but why not try to expand into the middle and upper classes rather than leave those people for Rugby to lose to AFL.
I think there should be a NRL captain Apollo team dedicated to how we take over the Eastern Suburbs, the inner city and the Northern Beaches.
No ones exclusively excluding those classes if anything the demographic for what each team used to represent has also changed, the richer upper class that supported the sea eagles and bears from the 70s onwards now are that demographic for the roosters and souths, manly now has a 2nd generation surfy, pub and skater aswell as middle class locals.
Canterbury was the Rich club, probably still is, but as the entertainers and self proclaimed family club, its demographic has shifted every decade, depending on which fan followed which era of doggies domanance, it all varies,
Wests were always the battlers, fibros, and now and still have that perception even with the tigers brand.
There is a big loss in the northern suburbs tho, and either needs manly and roosters to step up and represent or move on and let norths back in

flippikat

Bench

Precisely. Getting the Sydney Roosters to encompass the North Shore has been mentioned so many times here before, but it strikes me as a great 'fit', culture-wise.

LeagueXIII

First Grade
I think these demographics have a long way to go in terms of growth. It was something dave smith identified when he came in. Unfortunately the image of the game has taken a smashing over the years thus driving this market to other sports. We'd won them over during the Tina Turner years however once all the negativity of SL came and then the trashing of the games image they weren't going to stick around.

Now that we are in partnership with News Ltd they should ease up on us with the hysteria and help to grow the game and rebuild it to where it was.

taipan

Referee
I think these demographics have a long way to go in terms of growth. It was something dave smith identified when he came in. Unfortunately the image of the game has taken a smashing over the years thus driving this market to other sports. We'd won them over during the Tina Turner years however once all the negativity of SL came and then the trashing of the games image they weren't going to stick around.

Now that we are in partnership with News Ltd they should ease up on us with the hysteria and help to grow the game and rebuild it to where it was.

It was something Moffett earlier thasn Smith mentioned..He said on 2UE it was too hard to get into the Private schools Sydney.A bleeding defeatist with as much guts as a jelly fish. Good on a push bike though.

mongoose

Coach
League is pretty popular amongst the middle class in Brisbane, not sure about Sydney. Generally I don't think the upper class is into sport much at all.

I get what you're saying though, the NRL seems to market itself to the most blue collared, bogan sections of society only.

taipan

Referee
League is pretty popular amongst the middle class in Brisbane, not sure about Sydney. Generally I don't think the upper class is into sport much at all.

I get what you're saying though, the NRL seems to market itself to the most blue collared, bogan sections of society only.

Judging by then 13 AFL clubs who have at different times broken the covid protocols,they have their fair share of bogans.Qld is certainly finding that out now, even Eddie Everywhere was in a night club, using some BS excuse for being g there.
I remember some years back, when rugby league tipping comps were the thing in Sydney, the Macquarie Bank in Sydney with all the banking/broker types involved rugby league was far and away teh biggest tipping comp.
Although when I was at a union playing private school, the students I knew had their fave rugby league clubs.Don't know the situation now.
Getting ads for Kentucky fried etc, creates the fast food addict types.

Perth Red

Post Whore
Buy Vlandys a suit that fits him, that’d be a good start to improving the games image to the upper classes lol.

The Great Dane

First Grade

Don't you mean "we" won "them" over in the Winfield cup years, then when they tried to heavily invest into the sport during the late 90s we ran them off with pitchforks, then we got upset that they left.

taipan

Referee
Buy Vlandys a suit that fits him, that’d be a good start to improving the games image to the upper classes lol.

That's a really a dumb comment, then hardly unexpected from you.
That's like stupidly suggesting not using a company like Cash Converters, who lends to people down on their luck(not upper class) or in need of cash .
Keep your obsessive hate of that man ,to yourself.Criticise him if he stuffs up by all means.If you are unable to do that,seek help.You called him shifty, some of your comments bordered on racism .Else you'll never be taken seriously.

That's like stupidly suggesting not using a company like Cash Converters, who lends to people down on their luck(not upper class) or in need of cash .
Keep your obsessive hate of that man ,to yourself.Criticise him if he stuffs up by all means.If you are unable to do that,seek help.You called him shifty, some of your comments bordered on racism .Else you'll never be taken seriously.
Cash Converters is the place for drug addicts to hock appliances, clothes and other consumer goods so they can get $50 for smokes, grog or drugs.

Some people might gloss over Perth Red's poor spelling and grammar and think "dumb lower class trash". I do see the irony in Perth Red being from England, yet not having a proper grasp of the English language.

Perth Red is not a dumb man, but people might judge him on his spelling and grammar, just like he's making fun of PVL.

Last edited:

Perth Red

Post Whore

Orh did I upset you princess? Don’t worry Vlad the impaler won’t care what I think of him.

taipan

Referee
Orh did I upset you princess? Don’t worry Vlad the impaler won’t care what I think of him.

Keep up the class act mate ,with your ever loving keyboard.Ironic ,coming from someone who gets upset when spmeone takes a personal shot at him.

T-Boon

Coach
I think the RL/NRL should try to get a good 10 round university competition going. Make it like the equivalent of under 21s, with enough prize money so that universities want in on it. There are 10 or 12 good NSW Uni's.

I think the RL/NRL should try to get a good 10 round university competition going. Make it like the equivalent of under 21s, with enough prize money so that universities want in on it. There are 10 or 12 good NSW Uni's.
Would be a good way of spreading the game to Adelaide, Melbourne and Perth.