What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

RL independence day arrives - NRL Independent Commission announced

adamkungl

Immortal
Melbourne without News funding would have to cut their football budget and increase their memberships. It would bring them back to everyone else's level...not kill them.

BuffaloRules

Coach
Melbourne deserve additional expenditure to help them promote themselves and the game of RL in the face of a hostile media with no current FTA exposure...

They are automatically behind the other teams to begin with for this reason, so they deserve additional funding from somewhere...

Billythekid

First Grade
In terms of being able to survive as a club the storm don't really need much if any support.

What we do need is to be spending money promoting the game in Victoria and trying to grow grassroots footy.

LESStar58

Referee
The clubs are playing hard ball because they know it's the last chance they'll ever get to do so.

I say give the clubs the money they want so they can then sign away their power to the IC. We then get rid of News and the ARL from our leadership and the IC can start negotiating the new broadcast deal and improving the game in every way.

Put it this way...if we give the clubs an advance of $48 million from the next broadcast deal for 2012 ($3 million a club), that is still insignificant to what will be left over for the game.

A $1.1 billion deal means we still have $1.052 billion left over.

Or a $950 million deal means we still have $902 million left over, etc.

Just give the IC the control of the game now!!!

Give the clubs their grant. That way the incentive is back on the IC to go out and get what the game is worth from the broadcasters, NOT sign it away for peanuts like Gallop did last time, and get that money back. If the TV deal is going to be as big as reported, why shouldn't the clubs expect an advance? See,s fair enough to me.

All these exorbedent figures of over a billion are being brandided about but it's like a bull with no horns and no balls; can't butt, can't f**k, just sit there and bullshit. If the IC know they are behind the 8-ball it'll be a nice first up test to prove they are worth a damn and get the money back through negotiating income to make up the shortfall.

Just sayin'.

LESStar58

Referee
Give the clubs their grant. That way the incentive is back on the IC to go out and get what the game is worth from the broadcasters, NOT sign it away for peanuts like Gallop did last time, and get that money back. If the TV deal is going to be as big as reported, why shouldn't the clubs expect an advance? See,s fair enough to me.

All these exorbedent figures of over a billion are being brandided about but it's like a bull with no horns and no balls; can't butt, can't f**k, just sit there and bullshit. If the IC know they are behind the 8-ball it'll be a nice first up test to prove they are worth a damn and get the money back through negotiating income to make up the shortfall.

Just sayin'.

Further to this, if it happens I hope the clubs don't just sit on their hands. If the IC is gonna happen the clubs need to compliment it by doing things like driving their own membership, sponsorship etc. I dunno whose responsibility it is exactly either but I hope the clubs and the IC come up with a way to increase crowds and gate takings.

The best sport on television/the world being played in half empty stadiums is a bit of a cop out. Need to do something to bring the crowds back!

Lego_Man

First Grade
My point wasnt that the AFL has failed to expand under an IC.

My point is that their code has a different mentality to ours, characterised by a far more autocratic central leadership that for better or worse "gets things done".

Do you think that NRL clubs (or fans) under an IC would EVER accept salary cap concessions for an expansion or "strategic club" - like the Storm for example? Well it has happened in the AFL, several times - they gifted the Brisbane Lions Premiership F(l)ags to grow the sport in Brisbane yet still were able to suppress discontent. Same with the Swans. Not that i'm for a minute suggesting that it was a good idea - simply that it has benefited them.

In the late 90's the NRLs Sydney CEO's pushed to get the Warriors kicked out of the comp. What a great decision that would have been.

Who is going to stand up to the clubs when their agendas run counter to the interests of the game?

My point wasnt that the AFL has failed to expand under an IC.

My point is that their code has a different mentality to ours, characterised by a far more autocratic central leadership that for better or worse "gets things done".

Do you think that NRL clubs (or fans) under an IC would EVER accept salary cap concessions for an expansion or "strategic club" - like the Storm for example? Well it has happened in the AFL, several times - they gifted the Brisbane Lions Premiership F(l)ags to grow the sport in Brisbane yet still were able to suppress discontent. Same with the Swans. Not that i;m for a minute suggesting that it was a good idea - simply that it has benefited them.

In the late 90's the NRLs Sydney CEO's pushed to get the Warriors kicked out of the comp. What a great decision that would have been.

Who is going to stand up to the clubs when their agendas run counter to the interests of the game?
Mate all that is needed for the Storm & future clubs in AFL states is a decent contra deal & a TV station that WILL show games,WILL advertise ,basically do the opposite of what nine is doing now.

The game will grow in these markets IF the IC get these things enforced..

No one. The ARL will be gone. The other RLs will have no say and no power to make a difference. The fans will be just as powerless as they are now. The only people who will have the kind of power to rival the elite clubs is the elite players, and I have no faith in them to do the right thing by the game either.

Paul J

Juniors
No one. The ARL will be gone. The other RLs will have no say and no power to make a difference. The fans will be just as powerless as they are now. The only people who will have the kind of power to rival the elite clubs is the elite players, and I have no faith in them to do the right thing by the game either.

The AFL clubs are subservient to the AFL IC because under an IC the clubs are richer than they've ever been.

The NRL clubs will be no different. Can you see any NRL club complaining about $6 million + annual grants?

Parra

Referee
The NRL clubs will be no different. Can you see any NRL club complaining about $6 million + annual grants?

Yes. Player salaries will increase, executive salaries will increase and clubs will be in much the same position as they are now.

bobmar28

Bench
Further to this, if it happens I hope the clubs don't just sit on their hands. If the IC is gonna happen the clubs need to compliment it by doing things like driving their own membership, sponsorship etc. I dunno whose responsibility it is exactly either but I hope the clubs and the IC come up with a way to increase crowds and gate takings.

The best sport on television/the world being played in half empty stadiums is a bit of a cop out. Need to do something to bring the crowds back!

If you increase gate takings that might mean lower crowds. Ticket prices are too high now.

Paul J

Juniors
Yes. Player salaries will increase, executive salaries will increase and clubs will be in much the same position as they are now.

How?

The IC will negotiate much bigger broadcast deal and the IC caps the salary cap and club grants.

If any club still struggles despite the new windfalls they receive, they will be given extra funds on the condition they present sound business plans for their future.

Rockin Ronny

Juniors
So why are the AFL clubs happy with their handouts?

Because for many well managed clubs, the grant is a nice addition to an already large warchest. Because they have savvy business people who know how to raise money professionally. because they have memberships of 30,000+ paying $300 each per annum - generating $9 million each year alone.

The problem with rugby league is that is hostage to too many losers trying to line their own pockets - including leagues clubs. In Cronulla, the supposed saviour is a property development that will generate $1 million a year - wow! the reigning premeirs make the news because of board infighting and board members wantinga premiership ring. A Singleton-backed Central Coast Bears have been kept waiting for over 10 years to join the competition.

David Gallop is a News Limited lackey - but everyone thinks he should head up an "independent" commission.

seriously - Why on earth would rugby league fans have any confidence that the current rabble running the game will achieve anything?

Parra

Referee
More money means more to fight for. The players will want the biggest slice. If the TV income doubles, why shouldn't the cap double?

Look to US sports for an example. Did you follow the recent player strikes / lockouts in their pro sports?

More revenue doesn't automatically mean that clubs etc are more sustainable. For many it could be just more money to waste.

Even with the current counter productive leadership the clubs get over $3 million each per year, so i would see it as only an extra $3 million per team to hand out. With the significant increase from the new broadcast deal this will be easily achieved.

As you say,

Still leaves a solid $400m or so to fund everything else....

People seem to forget that the FTA rights aren't the only revenue stream NRL makes tonnes from SOO tickets + finals tix, pay tv rights + merchandising ect ect ect.

I'd say from that stuff alone would easily generate another 50 million per year.

Paul J

Juniors
I believe the NBA is having a lockout as 22 of 30 teams are running at a loss, the owners are saying this is because the salary cap is too high and they want it reduced significantly. The players are upset about this. (Le Bron wants $8 million a year, not $6.5 million?)

With us, i think if the salary cap goes from $3.2 million to somewhere near $6 million we won't have any complaints from the players for a while.

Gippsy

Bench
Why wouldn't the AFL clubs be happy with handouts of over $8M pa? That covers their salary cap and leaves them with memberships, crowd receipts & mercandise sales etc to cover their other running costs including coaching staff, facilites etc.

This is how it should be and there is no reason why the same will not happen with NRL under the IC.

Hopefully though, the NRL will do it better than the AFL. Despite the big handouts, most AFL clubs still manage to stuff things up and most still run at a loss. This will get worse with Gold Coast & GWS and their grass roots will suffer accordingly. They are facing some big problems over the next few years.

The IC will run the game, not the clubs, and they have a great opportunity to learn from the mistakes of AFL and really grow the game.

I believe the NBA is having a lockout as 22 of 30 teams are running at a loss, the owners are saying this is because the salary cap is too high and they want it reduced significantly. The players are upset about this. (Le Bron wants $8 million a year, not $6.5 million?)

With us, i think if the salary cap goes from $3.2 million to somewhere near $6 million we won't have any complaints from the players for a while.

its more to do with the players making 53 percent of the total revenue, the owners want that down to 50/50 split.

also has alot to do with the changing face of sports in the US. people are alot more selective. season tickets arent as reliable any more. the clubs are operationg on a business model that is out of date. a season ticket is 41 games. why go to the trouble when you can

A. watch the games on TV on your huge screen in HD. watch 3 games at once
B. cherrypick the best games on the secondary market. buy tickets to the best 8 games of the home season or whatever.

that and since lebron and bosh moved to miami...there is a growing disparity between the big and small markets because there isnt a reveue sharing system like in the NFL. Carmelo to thhe knicks. The players have changed the way they operate. theyre now about being in the big markets where they can make the most off endorsements and play in the famous arenas.

also, the GM's and owners signed off on ridiculous contracts to the middle class players.
guys like barron davis, gilbert arenas etc got obscene contracts. meanwhile derrick rose is still on the rookie scale.

the whole NBA system is out of whack. there is little correlation to the problems of the NRL (IC, clubs running at a loss due to lack of tv revenue/mismanagement) or the NFL (everyone makes billions. they were just fighting over how to split up the pie)

Last edited: