What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

RLIF meeting 3/10/07

What is likely to be on the agenda for the meeting tomorrow? Hopefully they will be doing more confirming over issues with the World Cup. I know they will be reviewing the applications of players switching allegiances.

deluded pom?

Coach
I believe one of the Australian officials thinks there isn't much of an issue with NZ picking Moimoi and Tuiaki. Say bye bye to any set rules on player eligibility and hello open house.

freeridermx

Juniors
they must step in a say the fui and Tuiaki cant play in this test till after the world cup they must be made to play for tonga and if they want to change they can after the world cup is over next year and then wait at least 2 yrs before playing for nz from there last game for tonga. they cant have them help tonga into the world cup then knock them out next year in the world cup just cant be able to happen.

roughyedspud

Coach
if they don't tell NZ to de-select moimoi & tuiaki then there no point in having the RLIF..

they also need to simplify the eligibility laws..no sub sections or extra criteria..just a plain and simple 3 rule eligibility law..

You can be eligible to play for a national team under the following rules;
- you, one of your parents or grandparents were BORN in you nation of choice
- you have LIVED in that nation for at least three years and have not played international RL for anyone else and your intentions to become an international for you adoptive country have to be made clear at the begining of that 3 year period..
- once you choose your nation you can not switch..

does it have to be any harder than that??

roughyedspud

Coach
then we might as well f**k everyone off apart from aus,nz,eng,france & png because everyone else need the grandparent rule to field a side that is remotely competitive..

one day we could get rid of it....but that won't be for another 20 years....

http://tvnz.co.nz
Kemble sweats on eligibility
Oct 2, 2007

Kiwis coach Gary Kemble faces a nervous wait ahead of an international league meeting on Wednesday as two of his squad bid for eligibility to play for New Zealand.

Fuifui Moimoi and Taniela Tuiaki are desperate to make their debuts for the Kiwis against Australia later this month in Wellington.

However the in-form NRL pair are not eligible yet after playing for Tonga last year in a bid to help the country qualify for the World Cup.

"All the Tongan boys, they want to play for Tonga but they always want to play for the Kiwis first," said Moimoi.

But international rules do allow players to switch countries under special circumstances.

A ruling in their favour would cap a remarkable season for Moimoi, who signed a new two-year deal with the Eels on Tuesday. He even declined an approach from the Kangaroo selectors thanks partly due to some "gentle" persuasion from Kiwis selector Darrell Williams and his Tongan flatmate.

"I already told Darrell I'd sort him out for the black and whites so it's all good," said Tuiaki.

Pistol

Coach
lets hope moimoi gets to play for the Kiwis. should make a great match up against petero

roughyedspud

Coach
But international rules do allow players to switch countries under special circumstances.

right, can someone tell me under what circumstances a player from a weaker nation would be allowed to switch to a stronger nation???

the other way round, stronger to weaker is a special circumstance,weaker to stronger is counter productive..

"All the Tongan boys, they want to play for Tonga but they always want to play for the Kiwis first," said Moimoi.

and don't even get me started on that.......what a f**king idiot

Ari Gold

Bench
roughyedspud said:
right, can someone tell me under what circumstances a player from a weaker nation would be allowed to switch to a stronger nation???

the other way round, stronger to weaker is a special circumstance,weaker to stronger is counter productive..

and don't even get me started on that.......what a f**king idiot

Why?

I'm sure if you ask Zidane he'd say the same about Algerians and the French soccer team.

deluded pom?

Coach
The Electric Horseman said:

Well that's one ambition you've failed to fulfill Fui. :roll:

bartman

Immortal
He did play for NZ A before he went near a Tongan team, so Fui has a point.

I can't see much wrong with Roughyed's simple suggestion:
3 years residency rule to make it into a stronger international side, if you or your parent/grandparent aren't born there, with 3 years starting from stated/registered intention. Provides certainty for players and national selectors to plan a bit, and not make it up as they go along.

And they need to make sure Origin rules are clear too, and preferably have another game as a curtain raiser eg involving Kiwis/Islanders/other states? That mid-year rep schedule will help some guys stick with their heritage for a while instead of miraculously wanting to become Aussies, and the clubs will learn to live with it if they're told to...

RLIF

Juniors
The naming of Aussie-based Fuifui Moimoi and Taniela Tuiaki for the test against Australia will be up for international officials' approval today.

NZRL chairman Andrew Chalmers is one of three Rugby League International Federation executive voters who will decide if the pair can switch allegiance after playing World Cup qualifiers for Tonga.

Aussie chairman Colin Love and England's Richard Lewis are the other two voters.

The NZRL regarded the vote as "hopefully just a formality".

It will support an application by former Kiwi Nigel Vagana to change allegiance to Samoa for the 2008 World Cup and other former Kiwis, including David Solomona, are believed to be following suit.

nadera78

Juniors
RLIF said:
The naming of Aussie-based Fuifui Moimoi and Taniela Tuiaki for the test against Australia will be up for international officials' approval today.

NZRL chairman Andrew Chalmers is one of three Rugby League International Federation executive voters who will decide if the pair can switch allegiance after playing World Cup qualifiers for Tonga.

Aussie chairman Colin Love and England's Richard Lewis are the other two voters.

The NZRL regarded the vote as "hopefully just a formality".

It will support an application by former Kiwi Nigel Vagana to change allegiance to Samoa for the 2008 World Cup and other former Kiwis, including David Solomona, are believed to be following suit.

Two sounds in the background there, first one is the rule book being torn up, second is our credibility going out the wondow.

Nook

Bench
It's okay guys

We are bringing up things that Colin and Geoff haven't really got around to thinking about yet

It's only been 7 years since the eligibility debacle tainted the last world cup ... let's not rush things

Nook said:
It's okay guys

We are bringing up things that Colin and Geoff haven't really got around to thinking about yet

It's only been 7 years since the eligibility debacle tainted the last world cup ... let's not rush things

Fair call. At least they are getting together, which is all we can really hope for right?

I'm sure Love and Carr are sweating on NZ fielding any ineligible players under the residency rule. So that also makes me feel better.

deluded pom?

Coach
bartman said:
He did play for NZ A before he went near a Tongan team, so Fui has a point.

So playing for NZ A makes you a Kiwi! Does playing for the Australia PMs X111 make you a Kangaroo then?

Latest posts