What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

RLIF reconsidering QNs

jim_57

Staff member
I agree with you 100%, I have always said France is the biggest area for growth, I just think its too soon, too soon for Toulouse and too soon for France in the 3N.

France should continue to play England mid-season, they should be playing Wales reguarly, they should be playing Tests against Aus and NZ when England play in the 3N, they would still continue to improve, without the massive glare of the 3N.

I would still like to see them in the 4N next year but maybe thats just the part of me that wants to see more IRL games between more nations speaking.

I really don't know, their performance on Saturday was terrible and they were made to look liek ametuers by Fiji. I am still of the opinion that on Paper they are the 4th or 5th best team at the WC and a competitve game against the big 3, but unfortunatley the comp isn't played on paper :lol:

Alot of things could have contributed to their performance in the WC, injuries to key players, lack of fitness for some, havn't played in Australia for yonks, questionable selections/coaching in general. With ideal preperation and a home ground advantage they could be a whole different kettle of fish.

I would have them there for 2009 atleast, like I said they are in the best position for growth and should have 2 full time teams to pick from next year. Also you have to think of other players that will become eligable next year, players like Greenshields, McGuire and Mogg may opt to put their hand up. Whether you agree with it happening or not if one of these players stuck their hand up they would be picked.

roopy

Referee
I don't think France are ready.
They should be in as soon as they are ready, but getting flogged isn't going to do them any good.
For what it's worth, i think combined PI is the only team that could hold it's own with the big three right now.

Tommax25

Bench
It should definitely be a Four Nations.

However every year there should be a qualification process to decide the final spot. It gives 'second-tier' nations competitive games and a set international schedule.

I posted this in the other thread:

why do you include wales but not scotland or ireland?

pcpp

Juniors
I see your point and i can see some merit in the idea, but when promotion and relegation is'nt deemed fit for any of our top club competitions anywhere in the world, having P+R in IRL would throw up the same questions as it did in the SL. Say France did qualify for the 4N, got dicked, finished bottom and got relegated, then say Samoa did the same thing next year, got dicked finished bottom..............

I agree there should be a set IRL program, but P+R from the 3N is not something I would advocate, maybe see how the franchise system goes in SL and possibly apply a similar thing.

It's not so much promotion and relegation rather than a qualification process.

I say if France qualified through the system and put up good performances for a few years, give them a place permenantly and make it a Five Nations and continue to have one spot up for grabs in qualification.

why do you include wales but not scotland or ireland?

Hmm. Good question.

I didn't really think about them when I posted that but I guess it comes from purely from my own personal opinion that Ireland and Scotland don't have enough going for them domestically.

Including them wouldn't be a bad idea however, would make for a balanced competition on both the Pacific and Europe sides.

marv

Juniors
It's not so much promotion and relegation rather than a qualification process.

I say if France qualified through the system and put up good performances for a few years, give them a place permenantly and make it a Five Nations and continue to have one spot up for grabs in qualification.

I see what your saying, i pretty much agree with you, but I wouldnt have a 5th spot open until you got France somewhere near the big three after admitting them, and I wouldnt be admitting France next year, because they havent put up any good performances, in all honesty.

marv

Juniors
I didn't really think about them when I posted that but I guess it comes from purely from my own personal opinion that Ireland and Scotland don't have enough going for them domestically.

would you not say they have as much going for them as Tonga and Samoa?

Coastbloke

Bench
It's ridiculous that they could even think about dropping the QNs because of France..

Were they going to drop Australia in the TN for 24-0 or GB for 44-4...??

The fact is, France will improve yet again with another year in the ESL plus Toulouse in the NL1 - After all don't NL1 clubs regularly give French clubs like Limoux and St Gaudens 30-40 plus beatings in the Challenge Clup..??..So Toulouse will improve in NL1..

Coupled with a couple more Frenchmen in other ESL clubs, I think they might come last in a QN, but jeez...To cancel the tournament is a kneejerk reaction....

Same with a QN for the Sthn Hemi.

Play a European Nations cup and a Pacific Nations Cup and have each winner play the respective Hemisphere QN...