What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

RLIF World Rankings

PacificCoastRL

Juniors
The Canadian side really excite me as a nation. They really seem to be focused and passionate.

I was very impressed by the near 5000 they got to their Jamaica match posted in another thread, but then I realised I know little of their crowd numbers. How does that sit in comparison to the US numbers and Canadian numbers as an average? Giant outlier, around the average for an international or something else?
That crowd of 5,000 against Jamaica was very good. Keep in mind many of those in the crowd got in for free. Having said that - the fans still had to show up. So I would say the CRL did a very good job of creating a buzz. In general, Canadians support sport so this wasn't really a surprise to me.
As for crowds in the AMNRL and USARL - I would think they are less, probably in the hundreds for a typical game, maybe in the low thousands, one or two thousand for a final. Maybe. Some others may remember what the crowds were like for the GF's of each comp, I can't.

flamin

Juniors
The Canadian side really excite me as a nation. They really seem to be focused and passionate.

I was very impressed by the near 5000 they got to their Jamaica match posted in another thread, but then I realised I know little of their crowd numbers. How does that sit in comparison to the US numbers and Canadian numbers as an average? Giant outlier, around the average for an international or something else?
Of the top my head I know the Canadians have pulled a 2000-3000 at matches before.

titoelcolombiano

First Grade
I certainly agree with a comment on this post saying that we would be pouring critisism on the RLIF if there were no ranking system at all, so I am happy to take this as a starting point to build on.

International development of the game is only a very recent thing. We have a number of annual tournaments being played these days that simply didn't exist before the turn of the centrury. The RLIF is hopefully going to be more and more well funded as each world cup passes and these tournaments will develop into respectable international comps, new ones will grow and the credibility of the international game will increase. We are on the right track.

At least we have something - as the game grows these rankings will become more and more relevant and interesting.

Bovrick

Juniors
Out of interest here is the Union world rankings, its interesting to compare them.
Pretty jealous of how close their figures are. Well the World cup should see it even up a bit for our code...

We don't use the same system, we could easily we make one that gives closer numerical values, but it won't really mean anything.

Take (as it was yesterday) Wales and NZ - Wales are 8th and not too far behind on points (were 6th not too long ago), yet when was the last time they beat them?

The points values themselves don't really mean much so I wouldn't worry about that really.

Well in the league system I actually think their pretty spot on for the most part. They tell it like it is, biggish gap between the top 3/4 nations then a massive jump back then it evens out.

Bovrick

Juniors
Well in the league system I actually think their pretty spot on for the most part. They tell it like it is, biggish gap between the top 3/4 nations then a massive jump back then it evens out.

Yeah I'd say ours is more accurate, but there are merits in sport to making things look closer than they really are. It's something that makes football so successful - a large degree of arbitrariness in scores. Having the rankings 'look' closer give most people the same initial impression you had, that things really are closer, even if they aren't.

Oops, sorry. The international game is massive, well-run and completely unfarcical.

Better?

These rankings are a negative for the game. If you want to prove that RL is pitifully small and only taken seriously in a couple of countries this nonsense is the perfect way to do it. Yet people are advocating it. It's not even accurate in any way, but that's beside the point.
We Australia don't want to play internationals and without playing internationals we drop down the list it's that's simple.
Us and Kiwis used covid as an excuse not to go to this years world cup, but union teams from the SH went to the NH to play internationals and made money

The_Frog

First Grade
We Australia don't want to play internationals and without playing internationals we drop down the list it's that's simple.
Us and Kiwis used covid as an excuse not to go to this years world cup, but union teams from the SH went to the NH to play internationals and made money
Because international games is where the money is for RU. That is not the case for RL, so forced by covid to choose, international games miss out

titoelcolombiano

First Grade
I don't know any sport in the world that has a ranking system, where a player / country / team not playing wouldn't result in that player / country / team falling down the ranking list.