What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

RLW article on Jamie Lyon > Tigers

Davester

Juniors
I know someone else had made a short snippet in my "where would jamie lyon end up?" thread but for those who haven't checked out the thread I'd thought I'd post a new thread on this. It's from this week RLW magazine and it talks on the chances of Lyon coming to Wests.

JUNGLE FEVER

Why a runaway would look right at home in the Tigers' den

BY TONY ADAMS

Wests Tigers' stunning late charge for the top eight may bring an unexpected bonus to the club in star centre Jamie Lyon.

The Tigers are one of the few clubs with money left in the salary cap to bid for Lyon and have hatched a plan to secure the 22-year-old nomad.

The former Test and Origin star has been playing for Wee Waa in the bush since walking out on the Eels early in the year but is now wanting to return to the NRL.

With the Tigers playing a bright and spirited brand of football, they believe they have much to offer Lyon.

Coach Tim Sheens has five former Eels in his ranks and will use their friendship with Lyon as a bargaining tool. Sheens was also a team-mate of Lyon's uncle, Mike Smith, at Penrith in the 1980s and the pair have been in contact.

"We believe we can make a return to the NRL very attractive for Jamie," Sheen Says. "The club is going places and we can offer him a rural setting near our Campbeltown base if he wants to live out of the big city.

"Most clubs are already right on the limit of their salary cap but we still have some room to move."

Lyon was offered to the Panthers last week, but the club could not make him an offer due to salary cap restrictions.

The Tigers are looking to a private sponsor - possibly former club benfactor Harry Triguboff - to foot the bill for Lyon.

Sheens has the Tigers on track for an historic maiden finals appearance following last Sunday's impressive 56 - 6 hammering of Souths.

With the bye this weekend, the Tigers can prepare for an all-out assault on the final three rounds, when they meet the Broncos (away), Cowboys (home) and Knights (away).

The Tigers are currently holding onto eighth spot and are assure of a first-ever finals berth as a joint venture if they win their remaining three games.

"It's a tall order but at least our destiny is in our own hands." retiring skipper Darren Senter says.

"The bye comes at just the right time and gives us time to regroup and get over nagging injuries."

Had to let fellow supporters know. Cheers! ;-)

Mighty Tiger

Bench
Both hands have fingers crossed

1 hand for the Wests Tigers the other for the Eels to allow him to play for us ;-)

The Colonel

Immortal
BTW Davester if he does come to the Tigers you may want to get his name right. Its Jamie LYON - he isn't related to Cliffy.......

Davester

Juniors
Colonel Eel said:
BTW Davester if he does come to the Tigers you may want to get his name right. Its Jamie LYON - he isn't related to Cliffy.......

Look no need to get hot headed here. I made a small mistake when I was typing the thread title in which I have fixed up now. I know it's Jamie Lyon and you don't need to point out one small mistake, we are not perfect and all make mistakes so meh...get over it :)

Gus22

Juniors
Mighty Tiger said:
Both hands have fingers crossed

1 hand for the Wests Tigers the other for the Eels to allow him to play for us ;-)

Would be attractive to Parra in that;

1. Frees (reportedly) 250k from their salary cap to purchase another player.
2. If we were to sign him for 2 or 3 years, it ensures Manly don't him when he becomes a free agent in 2006.

Reading between the lines it seems that Dennis Fitzgerald is hell bent on Lyon not wearing a Manly jumper. Maybe Cleal was involved in Lyon walking away from Parra, who knows?

Also Parra have bought a lot of players for next year. With Lyon still counted under their salary cap in 2005 they must be perilously close to the 3.25mil mark.

Mighty Tiger

Bench
Gus22 said:
1. Frees (reportedly) 250k from their salary cap to purchase another player.

I think this is the biggest problem for the Eels even if they don't pay Lyon they do still need to have that money there just in case he does come back to play for the club!

Gus22 said:
2. If we were to sign him for 2 or 3 years, it ensures Manly don't him when he becomes a free agent in 2006.

Look no doubt if we are to sign Lyon it will be until the end of the conractual period in which the Eels have him for and we will also sign a clause which won't allow us to release him - the problem with that however would be how many clubs would allow themselves to be dictated to on this ground????

Gus22 said:
Reading between the lines it seems that Dennis Fitzgerald is hell bent on Lyon not wearing a Manly jumper. Maybe Cleal was involved in Lyon walking away from Parra, who knows?

Its clear Manly have been the main people behind him coming back into the NRL, they arn't the main reason he left the Eels however as we all know what that is ;-)

Gus22 said:
Also Parra have bought a lot of players for next year. With Lyon still counted under their salary cap in 2005 they must be perilously close to the 3.25mil mark.

Bloody oath they would be even though they let Dykes go but still they do have to pay those good juniors they have coming through the ranks

BlueNGoldBlood

Juniors
its pretty obvious he isnt coming back to play for eels so hope he does go to tigers, id rather see lyon there then anywhere else :D

Tigerpete

Juniors
Yeah it sure seems like this is a genuine opportunity for the Tigers. A lot of things in their favour, A club on the rise, the ex parra players, and one of the comp's highest profile halves in Prince and Marshall, its easy to attract him here but my main concern is any other club that makes an offer. no other clubs have been mentioned though so i live in hope.

Tigerpete

Juniors
Mighty Tiger said:
Davester said:
I just want this to be over and done with...I want an answer dammit!

Wests Tigers and quick decisions just don't mix together for some reason :(

haha, yeah, one day we'll just hear that he's signed and delivered, none of this negotiation update, when we do hear from the club it will be he's signed or not coming.

Mighty Tiger

Bench
Tigerpete said:
haha, yeah, one day we'll just hear that he's signed and delivered, none of this negotiation update, when we do hear from the club it will be he's signed or not coming.

What like Souths :oops:

TigerMo

Juniors
If we do get Lyon, He'll be guarranteed a Centre spot. On the other hand, we have about 5+ people battling it out for the Number 4 Jersey. Looks like we'll be getting the best out of these players to try and get the other centre spot.

3. Lyon
4. Elford, Whaturi, Wilson, Fitzy, Halatau, Collis,

Looks like good times ahead!

Latest posts