What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

RLW Out tomorrow, Players Poll inside

Broncodroid

Juniors
Special K said:
Could you explain how Phil Bailey is overrated please?

Have you watched Cronulla this season? Without Bailey doing all the work the sharks would be screwed.

Can I? I thought it was self explainitory, he has the a NSW and Test jersey at home in the cupboard...how? Chris Anderson that's how. To call him a former NSW and Australian player is hard to spit out, he is ordinary IMO.

"Without Bailey doing all the work the sharks would be screwed"

To return serve, have you good sir watched a Cronulla game in 2005? Your selling Paul Gallen and Danny Nutley a little short. Let's pretend Phil Bailey is a hard working backrower digging in with his fellow forwards each week not standing wide doing sweet FA most of the time.

Comparitive Stats

P. Bailey: 25.3 tackles p/gm - 9.7 hitups - 70.9 mtr p/gm - 0.6 errors - 2.1 mistack

D. Nutley: 32.5 tackles p/gm - 17.7 hitups - 149.8 mtr p/gm - 0.6 errors - 2.1 mistack

P. Gallen: 27.9 tackles p/gm - 19.8 hitups - 161.4 mtr p/gm - 1.6 errors - 1.7 mistack

There is 2 players who do more work than Bailey in the forwards and throw Hutch and Stevo in there as well. Hutch may be down a little stat wise, though he is not getting the same game time.

IMO, Phil Bailey is one of the worse representative players the game has seen...as is Josh Perry and to a lesser extent Dane Carlaw who albeit is as soft as both, has come up with some decent plays in his rep career.

fobsta

Juniors
Anasta doesn't deserve the over-rated tag. It's not like he's the one rating himself. The are a lot better nominees out there that deserve the tag more.

Foz

Bench
Broncodroid said:
Can I? I thought it was self explainitory, he has the a NSW and Test jersey at home in the cupboard...how? Chris Anderson that's how. To call him a former NSW and Australian player is hard to spit out, he is ordinary IMO.

"Without Bailey doing all the work the sharks would be screwed"

To return serve, have you good sir watched a Cronulla game in 2005? Your selling Paul Gallen and Danny Nutley a little short. Let's pretend Phil Bailey is a hard working backrower digging in with his fellow forwards each week not standing wide doing sweet FA most of the time.

Comparitive Stats

P. Bailey: 25.3 tackles p/gm - 9.7 hitups - 70.9 mtr p/gm - 0.6 errors - 2.1 mistack

D. Nutley: 32.5 tackles p/gm - 17.7 hitups - 149.8 mtr p/gm - 0.6 errors - 2.1 mistack

P. Gallen: 27.9 tackles p/gm - 19.8 hitups - 161.4 mtr p/gm - 1.6 errors - 1.7 mistack

There is 2 players who do more work than Bailey in the forwards and throw Hutch and Stevo in there as well. Hutch may be down a little stat wise, though he is not getting the same game time.

IMO, Phil Bailey is one of the worse representative players the game has seen...as is Josh Perry and to a lesser extent Dane Carlaw who albeit is as soft as both, has come up with some decent plays in his rep career.

While I agree to some extent on your comments about Bailey's rep career remember it was Phil Gould who picked Bailey for origin prior to Anderson giving him a run on a Kangaroo tour where up to 19 players made themselves unavailable.

If you want to go on stats alone you might be able to get Nutley a gig in a rep side.
I dont know that he should get a go.
I assume your using the stats to show who does the work at the Sharks which is a fair call.
Remember though Nutley(prop),Gallen(lock) and Bailey(2nd row) have been playing in 3 different positions.
Bailey has also played in the centres(started games there) and has been forced to play out in the centres during the course of a game due to injuries.
He is a valuable player in that regard but I personally dont rate him as a centre.
He's had a couple of average games (Parramatta and Cowboy games come to mind-1 was while he was in the centres) but other than that he has been one of the Sharks best all year. (IMO).
Good to get other people's views though.

Dogaholic

First Grade
No big deal about Anasta being voted the most Over rated for the third time. Didn't Fittler have the same honour for a few years running?

oldmancraigy

Coach
smeghead said:
Don't forget Michael Vella "worst rep player ever"

You've obviously never watched a rep game :rolleyes:

Sure, the guy is in ordinary form now (and has been since 2001), but his rep form in the years prior to that was outstanding - go find some Origin tapes and watch them, particularly Origin 2 in 2001. He didn't get given man of the match, but after you watch that game, try and tell me he wasn't!

Josh 'dropsy' Perry on the other hand.....

albi

Juniors
Germ is certainly highly strung. Everytime I see him, I'm afraid that is chronic twitching is going to turn into a full blown seizure. I do love Simon though, as he is passionate about his team.

If there was a catagory for the most immature player, then finch would have won.

anastabation

Juniors
If he is being offered 800 k a season by souths then yes he is over rated, if ANY player is offered that much it is too much. But he did deserve his blues jersey and he's having a strong season.

I agree with the popular claim about finch being over rated. How he got an origiin jersey - even with all those injuries - is a freak.

Ghoulies

Bench
Here are some of the results....

Fullback - Minichiello

Winger - Grothe(just)

Centre - Gasnier

Five-eighth - Lockyer

Half-back - Johns

Lock - Kennedy

Second-rower - Hindmarsh

Prop - Webcke

Hooker - Buderus