What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

RLW Out tomorrow, Players Poll inside

Broncodroid

Juniors
As a matter of interest Saab, Darren Lockyer went further ahead in the poll for game's best player...

2004: 51 votes
2005: 66 votes

Just for those who have not purchased the RLW :)

Kurt Angle

First Grade
C.P said:
They also mentioned that one question asked was if players knew a fellow player with a gambling problem 45% said yes and it re-iterated that the poll was done prior to Michael Sullivans 'coming out' which shows that he's obviously not a lone ranger in this department

That doesn't mean gambling is wide spread.

If everyone at the Sharks knew sullivan had a problem, then 100% of sharks players would say yes to the question.

It doesn't mean 100% of Sharks players have a gambling problem, when it's onyl Sullivan.

To have only 45% of the players in the NRL know someone means it could be as few as 7-12 players.

PARRA_FAN

Coach
I dunno about Anasta being overated, I think his season has been good so far. How Brett Finch didnt get voted ahead of him I'll never know. Even the biggest sook shouldve gone to Finch, Woolford hasnt really had much to whinge about lately.

Kurt Angle

First Grade
Man, people bagging Hodges' game when he was at his peak.

At his best he was actually a good player.

This is a guy who stuffed up monumnetally in his first SOO performance, was dropped, and managed to work his way back in again. This was because his form was too good to ignore.

The pity for him is the crappy surface Lang Park had damaged his knee and he has never been the same since.

The decision to play on grass that early after it had been laid was obvious a decision made by money men, with no understanding of playing on grass.

A perfect example was the building of Waverly Oval, which was said to have the grass laid 3 years before being played on, to allow the grass to take sufficient roots.

PARRA_FAN

Coach
I dont think Hodges have been that bad this year, Broncos mightve helped him a bit. I havent really seen him sledge anyone and he gets more involved. He's one player thats suprised me this year.

Broncodroid

Juniors
2002, Justin Hodges was the best centre in the game arguably.

2003, started strong, injured his knee.

2004, a write off, a non event where sledging and niggling where more and more prevelant in an attempt to hide his fading skills/pace.

2005, Hodges has cut the BS from his game and whilst he is still has a metre or two to regain speed wise, he is steadily improving each week and in 2006 we will see Hodges perhaps challenging once more for an Origin jersey. Hodges is playing his best football in a long, long time.

Credit to the player and credit to Wayne Bennett for helping turn this guy's career around, a career with a lot of promise that was at cross roads at the end of 2004.

It is of little wonder Chris Walker was hinting at a possible return to Brisbane...

RABK

Referee
Broncodroid said:
As a matter of interest Saab, Darren Lockyer went further ahead in the poll for game's best player...

2004: 51 votes
2005: 66 votes

Just for those who have not purchased the RLW :)

Still a long way from Johns 84 votes in 2002.

Just for those who forgot. :)

Broncodroid

Juniors
Red and Blue Knight said:
Still a long way from Johns 84 votes in 2002.

Just for those who forgot. :)

Not forgotten, I was actually reading all RLW Polls from 2000 onwards and was going to make mention of that landzlide result. Looking at the present;

2005: 9 votes ;-)

I think if the poll was conducted at the completion of 2005 season you will season Johns eat into some of those 66 votes for Lockyer, not changing the result, though he would bridge the game IMO if he remains injury free over the back half of 2005.

"Touch wood" he does remain injury free, it would be awesome to see them poth as scrum partners for the Australian team...poor pommies and kiwis, you have no hope in hell come the tri-series if they are in the same team together.

As Homer's Bowling Ball rhetorically asked in his recent F7's post, "the best halved pairing of all-time?"...time will tell and it will be interesting to watch.

Tommy Smith

Referee
Broncodroid said:
Not forgotten, I was actually reading all RLW Polls from 2000 onwards and was going to make mention of that landzlide result. Looking at the present;

2005: 9 votes ;-)

I think if the poll was conducted at the completion of 2005 season you will season Johns eat into some of those 66 votes for Lockyer, not changing the result, though he would bridge the game IMO if he remains injury free over the back half of 2005.

"Touch wood" he does remain injury free, it would be awesome to see them poth as scrum partners for the Australian team...poor pommies and kiwis, you have no hope in hell come the tri-series if they are in the same team together.

As Homer's Bowling Ball rhetorically asked in his recent F7's post, "the best halved pairing of all-time?"...time will tell and it will be interesting to watch.
Best halves pairing of all-time? Well im sure Joey and Freddy partnered up a few times with both at their peak which is surely a better halves combo. And then theres Alfie & Wally, Sterlo & Kenny just to name the recent ones.

Broncodroid

Juniors
Best halves pairing of all-time? Well im sure Joey and Freddy partnered up a few times with both at their peak which is surely a better halves combo. And then theres Alfie & Wally, Sterlo & Kenny just to name the recent ones.

IMO I don't think they will have enough time to cement any such tag (Johns to retire in 2006 and possibly Origin after this season) though talent wise, they are right up there.

If they put in 3 or 4 jaw dropping performances together IF they are both touring with the Kangaroos, the question will be "how good could they have been?"

>zuzu<

Juniors
One Halves combo that i dont think we have seen yet ( well im 100% sure we havnt lol) is Lockyer/ Johns. If they both stay fit, they will make an awesome halves unit. Any player in todays game would love to be running around with these guys leading the pack

Mal Meninga

Bench
Stuart/Daley would have to be included in the best halves pairings of all time. 2 Premierships as halves, although they won 3 together but Daley played as a centre in one of them, many times together at state & test level, and countless times where the Raiders were genuine contenders because of their #6/#7 combination. Only injuries to Loz's bad ankles and Stuart's leg hampered the raiders charge.

Latest posts