What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

RLW

The Colonel

Immortal
From the Mole. I don't usually tajke much notice of his "scoops" but hopefully there is some truth this time.

The Sharks have pulled out of talks with Mark Riddell, opening the way for Parramatta to sign the hard running hooker. Riddell is still in talks with the Dragons , but is frustrated by his lack of game time and looks to be heading out west.

Parramatta are the ones rival clubs are fearing in the player market. Forget the cashed-up Sea Eagles, who signed up Ben Kennedy last week, Parramatta have plenty of dough and are planning to offload several players to make a dash at some of the game's real stars.

bartman

Immortal
Offload several players, huh?

I wonder if that just refers to the benefit we'll gain from Jamie not playing under the cap, whether it means some guys whose contracts are up not getting resigned, or offloading players under continuing contracts?

Or it could just be a case of utter speculation on the Mole's part...

strider

Post Whore
It means the Mole read all the rumours and half-truths posted on this forum and is taking them as gospel.

Pazza

First Grade
As long as Parra hold onto J Reddy, B Smith, Mateo, T Smith, Cordoba, Afasamaga and Hurki (sp?) ill be happy :D

Stagger eel

Staff member
bartman said:
Offload several players, huh?

I wonder if that just refers to the benefit we'll gain from Jamie not playing under the cap, whether it means some guys whose contracts are up not getting resigned, or offloading players under continuing contracts?

Or it could just be a case of utter speculation on the Mole's part...

Great news about Pig! lets hope it comes true! allthough he does put his credability on the line if he does sign up for Cronulla, but I'll still lean towards him staying at the Saints.

This Mole character has obviously read my thread about "my conversation with Brian"

Eels Dude

Coach
I hope we aren't offloading any of our young players. I'd rather have Mateo, Smith, Anderson and Afamagasa in the side together than one Mark Riddell. The mole isn't really a mole though, more of a misleading rat.

Unreal V

Juniors
Please not to many signings, isn't it better to make a winning team rather than buying one, we have the foundations and with more confidence that comes from game time our boys will get there. I hope Brian Smith is not making a last time push for a GF at the expense of the long term future of the club. Having big name players in a team that is continually changings its face, style and culture will not win finals.

Stagger eel

Staff member
Unreal V said:
Please not to many signings, isn't it better to make a winning team rather than buying one, we have the foundations and with more confidence that comes from game time our boys will get there. I hope Brian Smith is not making a last time push for a GF at the expense of the long term future of the club. Having big name players in a team that is continually changings its face, style and culture will not win finals.

I think Misty! would even agree with me and say we should be trying to win the comp every year, and if that means letting some players that may off busted their gut over the last couple of weeks in exchange of some more elite and experiance players so be it.

they will also have tough job trying to identify the "young guns" as future stars at the club, and try to keep them. However lets not kid ourselves we will not be able to keep them all, and if Manly are stupid enough to wave 100K in front of Tim Smiths nose we can't counter act with 120K with a kid who's only played half a dozen premier league games under his belt.

Eelementary

Post Whore
eelavation said:
Unreal V said:

I think Misty! would even agree with me and say we should be trying to win the comp every year, and if that means letting some players that may off busted their gut over the last couple of weeks in exchange of some more elite and experiance players so be it.

they will also have tough job trying to identify the "young guns" as future stars at the club, and try to keep them. However lets not kid ourselves we will not be able to keep them all, and if Manly are stupid enough to wave 100K in front of Tim Smiths nose we can't counter act with 120K with a kid who's only played half a dozen premier league games under his belt.

Unreal V:

I agree - I think we need just a few signings (a good outside back, possibly Riddell and a couple of good forwards). Then use the rest to keep our juniors.

eelevation:

I agree too - every coach of every club is constantly trying to win a Premiership or rebuild a club. That is their aim.

I think if we signed some good quality players, then (whether or not Brian is still coach after next year) it would put the team and coach in good stead for the future.

One must be slightly delirious to think we can win Premierships AND be competitive by only using Juniors.

Eels Dude

Coach
eelavation said:
Unreal V said:

I disagree. It takes more than a year to turn a struggling side into a side that's going to win the competition. Instead of trying to build a side that can win the comp next year, we should be building a side that can win the comp for the next five years. We can't simply release players who's form has been a little down on previous years. Long term success is the key.

strider

Post Whore
mickdo said:
If Riddell wants more game time... that would mean Morris getting much less

Not necessarily - I can see Morris and Riddell on the field together - they can both defend well, are versatile and provide something in attack.

strider

Post Whore
Lets not forget what led our club to a grand final appearance - several experienced players leading the way and the young guys learning and going on with it.

I don't want to see Parra buy half the league - maybe 3 good players to fill a few holes we have....I agree the foundations of a strong team is there (altho part of the foundation up and went walkies) - but adding a few key players will be of great benefit.

1eyedeel

Juniors
I've always thought teams with an eighty minute hooker have a big advantage.

You get consistency out of dummy half and two extra interchanges up your sleeve.

I know it was only one game, but Morris' game on the weekend indicated to me he can be right up there with Buderus and Smith as the game's elite hookers. As such do we really want to spend big money on another hooker?

I guess the advantage with Riddell is he can also play backrow and as such would play a similiar role to Hopkins - ie backrower who can shift into dummy half to relieve Morris.

If Riddell was happy to play that kind of role and it meant we didn't lose key players, I'd welcome him, but he seems to be the kind of player that could lose motivation very easily and I wonder if he wasn't the number one hooker, whether that might be a factor.

I would not mind ridell coming to Parra but If we lose the Likes of Tim Smith and Mateo, Huraki and Co. then there will be hell to pay.

Stagger eel

Staff member
Eels Dude said:
eelavation said:
Unreal V said:

I disagree. It takes more than a year to turn a struggling side into a side that's going to win the competition. Instead of trying to build a side that can win the comp next year, we should be building a side that can win the comp for the next five years. We can't simply release players who's form has been a little down on previous years. Long term success is the key.

I don't know how old you are ED! but we tried to do that on the back of the golden era in 80's and it failed miserably in the late 80's and early 90's we were a bit more forgiving back then but the last few weeks has tought me that we won't tollerate with even a year or 2 of mediocrity to get where we want to go.

Stagger eel

Staff member
I just spoke to a self confessed saints contact!

He tells me that Brent Kite is now likelly to stay at the Dragons!! no word on Riddell but it seems like the Sharks have defenitly dropped off! Firmon is a definite at the Roosters and Head is being chased hard by the eels! which is why he is reluctant to sign before June 30.

take that information as you please!

Latest posts