What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

RLW

Avenger

Immortal
Who would suit our side more assuming Witt is our long term number 6. Head or Firman?? Also if we get either I think Tim Smith will go. Can someone tell me how old is Head, Smith aand Firman??

Eels Dude

Coach
eelavation said:
I don't know how old you are ED! but we tried to do that on the back of the golden era in 80's and it failed miserably in the late 80's and early 90's we were a bit more forgiving back then but the last few weeks has tought me that we won't tollerate with even a year or 2 of mediocrity to get where we want to go.

Sometimes we have to put up with mediocrity. No point comparing this situation to the late 80's and early 90's. We have a different coach in Brian Smith, better juniors players, and more restrictions via a salary cap. I don't want to put up with mediocrity, but a quick fix solution won't do any wonders. I'd rather see the club get back to bacics, and start afresh, rather than make the same mistake over again.

Stagger eel

Staff member
Eels Dude said:
eelavation said:
I don't know how old you are ED! but we tried to do that on the back of the golden era in 80's and it failed miserably in the late 80's and early 90's we were a bit more forgiving back then but the last few weeks has tought me that we won't tollerate with even a year or 2 of mediocrity to get where we want to go.

Sometimes we have to put up with mediocrity. No point comparing this situation to the late 80's and early 90's. We have a different coach in Brian Smith, better juniors players, and more restrictions via a salary cap. I don't want to put up with mediocrity, but a quick fix solution won't do any wonders. I'd rather see the club get back to bacics, and start afresh, rather than make the same mistake over again.

ok! thats your perogative [spelling] thats fine.

Never said your phillosophy doesn't work!! all I said are the fans going to put up with that mediocrity????

PS: you may want to ask Misty and RJ that very question.

eels_fan

First Grade
Matt Head is an awesome play and would be a great buy...would obviously partner Witt in the halves. St George wants him bad though so i have my doubts. How f**ked would ST George be if Matt Head signs with Parra!! They had Firman on a 3 year deal but have released him cos Head seemed a better prospect and they were sure of signing him. Now Firman has unofficially signed with the roosters, and Head is linked to Parra!! HAHA...Barrett will have to play 5/8th and Halfback..that is til he gets injured 2 weeks into the season as per usual!! :lol:

Stagger eel

Staff member
like I said ef! all speculation and I dare say they will keep either one of the 2 and they will only officialy release Firmon if Head signs elsewhere!

Eels Dude

Coach
eelavation said:
Eels Dude said:
eelavation said:

ok! thats your perogative [spelling] thats fine.

Never said your phillosophy doesn't work!! all I said are the fans going to put up with that mediocrity????

PS: you may want to ask Misty and RJ that very question.

The trouble is we've been putting up with mediocrity for 3 years now, for all fellow fans sake I hope this turns around. Smith last year went for a short term solution of recruiting big players which didn't turn out, hopefully he makes the right decisions next time and looks at long term gains.

Avenger, Both Firman and Head are 22. Tim Smith is 17 or 18 I think.

The Colonel

Immortal
Last year we went for quantity with a small amount of quality. This year we can chase the bigger names and let go a few of the lesser lights from this year as our young blokes are just that little bit older and wiser.....

Parraren

Bench
eelavation said:
I just spoke to a self confessed saints contact!

He tells me that Brent Kite is now likelly to stay at the Dragons!! no word on Riddell but it seems like the Sharks have defenitly dropped off! Firmon is a definite at the Roosters and Head is being chased hard by the eels! which is why he is reluctant to sign before June 30.

take that information as you please!

Rumour rumours rumours :lol: The silly season is really taking off this yeat ain't it!

Well this latest one ties in very well with the rumour that Saints are chasing Matt Orford and if they can get him they are prepared to lose Head & Firman & one of Riddell/Kite. Apparently, so the rumour goes, Orford see's his best chance of getting a blues shirt by playing inside Trent Barrett.

Parraren

Bench
Last year we went for quantity with a small amount of quality. This year we can chase the bigger names and let go a few of the lesser lights from this year as our young blokes are just that little bit older and wiser.....

Spot on Colonel. It's what i've been saying all along....QUALITY not QUANTITY this year.

CrazyEel

Bench
Eels Dude said:
The trouble is we've been putting up with mediocrity for 3 years now, for all fellow fans sake I hope this turns around. Smith last year went for a short term solution of recruiting big players which didn't turn out, hopefully he makes the right decisions next time and looks at long term gains.

Colonel Eel said:

As I'm a lazy bugger I'll just agree with you guys and save myself the effort :clap:

Parraren

Bench
The big conspiracy theory is that Roosters Inc. (Gould) have allegedly done their very best to bump up the asking price for relatively unknown players at the Dragons this year (Hornby, Cooper, Kite & Head) in order to get to their prize acquisition; Brett Firman.

Hornby was a BIG surprise selection in Origin 1 (and where is he now? #-o ), Cooper is now 18th man, Kite was another bolter for Origin & Gould/Sterlo/Voss cannot stop ranting and raving about Matt Head whenever there is a Dragons game on ch.9 (I think he's had the player cam on him in a couple of games too?). Head has picked up the MOM award on 2 occasions and Gould actually compared him to the great Peter Sterling. Riddell also made his first ever rep side this year under Ricky Stuart in City-Country. All of the above mentioned players are coincedently off contract with the Dragons this year :-k

All speculation of course but it makes you wonder...

strider

Post Whore
You've gotta love a good conspiracy theory... :lol: :lol: :lol:

We'll forget the fact that all those players have actually been playing very well in a team decimated by injuries to big names.

Parraren

Bench
You've gotta love a good conspiracy theory...

We'll forget the fact that all those players have actually been playing very well in a team decimated by injuries to big names.

I say why let facts get in the way of some good 'ol Rooster bashing :lol:

Unreal V

Juniors
Wheather its Firman, Riddell or Matt Head the point is we have to make room for these guys, what message does it send to the guys playing in PL, you can't reward Morrris who has been our best player over the last 2 years by telling him to have a break Riddell is in town. The more changes the more time it takes to settle, this has been our problem so far. Why not let Witt mature as a player, let him know he does have a future by not going after another half back or 5/8 what ever his future role is.

Give Thorman time to adapt and show some faith in Dykes you'll get a whole lot back.

For gods sake your no 6,7 and 9 are the fabrick of your team as far as attack stop changing our halves.

Dykes, Thorman, Witt, Morris all good attacking players, heaps of talent and all can and have shown in the past individual brilliance, and only recently have they started to think in terms of team plays rather than relying on themselves.

And for all of you who disagree I would rather support a Parramatta that makes great players than one that buys them. Imagine having half your team in one hit being ex St George players, we copped that with the ex Bulldogs brigade and we didn't win anything.

Where we have deficiencies then fair enough go outside the club, we need a good 3/4 lets go after Tait.

Special K

Coach
Pig won't be a shark, the deal has been taken down :D

its looking like he will stay with the drags but you never know he might take the money.

Hurriflatch

Referee
any reason the Sharks wuthdrew their offer??

too high an asking price???
found someone else to sign???

Parraren

Bench
Unreal V said:
Wheather its Firman, Riddell or Matt Head the point is we have to make room for these guys, what message does it send to the guys playing in PL, you can't reward Morrris who has been our best player over the last 2 years by telling him to have a break Riddell is in town. The more changes the more time it takes to settle, this has been our problem so far. Why not let Witt mature as a player, let him know he does have a future by not going after another half back or 5/8 what ever his future role is.

Give Thorman time to adapt and show some faith in Dykes you'll get a whole lot back.

For gods sake your no 6,7 and 9 are the fabrick of your team as far as attack stop changing our halves.

Dykes, Thorman, Witt, Morris all good attacking players, heaps of talent and all can and have shown in the past individual brilliance, and only recently have they started to think in terms of team plays rather than relying on themselves.

And for all of you who disagree I would rather support a Parramatta that makes great players than one that buys them. Imagine having half your team in one hit being ex St George players, we copped that with the ex Bulldogs brigade and we didn't win anything.

Where we have deficiencies then fair enough go outside the club, we need a good 3/4 lets go after Tait.

I agree with you to a certain extent but the flow of talent over the past 2-3 years has been all one way; out of the club. It's no coincidence that we've struggled during this time. We need to bring 2-3 high quality players back to the club to rectify this. One of them must be a class centre to replace Lyon.

bartman

Immortal
Seems strange everyone wants out of Saints all of a sudden? What's doing there? I remember Lance Thompson took a pay cut to stay a while back.

Does Barrett eat up most of their cap, the fellas sick of getting slapped around by Brownie, or what?

Latest posts