What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

RLWC 2021 Profits?

titoelcolombiano

First Grade
Has anyone heard anything official on the profit made by the 2021 WC? This roar article suggests that it would have made a small loss which I find hard to believe given the sponsorship and government funds were greater than any previous tournament.

Pneuma

First Grade
Has anyone heard anything official on the profit made by the 2021 WC? This roar article suggests that it would have made a small loss which I find hard to believe given the sponsorship and government funds were greater than any previous tournament.

An extensive internet search provided nothing to answer your question. Strange.

titoelcolombiano

First Grade
An extensive internet search provided nothing to answer your question. Strange.
Yeah I couldn't find anything either. Makes me concerned that it might be true. However, I was under the impression that the tournament was underwritten by the UK Government. That, plus the sponsorship portfolio it attracted was greater than any previous RLWC.

Perth Red

Post Whore
alas it doesn't sound like they did. Probably mainly due to not being able to get a good tv deal.

We've got 15 commercial partners who are new to the sport and then there's a balance to make up from ticket revenue. There's no profit.

"I think the business model for the tournament could be improved upon significantly and that's part of our learning."

Organisers knew they would be struggling to break even after the 12-month postponement, which meant they had to offer refunds for tickets already purchased.

"We refunded 20%, and in the main, that was the new audience we were trying to attract, such as the event-goers in particular from London and the south," said Dutton.

"Some of those people didn't re-purchase and that really hurt us. We think it's somewhere between 5% and 10%. There's a revenue impact but an impact on numbers coming through the turnstiles too."

Harry O

Juniors
If they made a profit from the WC...they would have to share it between all the countries right?

Perth Red

Post Whore
If they made a profit from the WC...they would have to share it between all the countries right?
Yes, the organising company gets a %, participating countries get a guaranteed amount regardless of profits, any profits after that go to the IRL to grow the game.

Iamback

Coach
People like to blame the NRL but this is why the game doesn't grow internationally.

It was clear some games would rely on freebies to get a crowd, More double headers and cheaper venues was the way. Pride got in the way

Perth Red

Post Whore
Its hard to see how with record crowds at the big games, full ticket pricing for first time and record corporate sales they didnt manage to turn a profit? There was a number of Dissapointing crowds in the rounds and in heartland areas but not any worse than previous tournaments.

Iamback

Coach
Its hard to see how with record crowds at the big games, full ticket pricing for first time and record corporate sales they didnt manage to turn a profit? There was a number of Dissapointing crowds in the rounds and in heartland areas but not any worse than previous tournaments.

Because they added Womens to it, With the added costs, They should of been double headers with Mens games to save money

Y
Because they added Womens to it, With the added costs, They should of been double headers with Mens games to save money
Yep, it’s clear that for a sport like RL where the disparity between the top 8 nations vs the bottom 8 makes for far more unfulfilling experiences, the whole structure needs an overhaul.

To really maximise the gate, we must have the top nations playing each other. To think England fixed the draw so they could avoid big drawing fixtures against either NZ or Australia until the Final, only to go through the the tournament without playing either at all because they were beaten by Samoa is simply ridiculous.

I proposed a different structure for the WC which would culminate with the top six nations all play each other, round robin, followed by a final, all in six weeks. Imagine how good the tournament would have been if the second stage of the tournament saw England, Aus, NZ, Tonga, Samoa and one of PNG/Fiji/Lebanon all play each other.

Those fixtures would have been far more enticing for the tragic and newcomer alike and I expect England alone would have drawn a minimum 30k to each of their matches.

Perth Red

Post Whore
AN\ny world sporting events has lowers teams/athletes getting tonked by the best in the pools. Nature of the beast. What may help financially is having double headers to reduce stadium costs.

Obviously expanding the WRLWC and wheelchair WC increased costs this world cup which would have impacted profits.

Id probably go three pools of 6 teams so at least you can manufacture a great pool game early rounds
eg for 2025
pool 1
NZ
Tonga
+4

Pool 2
Aus
Eng
+4

Pool 3
Samoa
France
+4

AN\ny world sporting events has lowers teams/athletes getting tonked by the best in the pools. Nature of the beast. What may help financially is having double headers to reduce stadium costs.

Obviously expanding the WRLWC and wheelchair WC increased costs this world cup which would have impacted profits.

Id probably go three pools of 6 teams so at least you can manufacture a great pool game early rounds
eg for 2025
pool 1
NZ
Tonga
+4

Pool 2
Aus
Eng
+4

Pool 3
Samoa
France
+4
I don’t want to watch England vs +4. I don’t want to watch Aus v +4. Who on earth does?

I want to see the best nations play the best nations.

I’m not sure how I can explain it better other than the best 6 teams play against the other best 6 teams. Why wouldn’t you go with that model?

wain

Juniors
I don’t want to watch England vs +4. I don’t want to watch Aus v +4. Who on earth does?

I want to see the best nations play the best nations.

I’m not sure how I can explain it better other than the best 6 teams play against the other best 6 teams. Why wouldn’t you go with that model?
we had that with the super pools, and this is the first world cup that moved away from the format. Public perception tends to be pretty negative at the best of times, let alone when the RLWC has a contrived super pool.

Maybe the happy medium is to do the standard pools of 4, but each team has a cross-pool matchup of their corresponding seeding?

Doesnt cricket 50-over WC have pools then a series before finals? Maybe pools occur then a top 8 move into a further pool scenario rather than straight knockout?

That being said, I don't have a problem with the current 4 pools of 4. We have teams closer than before and will continue to close the gap if we play more intl footy and small teams play against decent competition.

Perth Red

Post Whore
Maybe pools of 3x5 pools but like you said there’s one cross pool game. so with 3 pools you’d get two close games and two top v lower team games? 15 team comp.

pool A
NZ
Tonga
fiji
+2

Pool B
Aus
Eng
PNG
+2

Pool C
Samoa
France
ireland
+2

So in that scenario eng would play aus, png, nz one of the lower pool B clubs. 3 good games and one blow Out.

we had that with the super pools, and this is the first world cup that moved away from the format. Public perception tends to be pretty negative at the best of times, let alone when the RLWC has a contrived super pool.

Maybe the happy medium is to do the standard pools of 4, but each team has a cross-pool matchup of their corresponding seeding?

Doesnt cricket 50-over WC have pools then a series before finals? Maybe pools occur then a top 8 move into a further pool scenario rather than straight knockout?

That being said, I don't have a problem with the current 4 pools of 4. We have teams closer than before and will continue to close the gap if we play more intl footy and small teams play against decent competition.
Having 4 pools at the same stage of a tournament where all four pools are not as equal as each other is downright ridiculous.

Perth Red

Post Whore
If you want more top team match ups in the pool stage, and there’s an argument it takes away from the excitement of the finals if you do, then you only have two options. A super pool or inter pool games. Only way of doing it,

you can say eng didn’t play aus but that’s the luck of the draw, besides that should have just led to the excitement of a kangaroos tour to Europe this year!

Are you saying that’s what I’m suggesting?
No, just making a point that those previous seeded pools of 2017 and 2013 WCs were atrocious.
If you want more top team match ups in the pool stage, and there’s an argument it takes away from the excitement of the finals if you do, then you only have two options. A super pool or inter pool games. Only way of doing it,

you can say eng didn’t play aus but that’s the luck of the draw, besides that should have just led to the excitement of a kangaroos tour to Europe this year!
Well I’m suggesting a solution that will take the luck of the draw out of it. Surely one of the remits of a RL World Cup is to attract newcomers to the sport. Why wouldn’t we want to deliver an opportunity for those people to watch as many of the highest quality of matchups as possible?

Rather than delivering dreary, uncompetitive group stage fixtures which deliver very little entertainment? I mean look at the attendances. The higher the quality of opponents, the bigger the crowds. It’s all about presenting the best vs the best.

Cricket has an interesting setup for the 50 over game. The top teams will have all played each other before the final if I am not mistaken.

Have the profits from the 2017 world cup held here been published yet?

Latest posts