What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

RLWC 2021 Profits?

Iamback

Coach
we had that with the super pools, and this is the first world cup that moved away from the format. Public perception tends to be pretty negative at the best of times, let alone when the RLWC has a contrived super pool.

Maybe the happy medium is to do the standard pools of 4, but each team has a cross-pool matchup of their corresponding seeding?

Doesnt cricket 50-over WC have pools then a series before finals? Maybe pools occur then a top 8 move into a further pool scenario rather than straight knockout?

That being said, I don't have a problem with the current 4 pools of 4. We have teams closer than before and will continue to close the gap if we play more intl footy and small teams play against decent competition.

Only problem is the length of time that would need.

RL's biggest issue is there are 2 professional comps only, Say Scotland and Greece want extra games.

They will fill both sides with locals and the actual test team won't improve

Wb1234

Referee
I suspect the English took some decent money out of it to repay covid loans they took out to keep their game going

there’s no way that tournament will have lost money based on the high ticket sales

Perth Red

Post Whore
I can see it. Womens games barely had anyone
For future WC's I think it would be good to have double headers with womens game then the mens game at each venue. reduce costs and gives the women a crowd, at least for some of second half.

Perth Red

Post Whore
Need more even match-ups. Make it an 8 or 10 team tournament, with two pools and semi-finals. No point in including teams with squads that aren't authentic players in any way.
If you only include 'authentic players' we would have a 5 team tournament!

Perth Red

Post Whore
TG: "The World Cup 2021 was never set up to make a profit. We're like a non-profit organisation.

"They've met their budget, received support from the UK government, which is significant, and I'm not sure if all the accounting reconciliations have been completed but the IRL's rights fee, as part of that budget, is being met.

"While the final accounting is still being done, it was an an enormous success. We had record levels of investment that came into the competition.

"But what we were challenged by was record expenses that exploded with inflation. Our airfares tripled in the last 18 months beforehand, and accommodation costs went through the roof.

"I guess the thing is that potential profit in the profit sense of the word didn't eventuate because of those factors, but all bills are paid, all commitments are made if that makes sense.

"It was a success but all the changes in economics probably, I think it's been estimated that it was around GBP11m impact on what could have additionally been made had prices remained stable from a couple of years before the inflationary pressures that occurred."

LeagueXIII

First Grade
Need more even match-ups. Make it an 8 or 10 team tournament, with two pools and semi-finals. No point in including teams with squads that aren't authentic players in any way.

So who would be the 10 can we get it to 12?

Australia
NZ
England
France
Wales
Samoa
Tonga
Fiji
PNG
Cook Islands

Anyone else like to play?

Wb1234

Referee
TG: "The World Cup 2021 was never set up to make a profit. We're like a non-profit organisation.

"They've met their budget, received support from the UK government, which is significant, and I'm not sure if all the accounting reconciliations have been completed but the IRL's rights fee, as part of that budget, is being met.

"While the final accounting is still being done, it was an an enormous success. We had record levels of investment that came into the competition.

"But what we were challenged by was record expenses that exploded with inflation. Our airfares tripled in the last 18 months beforehand, and accommodation costs went through the roof.

"I guess the thing is that potential profit in the profit sense of the word didn't eventuate because of those factors, but all bills are paid, all commitments are made if that makes sense.

"It was a success but all the changes in economics probably, I think it's been estimated that it was around GBP11m impact on what could have additionally been made had prices remained stable from a couple of years before the inflationary pressures that occurred."

Didn’t really lose money then

irl got their fee

wonder how much that was

next one can’t just be northern based needed way more games in London and also France

İzmir Zaferi

Juniors
I know in Turkey and other similar nations this is going to hurt us. We have been constantly told, after the World Cup, when there is money, we will be able to send Referees/ Coaches to do training. Some finance will be available as well for general operation etc. Unfortunately, this will be a real kick in the guts. Not really just the no money, we have never had any but the previous investments from individuals on the ground was always on some level of hope that one day they could decrease or minimise the financial impact on their businesses and families.

People seem to miss this but this is why we need the top of the game to be somewhat obsessed with making more money. There is no money to give / invest unless you are making it.

İzmir Zaferi

Juniors
It would be a shame for Quarter Finalists Lebanon not to get a look in in front of many of those.

They need to tighten atleast birth or passport representation.

I don't think a single Lebanese player based in Lebanon actually got on the field. This pattern actually harms the local game. Why both if a group of players from Sydney take all the places.

They need to tighten atleast birth or passport representation.

I don't think a single Lebanese player based in Lebanon actually got on the field. This pattern actually harms the local game. Why both if a group of players from Sydney take all the places.
I am sure all of them are eligible for a lebanese’ passport.

İzmir Zaferi

Juniors
Maybe eligible but many won't take a Lebanese passport because it could come with Military obligations.

Either way, the primary point stands.

The RLWC did very little for Lebanese Rugby League players and Clubs in Lebanon.

What a shame.