What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

RLWC17 squads

Michael Morgan into the Ireland squad (not that Michael Morgan) for Toby King.

Looks like the Oct 13 deadline doesn't actually mean squads can't change. So expect several more changes seeing as there's still a few more warm-up games.

morningstar

Juniors
Brierley is out for Scotland, no word on a replacement yet....

http://www.sbs.com.au/news/article/2017/10/16/brierley-out-scotland-rl-world-cup

Scotland suffered a last-minute blow on the eve of their departure for the Rugby League World Cup with the loss of Toronto halfback Ryan Brierley.

The former Leigh and Huddersfield player underwent surgery two months ago after rupturing a tendon in his hand and was ruled out after undergoing a late fitness check on Sunday before the squad left for Australia.

"I'm absolutely devastated," Brierley said. "The surgeon said my finger isn't strong enough.

"It was my dream to play in a World Cup, especially in Australia, but I will be supporting the boys from back home."

Brierley, who made his Scotland debut against Australia in the 2016 Four Nations Series in Hull, missed the end of Toronto's promotion-winning season after picking up the injury in their draw at Keighley in August.

"It was a ruptured tendon in my middle finger and they said if they didn't operate, I'd lose the movement in my finger for the rest of my life so I had to get it done it done straight away," he added.

"It is probably the smallest injury I've ever had but the most complicated."

Scotland even more rooted.

I wonder if there is any kind of deadline for changes because the October 13 one doesn't seem to have mattered. Are teams going to be changing right up to kickoff? Are they going to change during the tournament? Surely not.

Rory

Juniors
Scotland even more rooted.

I wonder if there is any kind of deadline for changes because the October 13 one doesn't seem to have mattered. Are teams going to be changing right up to kickoff? Are they going to change during the tournament? Surely not.

Well nations obviously can't do it during the tournament (e.g ben murdoch-masila 2013) so if an injury happens in the lead up while squads have been named, they can replace whoever they want within the rules. A nation cannot go into a World Cup with 22-23 players, cause its just an unfair advantage to the other nations.

adamkungl

Immortal
Don't believe a bloke with the name Samoa is repping USA, how embarrassing for our sport just shows what a joke this farcical "World" cup is!!!!

Matua

Bench
Don't believe a bloke with the name Samoa is repping USA, how embarrassing for our sport just shows what a joke this farcical "World" cup is!!!!
TBF, he may not even be eligible for the team that bares his surname. If his parents or grandparents aren't born in Samoa then he'll only be eligible for USA.

Stallion

First Grade

Just as a note to that. If more people were aware of the obstacles rugby league has faced in many countries around the world I think a more understanding and empathetic view would be prevalent and appropriate.

Rory

Juniors

Tui is born in american samoa which gives him the right to play for the USA. Therefore its not a joke as some islanders have countrys as there last name e.g. willie tonga, esikeli tonga, jacob samoa.