What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

RLWC2017 Crowd Watch

kiwileaguefan

Juniors
Looks like they have open and closed bays again in the Tonga vs Samoa game. Its honestly doesn't look like 18,000 tickets have been sold, so hard to tell with how they have been selling them....guess we will see tonight.

As for the Scotland vs NZ game, it appears maybe just over half has been sold so should be on track for just over 10,000. The ends of the ground look full but they don't hold much of the 18,000 capacity.

PNG vs Ireland is down to 962 tickets left with just 24 hours to go...

Raiderdave

First Grade
Seriously? You think 12,000 to watch Australia in a WC with a two year lead in is acceptable? Fourteen years ago or not the RUWC still managed to persuade the Australian public that the Wallabies playing Namibia is an event not to be missed! I bet the expensive tickets to that match sold out quickly too. Aussie fans haven't had a WC for nine years and they won't get another one for another twelve years. Judging by the turnout they won't be missed. You have a national team who rarely plays and when they do next to nobody can be arsed to watch. Maybe the Kangaroos should wrap up and let the rest of the world get on with it whilst Australia can indulge themselves in the NRL and SoO.

hahahaha
for 40 years you lot have been pathetic

thats our fault is it ?

taipan

Referee
Until such time as the majority of players from teams are those countries' locals, rugby league is going to get hammered by the cynics within and outside media and other coders the game.
Remember our code's presence in many countries is minimal ATM.
The aim of this tournament firstly is to make money ,to actually support the RLIF in it's endeavours.Of course getting packed houses provides a bigger profit.
Can't we just accept the fact under the current prevailing conditions,packed houses for prelims will not happen, but continuing to grow the game and stage more RLWCs will eventually lead to countries with decent numbers of local participants to participate in future cups.That will lead to more people attending and thus bigger profits.
Whilst we complain here about crowds ,we continue to ignore latest news on growth of the code in Spain and Turkey and the recommendation that Italy become a full member of the RLIF.Hardly earth shattering but at least representative of growth.

As the saying goes we have to accept the hard fact:"We have to crawl before we can walk".
Who knows what eventuates from RLWC 2021 in GB or 2025 in the USA.What we want now is a profitable RLWC17, is needed to further seed the game.

The constant negativity about anything rugby league which overlooks any positives that have happened ,gives me the Darren Britts.

Last edited:

titoelcolombiano

First Grade
Stop comparing Diamonds with Apples......

And like I said their administration is light years ahead of the current mob running this RLWC...so what do you expect. And like I keep on harping about, the preception in Australia and NZ is that the RLWC is a joke as most of the teams are made up of mainly Australian, NZ and English born players. That is the public perception...until that is changed this going to be the result for International League....

I'm not getting into an argument and high jacking this thread...but stop comparing our sport to other sports that are way more advanced in all aspects of their International game. Compare to something measurable like the previous RLWC in Australia or the last RLWC.:)

The perception you mention really hurts the tournament. France are one of the teams that can actually name a squad of players born in the country they represent but the commentators had to mention like three times FFS that the full back was Australian born and qualified through residency. The average sports fan watching would then just assume most of the French team were in the same boat.

parrawentyfan

Juniors
The perception you mention really hurts the tournament. France are one of the teams that can actually name a squad of players born in the country they represent but the commentators had to mention like three times FFS that the full back was Australian born and qualified through residency. The average sports fan watching would then just assume most of the French team were in the same boat.

I have loved 7 in this WC but that has frustrated me too. I noticed the same when the USA played Fiji. One thing I wish they would do is list the current clubs during the announcement of the lineups. Would be particularly cool to see where all the French and US players play.

Warriors Fever

Juniors
Like Melbourne I thought the crowd last night was average but hardly a disaster. There were plenty of French pockets there and the consensus by many were that the French weren't too bad. This is despite having some of their best players out. Looking forward to hopefully a decent Lebanese turn up at the sfs. Unfortunately the kangaroos at the moment aren't fanatically supported due to their dominance so unlike England you won't find a lot of parochialism at their games until there is a slight chance they could lose.

hutch

First Grade
Like Melbourne I thought the crowd last night was average but hardly a disaster. There were plenty of French pockets there and the consensus by many were that the French weren't too bad. This is despite having some of their best players out. Looking forward to hopefully a decent Lebanese turn up at the sfs. Unfortunately the kangaroos at the moment aren't fanatically supported due to their dominance so unlike England you won't find a lot of parochialism at their games until there is a slight chance they could lose.

Most international fans don’t even want the kangaroos to win (myself included). Most rugby league fans in Australia don’t care that much about international rugby league. I don’t know why this is so but it is even more evident now than ever. I have four tickets to next week aus v lebanese game and am struggling for takers. My mates are lifelong RL fans, some have played professionally and have no interest in going. It’s sad.

adamkungl

Immortal
Most international fans don’t even want the kangaroos to win (myself included). Most rugby league fans in Australia don’t care that much about international rugby league. I don’t know why this is so but it is even more evident now than ever. I have four tickets to next week aus v lebanese game and am struggling for takers. My mates are lifelong RL fans, some have played professionally and have no interest in going. It’s sad.

I find the same with music tbh, it's a Sydney thing.
Trying to get someone to go to a gig that's anything less popular than Foo Fighters or Metallica is close to impossible, even if they're big rock/metal fans

Burns

First Grade
Anyone who pays for tickets today is silly. A bajillion free tickets floating around.

Latest posts