Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Rn18 vs Titans GAME DAY THREAD Friday 16 July, 2021 @ 6pm

I remember merkins talking him up as a teenaged reserve grader, but he didn't make his NRL debut until a couple of months after his 20th birthday (and his debut season was awesome). Jake Arthur doesn't turn 19 until the end of September, so he'll be the same age Smith was on debut in about November 2022. He's got some time to catch up.
His debut season was immense. He try assists were something like 30 or something from memory. He was a talent but again the dickhead factor at our club let him down more than the lack of a running game.

Arthur I reckon may even leave for another club and then come back when Moses wants another million dollars or more a season at age 30. By then Arthur could be the solution especially if his dad is still here.

It won’t happen though because I suspect BA will have his last season with us in 2022 and become the inaugural coach of the new team in Queensland. If they were smart they would do that rather than giving it to some QLD f**kwit that has no idea. Pretty sure Jakob Arthur is born in Queensland.

Gazzamatta

Tim Smith reminds me of Ash Taylor.

Arthur's will.be a slow burn. He will be very head strong and have work ethics superior to 90% of players. This maybe enough to make up for his less desirable athletic talent.
If I was to compare him to someone it would be Nathan Cleary not T.Smith. Nathan's just perfect at everything he does. He is hardly an excitement machine.
Fair comments mate and I reckon your Nleary comparison may be close to the mark. Nleary has bulked up heaps over the past 18 months and his game has improved accordingly. Once Jrthurs body develops he could be anything.

If he is as good as Jeff Robson that may be enough. I really like the kid. Supreme fitness and a great attitude.

King-Gutho94

His debut season was immense. He try assists were something like 30 or something from memory. He was a talent but again the dickhead factor at our club let him down more than the lack of a running game.

Arthur I reckon may even leave for another club and then come back when Moses wants another million dollars or more a season at age 30. By then Arthur could be the solution especially if his dad is still here.

It won’t happen though because I suspect BA will have his last season with us in 2022 and become the inaugural coach of the new team in Queensland. If they were smart they would do that rather than giving it to some QLD f**kwit that has no idea. Pretty sure Jakob Arthur is born in Queensland.

Yeah jake was born in cairns when BA was coaching up there.

TheRam

the problem is, and one of the Fox commentators mentioned it, they wont send 2 players to the bin as it really weakens the team so much, not that that justifies it

I didn't say they should have both been sent to the bin and I wasn't expecting it. But the MRC should have sited both of them and suspensions should have followed. That would have been the correct way to have handled it. All they have done now is create further inconsistency and brought criticism onto themselves. It was a no brainer. No one would have blinked an eye over it and everyone would know where they stand on that type of tackle. Now all they have done is brought doubt and confusion into any similar tackle and solicitors will come in and show that example as a reason for their client to be let off and all that sort of nonsense.

Dumb arses that just keep making a rod for their own back. What if someone doesn't get injured you get off or just a minor fine, is that the bar we are setting? Are they waiting for a player to have an injury first? Bloody idiots. Who are these people the NRL keeps employing that can't even get the most basics right every time, not just some of the time?

TheRam

Remember, DCE didn't make his NRL debut till he was 22 years old. Arthur is of similar mould, but has been given NRL exposure before his time and people are trying to assess him now. As Pou would say, dumb dumbs.

I didn't say they should have both been sent to the bin and I wasn't expecting it. But the MRC should have sited both of them and suspensions should have followed. That would have been the correct way to have handled it. All they have done now is create further inconsistency and brought criticism onto themselves. It was a no brainer. No one would have blinked an eye over it and everyone would know where they stand on that type of tackle. Now all they have done is brought doubt and confusion into any similar tackle and solicitors will come in and show that example as a reason for their client to be let off and all that sort of nonsense.

Dumb arses that just keep making a rod for their own back. What if someone doesn't get injured you get off or just a minor fine, is that the bar we are setting? Are they waiting for a player to have an injury first? Bloody idiots. Who are these people the NRL keeps employing that can't even get the most basics right every time, not just some of the time?
*sighted

You call it dickhead factor being a problem, but you have also many times said 2005 was a great parra team .... maybe we need to accept some dickheadness.

I think tim needs a fair bit of responsibility for his own behaviour. ... i think he is another of rugby leagues lost talents who didnt have the mental toughness to be a success.

TheRam

You call it dickhead factor being a problem, but you have also many times said 2005 was a great parra team .... maybe we need to accept some dickheadness.

I think tim needs a fair bit of responsibility for his own behaviour. ... i think he is another of rugby leagues lost talents who didnt have the mental toughness to be a success.

Bipolar can do that to a person.

He was at a disadvantage, but Tmith is responsible for how his career turned out.
Absolutely because drinking piss usually doesn’t help the condition. It was nice that Piggy Riddell supported him through it though.

A prime example of a former dickhead.

Tim was talented. Awesome first season. And that was basically his career.
Actualy he was quite like that Canberra halfback Todd Carney. Just not as long and successful.

Angry_eel

Absolutely because drinking piss usually doesn’t help the condition. It was nice that Piggy Riddell supported him through it though.

A prime example of a former dickhead.
Pig didn't set the world on fire but I wouldn't say he was a complete dud. He did alright in the NRL, given the body he had anyway.

I don’t care about their playing ability. Hayne, Kenny Edwards, Norman all had ability but were disruptive to the playing group. The benefit of hindsight has taught us that.