What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Rnd 3: 4 NATIONS 2010: Kumuls v Lions

Willow

Assistant Moderator
Forum 7s - 4 Nations - 2010
GREAT BRITAIN & IRELAND LIONS v PAPUA NEW GUINEA KUMULS
british-map-100x100.jpg
-v-
badge_PNG_trans_100x104.gif

Big Mick (c)---------Titanic (c)

Game Thread:
* Please note - This is a game thread only, therefore only game posts can be made here (Teams, Articles).
* Any other posts may result in loss of points and is at the discretion of the referee
* Only original articles, not used in previous games, will be marked by referees.​

Naming Teams (F7s 4 Nations conditions):
* 3v3 (+ 4 reserves for each team)
* No 'TBA' or changing players named
* Captains must stick with original teams named​

FULL TIME: Saturday 13 November 2010 at 9pm (Syd time)

REFEREE: Non Terminator

Venue: Wembley​

**The Referee Blows Game On!**
whistle_2.gif

CLICK HERE FOR OFFICIAL WORD COUNTER

Titanic

First Grade
flag_PNG_1.gif

The Kumuls regroup, after stepping around a pack of rabid labradors, for an assault on a position in the Final.

1. (bursting out of the blocks) bartman
(a colossus in center-field) Willow
3. (a re-run of) Titanic

4. (more than just a dot on the map) murphyscreek
5. (mother goose) bgdc

6. (bikini line & cheeks waxed) tits&tans (this week's mascot)

Big Mick

Referee
Unfortunately the numbers are not there for the Lions for this game. We will have to forfeit. Terribly sorry to the PNG Kumals.

Willow

Assistant Moderator
I'm assuming that the F7s mgt forum is a distant third in any discussions? If not, please feel to move these posts (including mine) to the F7s mgt forum, or request for a mod or admin to do so.

Some of us would like to play so our articles can be read and marked - that being the spirit of the competition. Even if it is 3v2, it is still a match for the players who had a go, and those articles are recorded and credited towards the player's match count.

It also be nice to for the team to have the opportunity to gain a bonus point.

I for one will be posting unless the ref or Kumuls captain say otherwise.

I have two articles. Believe me, if it was allowable in the rules, I'd whack on Lions jersey to help make a game of it. ;-)

So c'mon Mick... still plenty of time mate.

Big Mick

Referee
Scrap that May not forfeit after all.

Hutty has kindly given his time and I'm trying to get in contact with the other guys.

Titanic

First Grade
The Lion that Roared ... about bloody time ... referee please spank me, after you've spanked the rest of them :)

bartman

Immortal
Bartman puts in a hit-up for the Kumuls... Larim mekim dispala!

- - - - -

This Is Not The Way Home…

4536726615.jpg

Wagga Wagga is a local aboriginal title meaning “place of many crows”[1]. As a kid growing up in Sydney during the 1980s, I thought it must have meant “place of many excellent halfbacks” as it was the hometown of both Peter Sterling and Steve Mortimer – two “number sevens” that were dominating rugby league at the time.

Apart from “Sterlo” and “Turvey”[2] there have been other notable other rugby league halfbacks that started their careers in Wagga, such as former NSW rep Steve Martin and today’s form halfback Jamie Soward. Even that “little guy” in the premiership trophy, Arthur Summons, finished his career by coaching in Wagga. Recently I had reason to spend time in Wagga for work, and was pretty confident in my assumption that I’d find a strong rugby league town….

- - -

Mid-flight, as rural scenery rushed by underneath the plane’s shadow, I found myself reflecting on our nation’s stark city-country divide and how the lifestyles that people lead can be so different depending on where we live at any given time. I’ve had some experience living in a smaller regional town (albeit outside Australia), and it helps you to understand just how many services and resources are centralised in large cities – and that sometimes city folk can take that access for granted compared to our country cousins.

My thoughts drifted to the realisation that none of us have any say at all about the areas into which we are born…. Even if we limit our thinking just to Australia, our lives and everything about them seem like a bit of a lottery. For example, would we turn out differently if we had started life in the bush, rather than in the city (or vice versa)? Would we have become different people if we had spent our formative years in different parts of the city or bush to those parts that we each identify as our home turf?

Place has an amazing power to shape us all as individuals. Coming back to rugby league, I’ve been a Parramatta Eels supporter for over 30 years simply because it was the place where I was born and grew up, just like my father before me. Can I imagine myself as a Roosters fan if instead I’d been born deep in Sydney’s eastern suburbs, or a Manly fan if I’d been born north of the Bridge? Hell no – but that’s undoubtedly how my rugby league allegiances would have played out, but for the minor miracle that I entered the world in a certain geographical locale.

As the plane prepared to land I pondered where my club allegiance would lie if I had been born in the country, in a town like Wagga? Even at its strongest, rugby league in the country didn’t have any formal ties to particular teams playing in the top Sydney competition. There were no automatic links to help a young lad work out which team he wanted to support in the “big smoke” – even Sterlo and Turvey left Wagga for Sydney on "a wing and a prayer" to further their rugby league careers. In the city during the 1970s and 1980s rugby league came to you, but for people in the country – then and now – you still had to seek out rugby league.

- - -

I was taken by surprise while driving the streets of Wagga and noticing just how many parks had AFL goalposts in place, and how few had rugby league goalposts. I turned on the television in my motel room and was greeted by an advert on a local channel, telling me that “Wagga Rules”, and extolling me to come down to the Wagga (Aussie) Rules Club[3]. I spoke to a younger work colleague who had grown up nearby and she confirmed that much had changed since the 1980s and that growing up she hadn’t thought of Wagga as a loyal rugby league town at all?

Surely the place I had once thought of as "the town of many excellent halfbacks" hadn’t turned away from rugby league? What would Peter Sterling and Steve Mortimer think if they returned to the town of their youth to find rugby league now struggling and AFL on the ascendancy?

To paraphrase an Australian band (that probably had no connection to Wagga at all), would these prodigal rugby league sons feel that “this is not the way home”[4]? Forty years later would they even recognise the sporting fabric of their hometown at all?

- - - - -
750 words in the word counter

References:
[1] http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wagga_Wagga
[2] http://www.wagga.nsw.gov.au/www/html/493-inductees.asp
[3] http://www.rulesclubwagga.com/
[4] http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w8bWgCeHpsU

Hutty1986

Immortal
[FONT=&quot]Hutty1986 charges back into the fray after a four-year absence from the game...[/FONT]​

[FONT=&quot]Australia V New Zealand: You beauty![/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]
[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]It’s not very often I get excited about international Rugby League. [/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]The 2008 World Cup final (and Billy Slater’s famous brain-snap) aside, the Kangaroos have been the definition of dominance for as long as I can remember.
[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]
[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Sure, those pesky New Zealanders have inflicted the odd defeat, but when push came to shove, the Aussies always stepped it up a notch and hopped away to victory. [/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]This Saturday night could mark the start of a genuine rivalry. Not a rivalry where one of the sides wins once every few seasons, or as the record books state; 87 matches compared to 28.[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]
[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]There’s a fellow named Roy Asotasi who wasn’t good enough to crack the Kiwi side- you may have heard of him, he’s a big strong unit with tattoos and a penchant for strong runs and stinging defence. That alone was enough for me to realise the men in black and white had truly turned the corner and were going to come out all guns blazing in this Four Nations tournament. [/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]
[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]There are plenty that point to what happened last weekend at Eden Park and I’m the first to admit the home side were ambushed from the kick-off and humbled on their own turf. But when that whistle blows at Suncorp Stadium, that result will only steel the visitors into action. As a staunch and passionate Aussie, the 34-20 win gave me confidence but I truly cannot predict who will reign supreme in Brisbane.[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]
[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]How good is that![/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]
[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]I’ve lost count of the number of games I’ve watched where the Roos’ have been matched in the opening 20, only to see their opposition crumble as the class of Lockyer, Johns, Fittler and company came to the fore. The class players are still there for Australia, despite the withdrawals of stars like Inglis, Hodges and Thurston and it will take a monumental effort for the NZ’ers to spark a similar upset to 08,’ that I know for sure.[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]
[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]What I cannot predict is how well the Aussies can contain Benji ‘flick king’ Marshall, how they can keep Shaun ‘where did this bloke come from” Kenny-Dowall quiet and how they can blunt the dummy-half damage of Isaac ‘gun show’ Luke.[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]
[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Another interesting element of this showdown is the great Darren Lockyer. Despite claiming otherwise, the Aussie and Queensland captain will almost certainly bidding a fond farewell to the home fans this weekend. It wouldn’t be a bad way to bow out should the Roos win; another trophy to go in his crowded pool room, the satisfaction of beating one of the best Kiwi sides in recent memory and a memorable ovation from the adoring Brissy fans.
[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]
[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Lockyer says he may play on in the rep arena, but I personally wouldn’t be surprised if the champion play-maker called it a day should the Aussies get the job done. [/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]It’s certainly an intriguing side-note, though to be honest, I’m more interested in the fireworks set to erupt.[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]
[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]With two big sets of aggressive forwards, there will be plenty of those and the fans in attendance should be looking forward to an almighty clash in the engine room.[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Big Petero’s absence in the starting line-up might hurt the Aussies, but the opportunity is there for Matt Scott to prove he can take on[/FONT][FONT=&quot] Civoniceva’s responsibilities into the future.[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]
[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]Australia enters the match as short-priced favourites to once again trump their rivals from across the ditch.[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]This may be the case and you know what, chances are the mighty Kangaroos will probably win and go on their merry way.[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Journalists and fans alike though, should simply rejoice in the fact that New Zealand are truly willing and able to push the green-and-golds to the limit. [/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]
[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]NZ have smart halves, devastating forwards and a coach who simply does not tolerate mediocrity.[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Papua New Guinea may be glorified park footballers and England are about as useful as an ashtray on a motorbike, but after a largely unspectacular few weeks, the Four Nations will have the finale it deserves.[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]
[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Beer in hand, I will be cheering on both the Kangaroos and the great game of Rugby League as the boom, crash and bang reverberates around the country.[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]
[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]I urge anyone who can do so to get to Suncorp, because it is shaping as a sensational game of football.[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]
[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]I may not get excited about international Rugby League very often, but I’m certainly excited about this one.

(743 words on the Word Counter)
[/FONT]

Last edited:

Titanic

First Grade
flag_PNG_1.gif

Titanic for PNG ... nau ol manki u save, mi raitim dispela stori bipo na mi les long wanpela man no meri mekim poisen long dispela tok gumi. Sapos mi painin wanpela paniman olsem mi laik sutin as bilong em. (749 OWC)

images

P
lenti No Gut

There can be no doubt that fighting is inherent in the culture of Papua New Guinea. One doesn’t have to look too hard at any portion of this volatile country’s history to find ample evidence to support this most primal of urges.

From the colonial perspective, it was once considered quaint to become immersed in the Somerset Maughan-esque lifestyle of the tropics, complete with emerald waters, jungled peaks, golden sands and dusky maidens. Add to that the allure of gold and the exotic menace of primitive headhunters, all with a backdrop of active volcanoes, hidden valleys and over seven hundred different dialects, setting the scene for an adventure novel… perhaps a paradise vanquished.

The irony of that phrase would not be lost on anyone who knows this potentially explosive Land of the Unexpected, but I digress. Whether it’s in legendary feats on the Kokoda Trail or the bar room tales of ‘in their cups’ heroes, the essence of PNG can only truly be depicted by a mosaic of battlefields and rugby league holds the pride of place.

On-field and off-field tragedies have marred the development of rugby league in PNG since those heady days when a well-intentioned but largely misguided Gough Whitlam handed the nation’s reigns over to a starry-eyed Michael Somare. Rugby league followed suit and the die was cast for the great game to disintegrate into tribalism.

Much has been written of PNG’s national obsession with the greatest game of all. Debates rage every time the Kumuls take the field, over their inability to excel given their indisputable toughness and passion for the sport. However, these very traits are what genius the country’s climb up the ladder towards professionalism.

Every village has a Marcus Bai or two or even three but how can they escape the web of nepotism that binds them?

Papua New Guineans are a people under siege, and the aggressors are themselves. In simplistic argument, the ultra-competitive nature of the PNG rugby league players is their downfall. Their need to win, their desire to compete and the inevitable disappointment for the statistical 50% who are losers, combines to defeat their enthusiasm. Rugby league is a game built around pressure and developing a controlled response to it. The average Papua New Guinean is ill-equipped to deal with that.

The pain and repercussions of defeat are as fickle as they are deadly. Today’s heroes are tomorrow’s villains… just ask Adrian Lam.

From their earliest days, they fight. They subsist yet they must fight for their existence, they fight for recognition and they fight for life. Winners reap the rewards while losers wallow in the mire envy. Tribe against tribe, clan against clan… the battle lines are often indistinct but the depth of feeling is formidable.

Rugby league fans judge success by the result of game, however, the support mechanisms cannot be ignored. No player has ever reached the heights of stardom without the requisite preparation. No team has ever won a premiership without a functioning administration. These are inarguable givens, so why should anybody expect Papua New Guinea, the land of fragmented loyalties and insular politics to excel?

In any competition there can only be one winner, leaving the majority to stare defeat in the face. In PNG this doesn’t mean ‘get off the floor and try again next season’, it means you are an abject failure and must be replaced.

The Kumuls are beaten by their internal system before they kick a ball in anger. Nepotism and the invariable "wantok" influence rear their heads and it's ‘game over’. The successful Kumul sides coached by Barry Wilson (late 1980's) and John Wagambie (early 1990's) were built around a nucleus of players who were allowed to stay together, until they lost and the ferocious local media pulled them apart.

Those teams didn't have NRL players, ESL players or returning overseas PNG players but were developed with care and due diligence by coaching staff who were able to get on with the job until their limited success irrationally inflated public expectations. Very sadly, the great names of PNG league, many of whom have gone on to successful careers, are now lost to the sport while another generation of power-hungry administrators fight over the bones in court.

Many fans would like a PNG NRL presence but the Bid Team’s longevity is precarious. Lam, Meninga, Kramer and Philemon have gone and the cynics have written them off already.

The jury awaits… a gritty fight or paradise lost?

Willow

Assistant Moderator
Willow | Kumuls
flag_PNG_1.gif

Uncle Arthur

In 2009, Arthur passed away in a Coffs Harbour nursing home. A former Vietnam veteran, he slipped away after losing the lottery of life. He was in his 60s, only 10 years older than me.

We were close. It has taken me a while to come to terms with it.

On my last visit to Coffs, he was on the front foot and typical Arthur when he said, "have you heard? I've got cancer!"

"You should have that seen to," I replied. To which he laughed for as long as his body would allow.

When everyone left, he asked if I had any "wheels". He wanted me to take him to "Russell Crowe's pub". He was pretty crook and had trouble walking.

The nurses said no but he insisted.

"Alright, just make sure he takes one of these before five o'clock." The nurse handed be a plastic bag with two pills.

At first, none of this seemed appropriate. But Arthur was dying. For months now the doctors said he had less than a few weeks to live. So in the latter stages of life, the rules of propriety seem less important.

Born in Sydney in 1949, Arthur was a South Sydney supporter. He was my mother's brother and was brought up in what was then the family home in East Hills.

In the 1960s, he actually volunteered to join the Army, he was too young so the recruitment office in York Street sent him back home. He argued with his mother to sign the form. Incredibly, she eventually relented and let her son go.

Arthur's little brother Ross was a mad Canterbury supporter. I say 'little' with reflective notions. Ross was by no means little and he passed away from related illnesses some 15 years ago. He was the youngest of the siblings and the first to go.

I remember their rooms in East Hills. Ross's clippings of Canterbury players above his bed - a young Chris Anderson scoring a try for the Berries. Down the hall was Arthur's room, with clippings of South Sydney players. His favourite was Ron Coote.

The oldest brother in the family was Brian. He died in hospital just five years ago. Their father John was already long gone, having passed away in the 1950s. Their mother Mary was laid to rest the 1980s. So Arthur and my mother were the last in their family.

Arthur and I walked slowly down the hall of the nurses home. He made some crass joke about a statue of Saint Mary - better left unsaid. It was a catholic run establishment and Arthur was an atheist. He kept laughing at the irony of it all.

I drove us from the boredom of the home and towards the pub, where a wall adorned with posters of Souths greeted us. Arthur again insisted that the pub belonged to Russell Crowe. I don't even know if this is true. But the Hollywood actor and Rabbitohs' owner/supporter was a local of sorts - apparently he got into strife there years earlier. In any case, Arthur reckoned Russell was a top bloke... and that was good enough for me.

We had a beer, played the pokies and talked football. I picked his brain for anecdotes about his life, and he was happy to share them with me.

My wife and sons met us there later and we all had a meal together. Arthur was struggling and it was difficult for him, but I know he loved every second of it. I took him back to the nursing home afterwards, and we watched the sun go down in the carpark. Arthur was not prone to sentiment, but on this day he wanted to see the sunset.

"Check this out mate. What a beaut sight."

Apart from goodbyes, those were the last words we had. I got the call a few days later, Arthur finally nodded off for the last time. It was expected but still a shock. His daughter, my cousin, was with him. She let me know that he mentioned our trip to the pub. He joked about the last time he was allowed out for drink. That was the hardest part - still a little difficult now.

My mother said she was alone. Of course we rallied as a family, bringing in the extended clan of children, grandchildren, nieces and nephews to let her know that she is not alone. There were more of us then ever.

| 744 words |

Titanic

First Grade
Thanks Hutty1986 and congrats on your debut ... excellent piece.
PNG gang... back to the Kokoda Motel up at Sogeri for some SP, tolai mumu with crocodile steaks and a lik lik spa at Crystal Rapids featuring some of those hot Koiari meris.

Just a quick mention, since the banter revolved around Great Britain competing in this game, I've ignored it.

Great Britain Lions - 83

Hutty1986 - 83
First of all, welcome back to the game (from just a second-year veteran). This article is a nice re-count of the recent history of the Trans-Tasman rivalry, plus a bit regarding the unpredictability of the game I just watched (ahh the timing). Hope you enjoyed it.

Papua New Guinea Kumuls - 259

bartman - 87
An interesting piece, very well combined with personal perspective and local history.

Titanic - 88
We definitely think alike on these issues. I am a fan of the side, and I cannot wait until success comes their way.

Willow - 84
I did like this article, don't get me wrong, but I feel there could've been more Rugby League mentioned, such as some of the anecdotes. I would've liked to see what could've been said. It's left me intrigued, wondering about the stories.

Titanic

First Grade
Ok team ... off to the Finals against the bros.
Bad luck Lions and Merry Christmas.

Thanks NT ... once again you managed to get the results up while I was still sober enough to read them.