What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Rnd 4 Raiders vs Tigers

vookie

Juniors
The way we are playing at the moment your boys will lap us. Plus we have a peaheart for a halfback

Cryptic

Juniors
Not sure what the possible lineup will be... Furguson did OK at FB and I guess if Robinson is back we may be safer going that way than....

Campese did a lot of defence today but stuggled when he was playing out in the centres (defensivly) maybe we could put him at lock and bring up someone else to cover half with McCrone going to 5/8? Our half in the Toyota cup looked the goods and how has Williams being going in the NSW cup?

canberra_raiders2k2

First Grade
I don't think changing the halves is the right thing to do. Chopping and changing never works. Stick it out with who we have. We have the talent, just need a few things to work our way ie injuries.

Not sure what the possible lineup will be... Furguson did OK at FB and I guess if Robinson is back we may be safer going that way than....

Campese did a lot of defence today but stuggled when he was playing out in the centres (defensivly) maybe we could put him at lock and bring up someone else to cover half with McCrone going to 5/8? Our half in the Toyota cup looked the goods and how has Williams being going in the NSW cup?

Sammy has been playing well in the 2 rounds they have played , played a big hand in their win last week , Mounties had the bye this week.

Id have Fergo or Wighton at the back this week ( assuming Duges is out ) and bring in Pelo on the wing if RR is still sidelined.

Picker for Fensom? Picker also has been playing well. Id be very reluctant to move Campo, Id have Sammy and Campo in the halves if anything. McCrone bench with maybe Waddell or Butts dropping out of the squad.

I dont think we need to panic , we played well in the 2 rounds prior , I dont think any team could over come the 2 players we lost in the 1st 20min , then another after 40 min, although the game was there to be won despite how bad we were.

1 Wighton
2.Fergo
3.Croker
4.Berro
5.Pelo
6.Campo
7.Williams
13.Picker
12.Harrison
11.Papalii
10.Shillo
9.Butts
8.White

14.McCrone
15.JT
16. Mataora
17. TLL

Duges , Fensom ,Tilse , RR , Thurling all unavailable

Did I leave anyone out?

Bay56

First Grade
We've won 1 from 3 .. keep that up and we'll have 9 wins by seasons end ... I'm sure the excuse machine will say that's a 50% improvement on last season and they'll be satisfied ... I'll be lamenting another wasted season, followed by an Independent Review that will result in the tea lady being sacked.

Two points from this game are an absolute must ... points are what gets you into the finals ... you get none for a loss ... take a teaspoon of cement, stuff some clay up your areshole and harden up Raiders.

Why do I see Benji making fools of us ?

Bay56

First Grade
We've won 1 from 3 .. keep that up and we'll have 9 wins by seasons end ... I'm sure the excuse machine will say that's a 50% improvement on last season and they'll be satisfied ... I'll be lamenting another wasted season, followed by an Independent Review that will result in the tea lady being sacked.

Two points from this game are an absolute must ... points are what gets you into the finals ... you get none for a loss ... take a teaspoon of cement, stuff some clay up your areshole and harden up Raiders.

Why do I see Benji making fools of us ?

Dazraider

Juniors
Thompson should be replacing Croker in the backs as Crokers defence is woeful and Marshall will carve us up on that side.
Looks like they need to bring in new blood again with the injuries and hope Boyd gets a run as well. Even have McILLwrick come in as our hooker and Have Hodge as the fullback.
We don't have any attacking options now and need new young guys that are keen to cement a spot in first grade to try and get us back to an attacking side.

shear_joy9

Coach
why the f**k won't campese run with the ball? He's the 5-8 for f**k's sake, take on the line.

waddell should be dumped, not to mounties but out of the club completely. The guy is complete garbage and always has been. Let Buttriss play the 80.

Bring in kennedy for fensom and bring in nicholls on the bench. Harrisson needs a good slap around as he went back to his lethargic best again today.

On another note, Shannon Boyd needs to be promoted to mounties asap. Why he is still mucking around in the 20's I have no idea. The guy won't improve until he's playing against men.

aussies1st

Staff member
I don't know about JT back at centre, the passing issue and his defense are still a problem there. When the Roosters were carving us I believe it was down his side.

shear_joy9

Coach
wouldn't pick thurling even if he was healthy. The guy has barely broken a tackle since 2010 and this year seems to have as much impact as a wet towel.

aussies1st

Staff member
The Canberra Raiders have been forced to make a raft of changes for their round four clash against the Wests Tigers, with injuries forcing a number of player and positional moves.

Dimitri Pelo will get his first opportunity to run out for the club in an NRL match after he was named on the wing, with Blake Ferguson shifting back to fullback to cover for the injured Josh Dugan who will miss the next six weeks.

Injury to Shaun Fensom has forced a change in the backrow with Josh Papalii moving to lock, while Joel Thompson will start for the first time in 2012 as he comes into the starting team in the second row.

Raiders forward Trevor Thurling has also been ruled out of action for two weeks with a knee injury and he’ll have minor surgery tomorrow to repair some cartilage damage.

Thurling’s omission from the bench and Thompson’s promotion will see Joe Picker and Sam Mataora move onto the interchange bench, while young forward Jarrad Kennedy will be 18th man.

Raiders Coach David Furner said the inclusion of Pelo on the wing and Ferguson to fullback wouldn’t disrupt the team too much, while Joel Thompson would bring some aggression to the starting team.

“Dimitri has plenty of top grade experience through his super league time with Catalans and Fergo showed last week that he can handle the fullback role in Josh’s absence,” Furner said. “Joel starting the game gives us another option starting in the back row and he’s a player who can bring that aggression early on.”

To view the NRL team for this weekend click here

To view the NYC team for this weekend click here

| TEAM NEWS |

Josh Dugan, Shaun Fensom and Trevor Thurling are out, Blake Ferguson will play fullback, Joel Thompson starts in the second row and Dimitri Pelo is the new face on the wing.

Josh Papalii moves to lock, with Joe Picker, Sam Mataora and Jarrad Kennedy added to the bench that also features Travis Waddell and Tom Learoyd-Lahrs. Glenn Buttriss will start at hooker.

What do you think of the Raiders lineup for this week? Let us know in the comments below.

| RAIDERS ROUND 4 |

1. Blake FERGUSON
2. Dimitri PELO
3. Jarrod CROKER
4. Shaun BERRIGAN
5. Jack WIGHTON
6. Terry CAMPESE (c)
7. Josh McCRONE
8. David SHILLINGTON (vc)
9. Glen BUTTRISS
10. Brett WHITE (vc)
11. Joel THOMPSON
12. Bronson HARRISON
13. Josh PAPALII
Bench:
14. Travis WADDELL
15. Joe PICKER
16. Sam MATAORA
17. Tom LEAROYD-LAHRS
18. Jarrad KENNEDY
Coach: David Furner

| NRL INJURIES |
Josh DUGAN (Shoulder) Rd 10
Shaun FENSOM (Bicep) Rd 10-12
Trevor THURLING (Knee) Rd 6
Dane TILSE (Ribs) Rd 7
Reece ROBINSON (Cheekbone) Rd 6

http://www.raiders.com.au/default.a...itle=raiders-nrl-team-list---round-4-v-tigers

supera

Juniors
the more injuries we get, the more we stay the same.

he's our best kicker, he's the best we have out of dummy half, he's a good defender, Sam Williams showed enough last year to suggest he should be getting opportunities, and Josh McCrone showed he's a number 6.

necessity is the mother of invention, and it has become clear to me this year that Terry Campese should be playing hooker. if Berrigan is too old/too sloppy in defence to be playing hooker, we need to look elsewhere.

we have this monster forward pack who do less than nothing (ie. make 25 metres on 5 tackles) because they get absolutely rubbish ball.

even if Sam Williams isn't the option, i don't know why Dugan isn't being geared towards five-eighth. i know he's probably the Origin full back if he's fit (he'll have to fight off stewart), but coming off the long run from full back is just causing too many injuries. and lets be honest, as the last line of defence, he has been known to resemble a turnstyle on occasion.

i went to a couple of Toyota Cup games last year for the express purpose of watching Massey. i like ferguson, but he serves us best on the wing. there's no reason at all that Massey shouldn't be playing full back this week and give him the next 6 weeks there. if he's not ready, i guess we drop him in three weeks.

the problem we have is that we have absolutely no depth, and there are too many people who are either safe in their spots or have been pigeon holed in their spots.

i do like papali at lock. he works all day long, and i can't see any reason that he shouldn't be succesful there.

for me the side for the next couple of weeks should look like:

1. Massey
2. Ferguson
3. Croker (he's on a short leash though, he's ordinary in defence)
4. Berrigan (also the back up hooker)
5. Wighton
6. McCrone
7. Williams
8. Shillington
9. Campese
10. White
11. Thompson/Mataora
12. Harrison
13. Papali

14. TLL
15. Thurling/J Picker
16. Thompson/Mataora
17. M Picker (provides some flexibility, and worked like a dog in the game he played last season)

it won't happen, but i'm so sick of watching the same guys fail to penetrate opposition. the dropped ball wasn't the issue for me on Sunday, it was the complete inability to move the ball down field when we had the ball in hand. so put the ball in the hands of different guys!

I would have liked to have seen Wighton at fullback as I think we need that ball player type back there , but Fergo has looked safe under the high ball this year.

Looking forward to seeing what Pelo can do in FG

shear_joy9

Coach
I'd put wighton in the centres. The guy has one hell of a tackling technique so the more involved he is the better. He's also shown in the 20's how skilful he is with the ball.

aussies1st

Staff member
Raiders flyer Reece Robinson says he wants a shot at fullback in Josh Dugan's absence and coach David Furner hasn't completely ruled out giving him the job against the Wests Tigers next Monday night.

Blake Ferguson was yesterday named at fullback to replace Dugan, who will miss up to six weeks with a shoulder injury. But Robinson, who yesterday signed a two-year contract extension with Canberra, will visit his surgeon today and is expected to be given the all-clear to resume full training after recovering from a fractured cheeckbone.

Robinson had a superb pre-season and was being groomed as a fullback replacement if Dugan was unavailable during 2012 because of injury or representative football. But Furner and Robinson said his return was more likely to come against the Cowboys in round five.
Advertisement: Story continues below

"I wouldn't mind throwing my hand up for [fullback] when I get back, it gives you a bit more opportunity with the ball in hand," Robinson said.

Robinson has been sharing his injury frustration with his cousin, Souths fullback Nathan Merritt, who is out with a toe injury after a three-try performance for the Indigenous All Stars.

"My cousin's injured at the moment so he's been frustrated himself, he hasn't played a game himself this year yet," Robinson said. "At the start it gets you a bit down after having a big pre-season, but I'm looking forward to getting back into it."

http://www.smh.com.au/rugby-league/...keen-to-try-on-no1-jersey-20120321-1vilq.html

Latest posts