What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Roach Jnr to join Sharks

philstorm

Juniors
Hate to give a 'rumour' without a source, but I just heard this on the radio.

Seems like the Sharks have picked up a promising prop! Gee, they've got a talented forward line developing.

langpark

First Grade
it's true, the story is now of Fox sports website.

Don't call him talented and promising if you haven't yet seen him play.

LeagueNut

First Grade
http://www.foxsports.com.au/story/0,8659,21338114-23214,00.html

Blocker junior quits union

DANIEL Roach - the son of league legend Steve "Blocker" Roach - has turned his back on rugby union, walking out on New South Wales to link with the Sharks.

The talented young prop will now follow in his famous father's steps, carving out a career in rugby league.

The former Australian Schoolboys union star knocked back an offer from his father's Wests Tigers for a chance to play under Australia coach Ricky Stuart at the Sharks.

Roach is expected to begin training with the Sharks on Friday, on a one-year deal, after officially requesting a release from the NSW Rugby Union last week.

The teenager's switch is sure to leave the Waratahs red-faced, with the emerging forward considered by many astute judges to be a future Australia prop.

Roach is understood to have grown disillusioned with rugby after rarely playing in his year with the Waratahs.

"I am excited about the opportunity," Roach said of his switch.

"I haven't been given any guarantees but I have the opportunity to prove myself with the Sharks and rugby league.

"I will give it my best.

"It is obviously great to get the chance to play under the Australian coach and be included in the fulltime squad. I am looking forward to it."

Proud father Steve said he was excited about his son leaving union to pursue a career in rugby league.

"I have always wanted him to play rugby league but I have left that decision to him," Roach said.

"Of course I am glad that he will now be playing rugby league. That's the way I always wanted him to go.

"I didn't want to say anything when he was playing union because I just wanted to support him, but I am rapt now he is in league.

"He is a young bloke and he was the one that wanted to play league. He wants to run with the ball and tackle people. I couldn't be any happier."

After playing 181 games for the Tigers, Roach said there were no hard feelings with Daniel opting to join the Sharks.

"Ricky is an old mate, and it is a great opportunity for (Daniel)," Roach, who represented Australia on 18 occasions, said.

"The Sharks are a good club and I can't wait to see how he goes. He is a committed kid and he wants to do it on his own."

The Roach camp was reticent to talk about why Daniel quit the Waratahs but the 114kg wrecking ball was not playing regularly with the NSW Academy A side, which plays only 10 games a year.

Stuart said Daniel reminded him of a young Blocker.

"He is a big young kid and he has the build of his father," Stuart said.

"He is tall and has the build of a rugby league player.

"We were more than happy to offer him the chance to play rugby league.

"He has a lot of talent and will start off in Jersey Flegg, and hopefully develop from there.

"He has an opportunity here, and it is up to him to make the most of it."

Roach is expected to play with the Sharks' under-20 side next week.

0,,5409066,00.jpg

Good lad.

Mr Saab

Referee
What happened to this code?
2003 world cup is held in Oz and they talk the talk about how there game with grow big time....it has grown as much as Gary Coleman....or maybe Webster

simon says

First Grade
Man...Im over Tigers legends kids playing for other teams...

First Pearce junior now Blocker junior too boot.

Ouch!!!

kooriguy

Juniors
Inferno said:
If he's anything like his old man, he should be great.

if he is anything like his old man he will be a fat sh*t and too slow for the modern game :p roach snr was a great forward in his day but his style would not suit the modern game.

smeghead

Bench
We have one of the sons. That will have to do.

And quite frankly out of all the Tigers legends we have the one who is worth holding onto in the shape of Rhys Jack

Stagger eel

Staff member
speaking of sons of former players...for some reason our club are chock full of them right down to Harold Mathews, Eric Grothe Junior, Joel Reddy, Brett Finch, Jarryd Hayne, Tim wynn and Justin Horo are the more notable ones.

Simo

First Grade
kooriguy said:
if he is anything like his old man he will be a fat sh*t and too slow for the modern game :p roach snr was a great forward in his day but his style would not suit the modern game.

Beat me to it....

gunnamatta bay

Referee
kooriguy said:

Thats the age old question. How would 'greats' like Raper, Coote and Beetson handle the modern game? IMO no worries. They had the football brain and the physical attributes so why not?

simon says

First Grade
gunnamatta bay said:
Thats the age old question. How would 'greats' like Raper, Coote and Beetson handle the modern game? IMO no worries. They had the football brain and the physical attributes so why not?

Exactly........I was gonna say something like that but I couldnt be bothered responding to such a stupid comment with some thought.

Thanks.

Simo

First Grade
gunnamatta bay said:

Do you think Roach has such a brain and physicaly attributes? No to make a slanging match about Blocker because in his time he was great and have personally met him and is a funny bloke but he is one style of player that in my opinion would not make it in todays game. The slower pace and 5m rule were to his advantage.

Some older players would adapt to the modern game and some current players could adapt to the older game.....but not all and I dont think Blocker is suited to the modern game at all (although I dont know anything about the playing style of Blocker Jnr who this is all about).

Latest posts