What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Robbed!

Sydney_Raider

Juniors
Very ordinary performance but in saying that we are without the likes of Carney, TLL, Weyman and Graham at the moment. I was a bit perpelexed with the make up of the bench. I don't know if Henry had doubts about Chalk getting through the 80 mins but Cross on the bench was a bit strange. Cross impresses me and I think we should retain him and Best in the centres for the time being, Chalk to the bench or PL. Another thing that worries me is Zillman's lack of involvement in some matches. For me Goodwin to fullback and Zillman to half back would be a worthwhile experiment (assuming Carney is not considered), with Kelly coming on to the wing. Our lack of size at the back is a concern. Like many others I am not convinced about Dobson. One other change would be Thurling for Plum. Surely he can't be far off getting a start.

Very dirty about the Tounge no try - I have Toungie in my Fantasy team - instead of geting points for the try he gets points taken away for the knock on :x

Benifit of the doubt at the very least.

Chachi

Bench
dubby said:
I was ropable during that game. Hayne played to the crowd, and how Clarke awarded no try I'll never know.

Newcastle also proved to me they will struggle against good sides. They only competed due to a pathetic ref and the fact our boys gave a very dormant display. I think their halves played well but put them into a tough game at Olympic park, Dairy Farmers or Leichardt and see how good they are.

Having said that, our boys need to lift mentally and find some form away from the ACT. Dobbo was hopeless and Bronx needs to be dropped immediately. Since the Manly game he has developed a knack of rushing in off the wing and leaving a huge gap. Newcastle realised this and exploited him.

If he was Howell, we would be calling for his head.
I was thinking the exact same thought this morning. I still can't believe that play the ball penalty and poor old Goodwin was caught horribly out of position all night (as was Milne on some occasions). Thankfully a lot of their long kicks went dead or into touch otherwise it could have been worse.

Chachi

Bench
Sydney_Raider said:
Very ordinary performance but in saying that we are without the likes of Carney, TLL, Weyman and Graham at the moment. I was a bit perpelexed with the make up of the bench. I don't know if Henry had doubts about Chalk getting through the 80 mins but Cross on the bench was a bit strange. Cross impresses me and I think we should retain him and Best in the centres for the time being, Chalk to the bench or PL. Another thing that worries me is Zillman's lack of involvement in some matches. For me Goodwin to fullback and Zillman to half back would be a worthwhile experiment (assuming Carney is not considered), with Kelly coming on to the wing. Our lack of size at the back is a concern. Like many others I am not convinced about Dobson. One other change would be Thurling for Plum. Surely he can't be far off getting a start.
Yeah, while I don't think that game warrants wholesale changes (after all we could quite easily have won with a fair share of luck) there is something to be said about missing those four players in particular - who at the start of the season were arguably our best half, backrower, prop and three-quarter respectively. That was just about the best side Newcastle could field and if we were anywhere near close to our best we could have really given it to them IMO.

As far as Thurling goes, I think we'd be better off replacing Miller rather than Plum (who I think has been quite good for us in the past 2 games).

Tokyo_Raider

Juniors
dubby said:
Dobbo was hopeless and Bronx needs to be dropped immediately. Since the Manly game he has developed a knack of rushing in off the wing and leaving a huge gap. Newcastle realised this and exploited him.

I can only assume that both wingers have been coached to do this. Viewed from the grandstand, they seem to try to form some kind of fish hook shape around the opposition line. I assume that they're trying to prevent passes to the opposition wing?

It works sometimes, but as you say - Newcastle twigged to it last night and we were killed by a kick in behind the play.

Backs are going to continue to be an issue for us this year. Graham coming back should help to a degree, but we are still short one or even two quality 3/4's.

On the halves - Dobbo is incredibly frustrating to me. He is so damn up and down it's beyond belief.

Sydney_Raider

Juniors
Question is will we ever see our best side on the park. Hopefully we can get close to it in the next couple of weeks with the return of Weyman, Carney, TLL and Graham. Several questions remain unanswered at this stage of the season IMO;

1. What will turn out to be our best back three?
2. What is our best halves combination?

My 2c worth 1. Goodwin - FB Wing Kelly and Graham & 2. Carney/Zillman.

I would love to see Zillman permanently around the ruck area.

dubby

Bench
Tokyo_Raider said:
I can only assume that both wingers have been coached to do this. Viewed from the grandstand, they seem to try to form some kind of fish hook shape around the opposition line. I assume that they're trying to prevent passes to the opposition wing?

It works sometimes, but as you say - Newcastle twigged to it last night and we were killed by a kick in behind the play.

Backs are going to continue to be an issue for us this year. Graham coming back should help to a degree, but we are still short one or even two quality 3/4's.

On the halves - Dobbo is incredibly frustrating to me. He is so damn up and down it's beyond belief.

Milne wasnt as obvious as Goodwin, in fact I havent seen him do the rush in yet. That doesnt mean much tho! :sarcasm:

Dobbo is a week by week player which like you say is very frustrating. He needs to take a page from TOngues book and lift every single week. He's not in the ESL now.

Macko8

Juniors
I dont think we are going to see Zillman in the halves anytime soon, unless campo and dobson are both out.

Leave him at fullback, the blokes first year in FG as a fullback, his going to be quiet some games and more involved in others, when his involved though,watch out!!

Id also be bringing Brett Kelly in for Goodwin.
And id expect carney to return to FG in roughly 2 weeks time, hopefully sooner

legend

Coach
Carney has done the time IMO and compared to the type of punishment the Dogs hand to their wayward players, Carney should be back in first grade this week as a matter of urgency.

Also, did Campese pick up a leg injury? He looked pedestrian at times last night.

dubby

Bench
I think you are right re: Campo. He was limping around alot.

Maybe henry will give Hinchey a run for a wounded Linc and TC for Campo? (if these guys are injured)

reptar

Juniors
I didn't think Zillman was all that quiet. He didn't get the ball much, but he was forever backing up for offloads from forwards. The conditions mean we didn't offload much (if at all).

Chachi

Bench
I thought he also made some great cover tackles - especially that one on Simpson at full steam.

but its the glaring mistakes that stands out , the lack of commitment to get to the ball , he (zilly) would of had to put his body on the line ( peronally i couldnt do it ) but its what fullbacks have to do sometimes the schif used to do it . Hopefully its a one off next time theres no indecision jump on the ball and get the possesion

reptar

Juniors
Yes, but mistakes don't equate to lack of involvement. Zilly would have learnt from that terrible mistake, and I'm sure he won't do it again (by choice). That's what I like about his game the most - he rarely makes the same mistake twice.

Brimmer

Juniors
Have to say though guys...

The second half was embarassing for us. Some of the errors we did was unforgivable. Good to see that we didn't open the floodgates though. Having a centre on our bench really didn't help the situation. I think Brad Cross looks the goods but he should either be in the run on side or playing PL.

green eyed mike

Juniors
I actually think there were some pretty good signs for us last night. There was a stint in the first half where we held them out for a few sets in a row and that kind of defence always has some effect on things. Dobson was pretty quiet but it's easy to forget that he has so little experience given that he looks about 40. He missed a few tackles last night and needs to work pretty hard on defence but his kicking game is pretty spot on.

Despite the fact that some decisions went against us we fought hard for 80 minutes and almost got away with it. That was the best team the Knights could put on the field and we were missing some key players so there is still plenty of improvement there for us.

I think inconsistency is part of having such a young team so instead of complaining that they can't win away, I'm happy that they are turning Bruce stadium into a bit of a fortress again, somewhere that teams are wary of playing. We have a lot of these guys signed up for next year and if we keep improving at the rate we have this year we will be serious contenders.

....And I would not liek to be the Cowboys at the moment!

Chachi

Bench
green eyed mike said:
I actually think there were some pretty good signs for us last night. There was a stint in the first half where we held them out for a few sets in a row and that kind of defence always has some effect on things. Dobson was pretty quiet but it's easy to forget that he has so little experience given that he looks about 40. He missed a few tackles last night and needs to work pretty hard on defence but his kicking game is pretty spot on.

Despite the fact that some decisions went against us we fought hard for 80 minutes and almost got away with it. That was the best team the Knights could put on the field and we were missing some key players so there is still plenty of improvement there for us.

I think inconsistency is part of having such a young team so instead of complaining that they can't win away, I'm happy that they are turning Bruce stadium into a bit of a fortress again, somewhere that teams are wary of playing. We have a lot of these guys signed up for next year and if we keep improving at the rate we have this year we will be serious contenders.

....And I would not liek to be the Cowboys at the moment!
G'day mike - pretty much agree with everything you say.

Timbo

Staff member
I'm wondering if we should sticky this thread seeing its now happened two weeks in a row.

What a pathetic joke of a display of refereeing. Twice in two weeks we've had ref's cost us a win.

Macko8

Juniors
Exactly.....its a f**king joke.

Im not going to sit here and point out individual performances, but im glad we have only signed dobbo for a year because at this stage i wouldnt keep him beyond that.

Latest posts