What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Robbed.

_snafu_

Immortal
Mate we were down 2 players and in the last 25 secs we only had 12 on the field, they were buggered. We were robbed and it's not a matter of opinion it is fact for all to see with no argument available to the contrary.

We lost that game with more than 25 seconds to go. They went the length of the field in the Cronk try. They made 60 to 70 metres per set of 6 too many times. They should never got close enough to win it.

Drop Bear

Juniors
:sarcasm: Watched NRL footage on twitter last night of the final try,
Clearly you hear the siren just before the play the ball!!
Then this morning my mate and I at work watched the NRL highlights
And guess what? To our amazement you can't here the siren?
Was it edited? :shock:

Morotti

Juniors
I was listening to triple m and the commentators were a little surprised that he had time to play the ball before the siren. I haven't seen replays but I suspect if we kept to the letter of the law then it shouldn't have been allowed to continue.

That said I don't think that the referees were brave enough to call time at that point in the game.

For me a great effort by the boys we were clearly down and out at the end of the game and for the last fifteen were simply hanging by a thread. I lost count of the amount of times we must have helf them just inches short of the line. I'm glad we are playing the warriors next week who suffered similar heartache.

But remember this means we can compete with the top teams. Sure Melbourne have been under performing but the fact we took it to them for a lot of the game, the Dragons of old wouldn't have needed to lose after the siren, we would have already been in the sheds lamenting another timid performance.

Lots of positives to take out of the game.

ek999

First Grade
I thought he was in the process of playing the ball when the siren sounded so it was play on

love my saints

Juniors
Quick question.... lets say the NRL finds that the play the ball occured after the siren... and say it shouldnt have been a try... what can be done???
I know we want them to overturn the result... but can they?? Is it at all possible for us to get the two points??? or are we just wasting our energy complaining about it???

hunters

Juniors
No complaints about disallowing Proctors fair try? Funny that. Guess it doesn't sit well with the whole 'refs knew who they wanted to win' conspiracy.

hunters

Juniors
Quick question.... lets say the NRL finds that the play the ball occured after the siren... and say it shouldnt have been a try... what can be done???
I know we want them to overturn the result... but can they?? Is it at all possible for us to get the two points??? or are we just wasting our energy complaining about it???

Lol......yeah keep complaining. They overturn results all the time.

ggould

Juniors
Let me just say first off I think we were dudded!!Wasn't the first time won't be the last!!! Here's the thing can anybody tell the mind set of a team that works so hard and plays so well to get to a 14 pt lead with 15 to go then lose!! Every man and his dog know that Melbourne now how far behind or how far in front they are they just keep coming at you!!! So until our team can find that resolve this will happen more often than not!! Also has any other team have more supossed hodoos??? Please!!

blacksafake

First Grade
No complaints about disallowing Proctors fair try? Funny that. Guess it doesn't sit well with the whole 'refs knew who they wanted to win' conspiracy.
Watch the replay,cronk passes before line & proctor catches after line.
Most of cronks short passes are forward anyway but he gets away with the majority.
Not to mention hinchcliffe being in front of slaters kick for chambers try

gypsy

Bench
Watch the replay,cronk passes before line & proctor catches after line.
Most of cronks short passes are forward anyway but he gets away with the majority.
Not to mention hinchcliffe being in front of slaters kick for chambers try

Wrong. Using lines as reference is incorrect, hence why video refs can't rule on forward passes. If it was that easy, a line could be digitally overlayed from where the ball was passed, and the video ref could rule on them.

It's incorrect though, as it's all about if the pass is forward out of the hands. Fox showed a great side on shot which showed it was clearly back out of Cronks hands, and therefore a clear try under the current rules.

TheRev

First Grade
We still had plenty of time to shut the last movement down... im not dirty on the ref as much as I am that our side couldnt make a few better options to close out the game on their terms.

dwight12

Juniors
Wrong. Using lines as reference is incorrect, hence why video refs can't rule on forward passes. If it was that easy, a line could be digitally overlayed from where the ball was passed, and the video ref could rule on them.

It's incorrect though, as it's all about if the pass is forward out of the hands. Fox showed a great side on shot which showed it was clearly back out of Cronks hands, and therefore a clear try under the current rules.

As much as I agree the disallowed try could have been given under the current rules, I will add that I actually hate the current rules. I think that this backwards out of the hands is rubbish. The person who catches the ball should have to be behind the passer when he receives it. I dont care if it is windy and the ball floats forward, it should be a simple rule in which over the years we have over complicated.

Willow

Assistant Moderator
While I agree that the game was there to be won and lost, and we found a way to lose it, there is no avoiding the fact that a refereeing error occurred in the final seconds and this cost us the game.

Three pictures:

1. Player is tackled when the 80 mins is up on the clock (siren hasn't sounded):
MelbvSaints_14Apr14_80mins_1.jpg

Larger image: http://showroom.com.au/dragons/2014/images/MelbvSaints_14Apr14_80mins.jpg

2. Player gets up and the siren has sounded, he hasn't played the ball so that is full time according to the laws of the game:
MelbvSaints_14Apr14_80mins_02-siren_1.jpg

Larger image: http://showroom.com.au/dragons/2014/images/MelbvSaints_14Apr14_80mins_02-siren.jpg

3. It's play on, but interesting to note that at least two Storm players virtually give themselves up, including their captain who is looking towards the referee:
MelbvSaints_14Apr14_80mins_03_1.jpg

Larger image: http://showroom.com.au/dragons/2014/images/MelbvSaints_14Apr14_80mins_03.jpg

When referees make errors during the game, the opposing sides still have time to make up for it and come back (if they are good enough). But in this instance, there was no coming back, the error cost us the match and the 2 competition points.

Last edited:

Blood Shot Eyes

First Grade
We still had plenty of time to shut the last movement down... im not dirty on the ref as much as I am that our side couldnt make a few better options to close out the game on their terms.

I sort of agree to a point..... although it doesn't matter how much you dissect the dying seconds of EXTRA TIME that Melbourne had even if we had 26 players on the field...you cant beat old fashion arse and imo their last try was simply that, Arse....pure and simple

dragonreddy

Juniors

You are right ,there is no question the guys put in a big effort but a lot of people on here are glossing over the fact that we led by 14 points we shouldve been able to defend that .WE should never have let the game get to the point where it was decided at the death,the game is such now if you drop a little bit of intensity you will probably lose and thats what we did,its not much good scoring more points than last year if we cant defend them.

Willow

Assistant Moderator
i am not deaf yet . siren had sounded , and i am not blind either. last pass was forward. .
You're absolutely correct. I can understand the ref missing a forward pass, but to not hear the siren before the play-the-ball is schooboy stuff. At the very least the referees should be suspended.

Edit: Referees: Matt Cecchin, Grant Atkins.

Last edited:

Blood Shot Eyes

First Grade
You are right ,there is no question the guys put in a big effort but a lot of people on here are glossing over the fact that we led by 14 points we shouldve been able to defend that .WE should never have let the game get to the point where it was decided at the death,the game is such now if you drop a little bit of intensity you will probably lose and thats what we did,its not much good scoring more points than last year if we cant defend them.

I quote you and I agree.......,the game is such now if you drop a little bit of intensity you will probably lose and thats what we did,its not much good scoring more points than last year if we cant defend them.

I know we lost both right side centres and that bloody hurt....but at 24 to 10 we needed to lift our intensity even if it was say just 10% because like Brisbane they will come back at you no matter what the situation

Latest posts