What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Robbie O'davis

Johns Magic

Referee
northey said:
Without Johns, like it or not, we cannot win a premiership.

that is bulls**t...
we could have won this year if all our players were not injured..... and that team would not have johns on it.... it gives me the s**ts when people say that we can not win with out johns..... so you are saying that once johns leaves after season 2006 we will never win a gread final again???? johns is just a player he is no where as good as he used to be.
next season it would be good to see him not be captian and let danny be captian....
johns will proberly be hurt and miss the season again.....

Northey, you have to realise that Robbie is past it

i dunno if we have been watching the same games but robbie is not past it.... he gets out there runs around and usally does a better job than the other players...

robie was outstanding last night.

He is very injury prone- moreso than Johns

you are wrong..... one wrong tackle and johns if gone.... he has a stuffed back and neck and like seage he will never be as good as he was because he did his ACL.
with a buldging disc, if you cop one bad hit you run the risk of being seriously injured. and johns knows this so he is going to go into the few games he plays being cautious of his injuries. take quinn for example. he is all was getting back knocks to the head. now when he tries to protect his head he gets seriously injured. remember the roosters game? he was worried about his head and bang he cops a foot to the face and has a fractured cheek bone...

I don't know how you can refer to O'Davis as "a real superstar" and then bad-mouth Johns

listen johns was a fantastic player. but what gest me is that everyone seems to be in love with him and he has done jack all in the last 3 seasons. people say that the only reason newi has so many supporters is because of johns.. well sometimes i wonder if that is true.. and sometimes it seems that way. johns will always be remembered as one of the stars of the club. but there are some people out there who get so defensive when a bad thing is said about johns.... it is creepy

What you just said was from your heart, and as they say, when it comes to serious matters, think with your head, not you heart. It would be nice to keep Robbie, but really, it would just be plain dumb.

you wanna know what is plain dumb??? giving johns all this money and he hasn't played in so long. and people think that come season 2005 johns will be better than ever

Look, we'll just have to agree to disagree on this one. I just don't think we should waste our last 8k on a 3rd-choice fullback.

That's just my opinion, and I respect yours.

Alex28

Coach
This post has turned into a bigger joke than it started. Andrew Johns is 29 - he is 3 years younger than O'Davis is. You cant compare the 2 players - Johns is a key signing because to put it bluntly this year has proven we dont have a player in the guys calibre. Kidley is not in the same class, Witt is not an NRL player, let alone fit to wear the 7 jersey. We dont have a replacement for the guy. I agree with the reply on this post - at this stage we dont have the talent in the club to win a premiership without Johns.

We have a replacement for O'Davis - in fact we have a number of options. Seage, Salkeld, even Kidley at a pinch.

To the people who want to keep him - how long do you keep giving him "one more year"? He is not a game breaker - he has not been able to turn around this season. He is slow, he cant make a break, his defence is not what it once was.

Should he even be playing? Would he be playing now if he didnt have a cash bonus hanging over his head? Is putting your own interests in front of the teams what we want out of our team? Ben Kennedy was the worst guy in the world when he wanted to play Origin and played with an injury, but O'Davis seems to get praise for it. I dont get it...

I mean the club owes him nothing - the club has been nothing short of loyal to the guy. Realistically he should have been sacked when he was found guilty of taking drugs in 1998. My way of thinking is he got 6 years more than he should of, and probably should be grateful of that rather than bitching about how bad the clubs management is because they wont give him another year.

Bring it home Knights

First Grade
northey said:
robbie has been playing like is in his 20's.... i can not believe that the knights can't offer him a contact next season.....

I can't agree with that. When he was in his 20's he was twice as fast and cosistantly beat the 1st man in defence.

Bring it home Knights

First Grade
northey said:
Brett Stewart plays like he's in his 20's. Billy Slater plays like he's in his 20's. Minichiello plays like he's in his 20's. Wesser plays like he's in his 20's

they are in their 20's

Robbie play's like he is in his 30's. He is slow and can not break the line.
The difference between Robbie and all the rest is that they score alot of tries. Robbie has scored 3.

robbie is a champion... he is not slow... he is a fast little bugger....

Robbie is a fast little bugger??? He'd be the slowest in our backline by a long way, a number of our forwards would be quicker then him!

antonius

Coach
Sorry Northey but IMO you are way off the mark with a number of comments. O'Davis is nowhere near the player he was when he was twenty, he is no longer the gamebreaker he once was, he is lucgky to play 50% of the games a season because he's injured so often, There is no way you can compare him to Johns (and I agree we paid him too much, and pandered to him too much) but the fact is his value is ten times that of O'Davis. I repeat what I said earlier in this post, Compared to the dragons fullbacks 4 line breaks, how many did O'Davis make? In fact how many has he made all year, I'd suggest you could count them on one hand. As said he is one of the safest fullbacks going around but that's it, it's time to move on and that means letting him go.

~knights~

Juniors
It said in the paper today that sections of the knights crowd boo-ed robbie 'o . :?

i didn't hear anything did anyone else :?:

Johns Magic

Referee
I repeat what I said earlier in this post, Compared to the dragons fullbacks 4 line breaks, how many did O'Davis make? In fact how many has he made all year, I'd suggest you could count them on one hand.

Number of line breaks(in order)-

1. Brett Hodgson-22
2. Matt Bowen-20
3. Anthony Minichiello-19
4. Billy Slater-18
5. Ben Hornby-16
6. Karmichael Hunt-13
7. Brent Webb-12
7. Luke Patten-12
9. Rhys Wesser-11
10. Clinton Shifcofske-10
10. Brett Stewart-10
12. Wade McKinnon-6
13. David Peachey-5
14. Robbie O'Davis-4

I chose the top fullback from every team except Souths because they have had asbout 5 different ones. The only 2 who got near Robbie were Peachey, who has been injured half the season, and McKinnon, who only started playing after about 8 rounds due to injuries.

Alex28

Coach
Is that for the season? No wonder we have so much trouble getting out of our own half. Seage made 2 or 3 in his first game!

There is the evidence people - can we now accept he is going and leave this topic alone?

Johns Magic

Referee
Yep, that's for the season. Seage made one in his 2 games, and scored 2 tries.
Robbie has scored 3 tries this season.

keeney

First Grade
Northey needs to take off the blue and red galsses, i agree 100% with JM on this one

General Knight

Juniors
I just hope Seage wont become injury prone when he comes back cause i heard that injuring your ACL can have a big effect on you even when u have recovered.
I spoke to my aunt whos a doctor and she said that the person could be exposed to more injuries on his knee/leg because the ACL is the thing that holds or strengthens all your bones in that area together. I mean didnt Seage get a second operation on his knee? its starting already! No!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Bring it home Knights

First Grade
It's a terrible injury to get, but it doesn't mean you wont recover and be the player you once were or there abouts. Macdougall did the same injury and has played at least a dozen games after it and was carving it up.

antonius

Coach
A lot of players have come back from it well, weather Seage is the one or not, it doesn't change the fact that Robbie has run his race, we do have Salkeld, and Young in the frame at fullback also. Add to that the fact that we'd want it to be a recoverable injury, we just forked out $1 million on Johns for nothing if it isn't

General Knight

Juniors
Robbie O should be our Fullback coach next year! ;-) I know i keep saying it but it sounds like such a good idea. Although i doubt it will happen.

Alex28

Coach
and at the end of next year when he asks for another contract? last year was supposed to be it for him - he got another year out of the club already.

General Knight

Juniors
No, I dont mean as a player but as part of the coaching staff. And maybe Hughes and Russel Richarson can retire and go to uni to become physio dudes and come work for the knights! That way we can have the proper conditioning staff who actually know what theyre doing! Sounds crazy!

Alex28

Coach
or perhaps we could get a backs coach and a forwards coach who knows what they are doing - coaches who aren't best mates with the players, who will go hard on them when they need a rocket up them. the knights time and time again allow ex-players to run this ship and it clearly is not working - Sarge's recruitment record is awful and Hagan has not been able to improve the club in any way since he took over from the wok.

eddo

Juniors
CCGenerals said:
No, I dont mean as a player but as part of the coaching staff. And maybe Hughes and Russel Richarson can retire and go to uni to become physio dudes and come work for the knights! That way we can have the proper conditioning staff who actually know what theyre doing! Sounds crazy!

I'd prefer conditioning staff to be experts at conditioning...like Billy Smith...rather than an ex-expert centre that struggled at a uni course.

No disrespect to the players you mentioned, but I think the knights need to get the best instead of hireing old boys.

But RobbieO is an expert fullback & if he has the communication & motivation skills to allow him to pass on those skills then GREAT !