What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Roebuck - Arrogant Ponting must be fired

Geohood

Bench
Well he did put what was on the field behind him and congratulated the Aussies at every opportunity. Good stuff from the young guy.

dice

Juniors
Geohood said:
Well he did put what was on the field behind him and congratulated the Aussies at every opportunity. Good stuff from the young guy.

Walking on the field with two right-hand gloves and taking several minutes to rectify the situation was high class I thought. Good stuff from the young guy.

I can just imagine the uproar if the aussies rightfully appealed and he was given out for taking too long to get to the crease.

Geohood

Bench
A young rookie bowler in a high pressure situation - im not saying it wasnt done on purpose but you cant say it was his doing or idea.

dice

Juniors
Would you say that someone who knowingly took part in that incident "rose above it all"? or "played within the spirit of the game" for that matter?

Geohood

Bench
If thats what he's sent out with he goes out with it, would you agree? Unless you were in the dressing room you can't comment - he may not of even realised.

fish eel

Immortal
dice said:
I can just imagine the uproar if the aussies rightfully appealed and he was given out for taking too long to get to the crease.

he couldnt have been because he was already on the field.

dice

Juniors
fish eel said:
he couldnt have been because he was already on the field.

LAW 31 TIMED OUT
1. Out Timed out
(a) Unless Time has been called, the incoming batsman must be
in position to take guard
or for his partner to be ready to
receive the next ball within 3 minutes of the fall of the previous
wicket. If this requirement is not met, the incoming batsman
will be out, Timed out.

Geohood said:
If thats what he's sent out with he goes out with it, would you agree? Unless you were in the dressing room you can't comment - he may not of even realised.

So Aussies are guilty until proven innocent, and Indians are innocent until proven guilty?

dice

Juniors
You are giving Sharma the benefit of not knowing he was about to delay the game at a critical time, yet accusing the aussies of going over the top. Do you think given the closeness and competitiveness of the game, that just possibly the aussies were simply elated at winning the test and securing the series?

backdoor

Juniors
Not sure about you guys but I have issues with Roebuck being employed by the ABC. The SMH can do as it wishes as it is a public concern, but a publicly funded body should not pay the wages of such a person.
That is not to suggest that the ABC should be a "love-in" but, that opinions on the national broadcaster should be more restrained than the words submitted by Roebuck this week.

Many on the ABC have disagreed with tactics and methods used by Australian (and visiting) teams over the years without resorting to such an attack and indeed by employing "different" personalities and visiting journalists in addition to soliciting listener contributions many varied opinions are conveyed.

Roebuck's bitterness shone through his "Ponting must go article" and clearly revealed agendas which previously may have been un-noticed. His article today smacked of the sort of arrogance that he condemns others for, yet he remains unrepentant.
His bias and ego are clearly not suitable for a public broadcaster in much the same way that in Rugby League, people like Hadley and Gould with their own agendas should not be recipients of the public purse.

His simplistic justifications for one form of behaviour over another and mocking of the feelings of others reek of bias in a manner more offensive than the behaviour which he claims others are guilty of.
Whilst Roebuck is entitled to an opinion and it would appear that his words have generated publicity (thus pleasing one of his masters, the SMH) , the ABC's mission is not to sell newspapers or to "shake the tree".

Of course Roebuck is able to justify his diatribe to himself and his ego assists in the process. For all of the damage he claims that Ponting and his men have done to the game as viewed through his narrow and jaundiced perspective of the events of Sydney, the damage he has done to his own standing as a fair-minded, credible journalist and to the game of cricket is greater.

Micistm

Bench
Danish said:
:lol:

What a classic article. Cricketers of ALL nations have been sledging for decades. Steve Waugh was one of the best at it in the game and stories of the various sledging matches going on during his era are now spoken of fondly in pubs around the nation.

The best part is that he goes the ENTIRE article without actually explaining at any stage his reasons for believing that the last test was an embarrassment for our country. I suppose he tries with his points on Clarke, but then again why he believes a player should walk prior to being given out by the umpire is beyond me. I notice he didn't have too much to say about Ganguly or Dravid in that regard, let alone the pure decent shown by Dravid, shaking his head and bashing his bat into the ground (something any Aussie player would have been fined for).

It never ceases to amaze me that, like clockwork, all the asian teams (and at times NZ) have a big ol' cry midway through their tour of australia relating to the "honour system" that Ponting asks all touring captains to embrace when it comes to catches in the field. Funnily enough they normally come when Australia looks to have the series wrapped up. Sour grapes??

Ponting is the greatest cricketer in the world today. His batting average is ridiculous for the amount of tests he has played, and he is averaging over 60 in his time as captain He is one of the most successful captains of all time, and will finish his career after having broken a stack of batting records, including most runs and most centuries ever.

Yup, lets sack him :sarcasm:

WTF?! Did you not read the article?! How can you say he hasn't explained why the last test was an embarrassment to Australia?! It is an opinion column, and obviously like all opinion columns you either agree or you don't- But he explains quite bluntly why the last test was embarrassing for him, and explains quite bluntly why he things Ponting and other senior team members should be sacked or at least take a good long hard look at themselves. Whether you agree or not is totally up to you, but he states everything extremely well. Too well for many, obviously.
Good on Eddie and other Aussies who can be honest and impartial, and while being proud of their team can actually criticise as well, and offer an opinion. He states Ponting is a fantastic player- and there's no doubting that- but his arrogance and ego lets him down in the captain department. And fair call, I'd agree with that too.
Bottom line, is the guy is such a class player, and in many ways captain, he doesn't need to stoop to the level he does. I don't think he should be sacked IMO- But if he swallowed a bit of humble pie, dropped the attitude, and maybe acted a bit more sporting he would go down as one of Aussies best. As it is, a test victory will be forgotten, but this will mark his career forever.

But at least it's great publicity for the next test! Bums on seats are guaranteed!

Frank_Grimes

First Grade
What a load of biased nonsense. At no point in that article does the author make any relevant point. All we are left to read is mindless ramblings and sensationalism.

Pure tripe.

Frank_Grimes

First Grade
Micistm said:
WTF?! Did you not read the article?! How can you say he hasn't explained why the last test was an embarrassment to Australia?! It is an opinion column, and obviously like all opinion columns you either agree or you don't- But he explains quite bluntly why the last test was embarrassing for him, and explains quite bluntly why he things Ponting and other senior team members should be sacked or at least take a good long hard look at themselves. Whether you agree or not is totally up to you, but he states everything extremely well. Too well for many, obviously.
Good on Eddie and other Aussies who can be honest and impartial, and while being proud of their team can actually criticise as well, and offer an opinion. He states Ponting is a fantastic player- and there's no doubting that- but his arrogance and ego lets him down in the captain department. And fair call, I'd agree with that too.
Bottom line, is the guy is such a class player, and in many ways captain, he doesn't need to stoop to the level he does. I don't think he should be sacked IMO- But if he swallowed a bit of humble pie, dropped the attitude, and maybe acted a bit more sporting he would go down as one of Aussies best. As it is, a test victory will be forgotten, but this will mark his career forever.

But at least it's great publicity for the next test! Bums on seats are guaranteed!

Would you care to explain what level it is that Ponting has stooped to? By all recognised accounts, one of his team mates came to him with a complaint of racial abuse and he reported it. He played the test hard and fought for a win. When he and his team secured that win they celebrated. These are not the actions of an arrogant team. This a new emergence of tall poppy syndrome coming from within. The popular bandwagon of bashing the national team.

It astounds me how so many people can get caught up in the hype of these types of articles every time they're wheeled out.

twistedbydesign

Juniors
Micistm said:

Yeah ok, fair enough of Roebuck to express his point of view - but if it is an opinion piece as you say why include all the references to the hordes of (namelss and faceless) Australians who were apparently compromised during this recent test? The Australians I know were over the moon to see a test finish at 6pm on the final day...

There is no doubt that Ponting can be petulent as hell at times, and there is similarly no doubt that the Aussies got the rub of the green with the umpiring in the last test, but IMO there was nothing un-sportsmanlike about the way the Aussies celebrated the victory on the weekend. We have waited years for a test in Australia with so many ups and downs, and just generally so much emotion, and yet the Aussies get shouted down for enthusiastically celebrating a win in these circumstances?! I have no doubt the Indians, and Harbhajan in particular, would have celebrated similarly had they managed to win the game.

As you say Micistm, it adds a lot of interest to the rest of the series. Far from the dissilusioned cricket fans that Roebuck describes, for the first time in a while I can't wait!!

Frank_Grimes

First Grade
Pensacola Q.C said:
Saying someone's acting like a monkey is a big difference to calling them a monkey. The latter is racist the former is not. But in the context of recent events it was stupid to use that word.

BTW Sky news and Foxsports.com both stated that the majority of people polled did not support the way the Australian team conducted themselves. So its not just a few upset Indians, Greig and Robuck that are making a fuss.

No you're right. It's a popular bandwagon that many impressionable idiots are jumping on.

mickdo

Coach
BTW Sky news and Foxsports.com both stated that the majority of people polled did not support the way the Australian team conducted themselves.
You do realise the Sky news polls said Howard was going to win the election 60/40 too dont you? I don't know why so many people are willing to use online polls as though they are some kind of gospel truth. :crazy:

El Diablo

Post Whore
mickdo said:
You do realise the Sky news polls said Howard was going to win the election 60/40 too dont you? I don't know why so many people are willing to use online polls as though they are some kind of gospel truth. :crazy:

the SMH poll at least has a disclaimer saying it's not scientific http://www.smh.com.au/polls/sport/voted.html

there's always a sucker though

Disclaimer: These polls are not scientific and reflect the opinion only of visitors who have chosen to participate. Reasonable efforts have been made to make the voting process secure.