What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Roebuck - Arrogant Ponting must be fired

JW

Coach
Calls for Ponting’s head ludicrous
Your Say Blog | January 08, 2008 | 258 Comments

What sin is Ricky Ponting guilty of committing, asks Malcolm Conn: Destroying cricket by refusing to play? Racial abuse? Or celebrating too much?

Yes, Ponting and his triumphant Australian team are guilty of showing too much joy when they won the second Test in Sydney on Sunday against India with just seven balls to spare.

They were overcome by euphoria at achieving a sensational, last gasp victory when the game seemed headed for a draw.

The best players in the world celebrated a remarkable win that kept alive their record-equaling 16-game winning streak in much the same way as a rugby league or AFL premiership team celebrates a grand final victory.

They could not contain themselves at the delight of their success.

Has this damaged cricket in the same way that Indian spinner Harbhajan Singh has by being found guilty of racial abuse, particularly after he had done it before during last year’s one-day tour of India?

And has Australia’s joy threatened the very fabric of the game by refusing to play in an attempt to blackmail the International Cricket Council into changing the Harbhajan verdict of match referee Mike Procter?

If there are any sinners in this sorry episode Ponting and his brilliant team are a long way down the list.

Harbhajan, the BCCI officials and all those who support their stand should hang their heads in shame.

http://blogs.theaustralian.news.com...an/comments/calls_for_pontings_head_ludicrous

Moffo said:
i agree, india should leave

the chief comrade is with us on that one as well

stalin.jpg

Look how happy they all are and the size of crowd that has come to listen to the words of wisdom of Comrade General Secreatary Stalin. Comrade General Secretary Stalin was so embarrassed by the continual applause of the audiences that he addressed that he had a bell installed which would ring for when the audience needed to voluntarily cease their applause and proceed to sit down.

Ah the good old days

skeepe

Immortal
Ziggy the God said:
Ponting should have either taken it up with Kumble, or through the ACB to the BCCI. That way, he it could have been sorted without this mess. All this talk about how he is following ICC regulations is a massive smokescreen.

So now the floodgates are open. Good luck Punter you tosser, your days are numbered.

I note that you failed to answer my question. As such, the only implication is that you were making it up. Just as I thought. You've got an axe to grind, and have finally found an outlet for your impotent outbursts.

Suck it up tosser.

Ziggy the God

First Grade
skeepe said:
I note that you failed to answer my question. As such, the only implication is that you were making it up. Just as I thought. You've got an axe to grind, and have finally found an outlet for your impotent outbursts.

Suck it up tosser.

I answered your question, but wankers like yourself are blinded by the reality.

Guys like Bertrand and De Castella hold way more weight than some pharked up Raiders fan.

In my opinion, Punter is a wanker like you, so you suck it up tosser.

Moffo

Referee
marshall stalin said:
Look how happy they all are and the size of crowd that has come to listen to the words of wisdom of Comrade General Secreatary Stalin. Comrade General Secretary Stalin was so embarrassed by the continual applause of the audiences that he addressed that he had a bell installed which would ring for when the audience needed to voluntarily cease their applause and proceed to sit down.

Ah the good old days

they were the days my friend. return they shall one day

TITAN1

Juniors
Roebuck is a pom,is he not?
Therefore,as he is neither Australian or Indian,his opinion is void.
Im sure Qantas can fly him back to England as he dislikes Australia so much.

Ziggy the God said:
I answered your question, but wankers like yourself are blinded by the reality.

Guys like Bertrand and De Castella hold way more weight than some pharked up Raiders fan.

In my opinion, Punter is a wanker like you, so you suck it up tosser.

Bertrand and de castella's opinions mean nothing.

neither of them have played in a team sport environment like cricket ( and no sailing does not count )

TITAN1 said:
Roebuck is a pom,is he not?
Therefore,as he is neither Australian or Indian,his opinion is void.
Im sure Qantas can fly him back to England as he dislikes Australia so much.

Unfortunatley for us he is now an Australian citizen.

how on earth did we give citizenship to a *

he oftens refers to the Aussie team as "OUR" team , it makes me sick.

Ziggy the God

First Grade
herbert henry1908 said:
Bertrand and de castella's opinions mean nothing.

neither of them have played in a team sport environment like cricket ( and no sailing does not count )

So Sportsmanship is confined to those that play team sports?

Ziggy the God said:
So Sportsmanship is confined to those that play team sports?

not at all.

but the sports they come from are not even slightly similar in nature.

how hard would it be to practice good sportsmanship in sailing ? its not like you can sledge the opposing boats that easily.

and marathon running isnt even a contest between competitors , its more of a contest against yourself( i mean its a very inward focused sport). Its not like sledging is going to help you at all.

when you play in a team environment emotions are sometimes going to be hard to keep in check.

JJ

Immortal
Malcolm Speed and Geoff Lawson admit there are problems with the current Australian team's behaviour...
http://www.smh.com.au/news/cricket/pontings-men-need-an-image-overhaul/2008/01/09/1199554741537.html
Ponting's men need an image overhaul

RICKY PONTING'S team has an image problem, and yesterday the game's highest official urged Cricket Australia to do something about it.
Malcolm Speed has been working around the clock to bring some calm to the volatile series between Australia and India and to ensure that it goes ahead. Controversially, but in the interests of the game, he acceded to India's requests to have umpire Steve Bucknor stood down from the third Test and called in a referee to stand between Bollyline skippers Ponting and Anil Kumble.
Yesterday, though, the International Cricket Council chief executive touched on a problem almost as difficult to solve, since the Australians cannot understand why they are so unloved as it was an Indian player accused and found guilty of racism.
Ponting's team is on the verge of extending its winning streak to a world record 17 Tests, but rather than being celebrated it is being condemned in some quarters for what has been described as graceless behaviour in the Sydney Test.
CA chief executive James Sutherland believes the criticism is unwarranted and "inappropriate", although the man who at the start of his tenure oversaw a major crackdown on player behaviour admitted yesterday that there were some incidents at the SCG that concerned him.
Speed, himself a former chief executive of CA, at least acknowledged there was a problem.
"They are a great cricket team; I would hate to see them remembered for any reason other than that," he said. "The team is being criticised, members of the team are being criticised, and they need to be aware of that - they need to respond to that."
Sutherland was emphatic in his support of Ponting and would not elaborate on which incidents concerned him in Sydney.
He said he had no problem with Andrew Symonds' inflammatory verbal reaction after Harbhajan Singh patted Brett Lee on the backside, the acts that preceded the alleged monkey taunt.
"Test cricket is what is being played here. It's not tiddly winks. It's a tough game, and out there from time to time emotions will bubble over, and perhaps some of the words that are said would not be acceptable in genteel company, but they are said and that is what happens," Sutherland said.
"In some specific areas, there are probably some things that I picked up that I would have concerns about. I don't want to go into those in any detail. To some extent, as I said, there is no perfection here and we don't go through five days of a Test match with a perfectly clean sheet. I don't think any team does."
Ponting hurling his bat in the dressing room after being wrongly given out in the first innings and Michael Clarke's stay at the crease upon nicking a ball to slip, after confidence had been lost in the umpires, were among the imperfections in Sydney.
Pakistan coach Geoff Lawson is among the former players distressed about the reputation of the Australian team which has, rightly or wrongly, been tarnished.
"There's certainly been a lot of feeling from ex-players who think the baggy green has been disrespected," Lawson said on Sydney radio. "I think a bit of counselling needs to be done with how these [current] players perceive themselves. As an ex-Australian player, I was pretty disappointed.
"Perception is everything, and the outside world thinks that this Australian team is arrogant and not well behaved. Whether the team themselves think that is another issue, but I can guarantee you the rest of the cricket world certainly feel that about this cricket team."
The players are likely to discuss their image before the third Test in Perth. The first step will be to admit there is a problem.

Twizzle

Administrator
Staff member
be interesting to hear a response from Cricket Australia about all the perceived arrogance and bad sportsmanship

Brutus

Referee
Twizzle said:
oh dear JJ

you were happy enough to defend Bharji when he ran around like a chook with no head and did his roll on the ground when he got Punter out

At least he didn't direct any insults towards Ponting, like other players have been known to do in the past. He did all his celebrating well away from Poontang.

Azkatro

First Grade

mickdo

Coach
Azkatro said:
Don't you think it would be appropriate for Kumble and India to do likewise?
Of course not... they were playing in the spirit of the game remember :lol:

Latest posts