What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Rolling Stone magazines Greatest Guitarist Top 10

snoozer

Bench
LEGENDARY musician Jimi Hendrix has been named the greatest guitar player in history by Rolling Stone magazine in a list compiled by a panel of music experts and top guitar players. "Jimi Hendrix exploded our idea of what rock music could be: He manipulated the guitar, the whammy bar, the studio and the stage," said Grammy-winning guitarist Tom Morello in the magazine, citing Hendrix's Purple Haze and The Star-Spangled Banner as key tracks, the Herald Sun reported.
Hendrix is joined by the likes of Eric Clapton, B.B. King, Keith Richards, Jimmy Page and Pete Townshend among the top 10, in a list laden with rock 'n' roll icons spanning decades.

The panel of experts recruited to vote for their favorite guitar players included musicians such as Lenny Kravitz, Eddie Van Halen (who was voted No. 8), Brian May and Dan Auerbach from The Black Keys, along with a selection of Rolling Stone's senior writers and editors.
The experts also weighed in on their favorites, with Pearl Jam's Mike McCready calling Eddie Van Halen "a master of riffs" and Joe Perry praising Jimmy Page's "vision of how to transcend the stereotypes of what the guitar can do".
The full list will be featured in a special issue with four special covers of Van Halen, Clapton, Hendrix and Page on Friday.
Rolling Stone's top 10 greatest guitarists:
1. Jimi Hendrix
2. Eric Clapton
3. Jimmy Page
4. Keith Richards
5. Jeff Beck
6. B.B. King
7. Chuck Berry
8. Eddie Van Halen
9. Duane Allman
10. Pete Townshend

http://www.news.com.au/entertainmen...layer-in-history/story-e6frfn09-1226204205530

fire away!

Eelsman18

Juniors
Considering David Gilmour's Comfortably Numb has been voted as the best guitar solo of all-time - I'm genuinely surprised that Gilmour is not on that list.

Good to see Clapton getting some recognition, though.

Surprising to see that there's no Slash, either.

AlwaysGreen

Immortal
Not a bad top 10 although Townshend could be higher and Blackmore could have slipped in their somewhere.

No Tom Morello?

Sorry but nobody could do what Morello did on a guitar, not even even Hendrix.

35642w.jpg

Cliffhanger

Coach
Kurt. Morello. Who's next, the kid from Hansen?

Morello was a better guitarist than Kurt, Morrello could get sounds and riff from a guitar that no one else can. That said it's hard to say anybody who is on the list downright doesn't deserve. I mean Jimmy Page was only good thing in boring as batshit band.

Anybody who doesn't rate Morello as guitarist has to break out the battle for los angeles or revelations. Yeah his solo stuff is beyond shithouse, but with Rage Against the Machine and Audioslave his technique was brilliant.

HevyDevy

Coach
RS still talks about music does it?

:lol: I like it.

Anyway, the Hendrix pick is predictable. Good guitarist etc but he is obviously No.1 because of his influence above all else.

At least Eddie is there like he should be (albeit he should be higher).

No Satriani or Vai is interesting.

Twizzle

Administrator
Staff member
No Tom Morello?

Sorry but nobody could do what Morello did on a guitar, not even even Hendrix.

agree to an extend as Tom cant do what Jimi did either, Morello has an unfair advantage as the guitar technology he uses was not available in Jimi's days

on guitar playing ability Morello is better than a few of those in the top 10, Keith Richards in particular

Much like Kurt Cobain and Chuck Berry he (Richards) can write a good catchy riff but that doesn't make him a good guitarist in the quality of Tom Morello and the others in RS's top 10 imo.

Danish

Referee
Has anyone else noticed that being on one of these lists has a prerequisite of playing in the 60s?

I'm sure it has nothing to do with the age of the journos and editors running this magazine...

Cliffhanger

Coach
:lol: Ahhhh cheers Cliff, I needed a good laugh.

I like Morello by the way, but seriously ...

BBC had him in their top ten and the LA times put him ahead of a couple of guys on the RS top 10 list. I don't think it's a ridiculous suggestion, Morello was a genius in his own right when it came to producing new sounds.