What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

ron massey cup 2015

rightleftin

Juniors
Back from the Hills v Guildford semi in the shield. Hills 38 v Guildford 8. Comprehensive win to Hills, only concern would be the Hills fullback off early in the 2nd half with an aggravation of the hamstring injury from last week.

I had my first viewing of Hills this season today. Considering the quality players in the team I pondered on how they could lose 7 games plus some close wins. I thought it might be that you are only as strong as your weakest link but what I saw today was solidity right across the park. I thought David Baumann had a big game and Mick Hawkins never stops despite being 39 years young.

Peninsula's hopes have risen after a win against Windsor today. Ryan Oldfield, playing his 4th game of the season got another hat trick to take his tally to 10 tries and Vinny Ngaro is back from NSW Cup after Manly were eliminated in that grade.

Belrose have taken advantage of so many teams making the finals by overcoming 9 consecutive losses with a comfortable win over 2104 premiers East Campbelltown who are eliminated.

rightleftin

Juniors
In the RMC Windsor have caused a boilover by beating Mounties 32 -24 despite the Wolves having Ray Lesoa, Sam Hollis and Tom Eisenhuth all playing for Penrith in the NSW Cup yesterday. Maybe the comments about Mounties choking have a bit credibility than I thought.

Wenty have brushed aside 4 consecutive losses prior to last week by beating Asquith 34-6. In the minor games Guildford started like a house on fire running up an 18-0 lead in the first 15 minutes and Auburn blew plenty of opportunities to still trail 18-6 at HT. But the further the game went the more mistakes Guildford made and Auburn fell over the line 24-22.

Blacktown have reversed the form books and after conceding a try in the first 5 minutes proceeded to smash Concord Burwood 50-6. Blacktown were also hit by NSW Cup call ups with Josh Tangitau and Antonio Pelasasia playing for Penrith yesterday.

magpie4ever

First Grade
I had my first viewing of Hills this season today. Considering the quality players in the team I pondered on how they could lose 7 games plus some close wins. I thought it might be that you are only as strong as your weakest link but what I saw today was solidity right across the park. I thought David Baumann had a big game and Mick Hawkins never stops despite being 39 years young.

Peninsula's hopes have risen after a win against Windsor today. Ryan Oldfield, playing his 4th game of the season got another hat trick to take his tally to 10 tries and Vinny Ngaro is back from NSW Cup after Manly were eliminated in that grade.

Belrose have taken advantage of so many teams making the finals by overcoming 9 consecutive losses with a comfortable win over 2104 premiers East Campbelltown who are eliminated.

If Hills have got a weak link it is that teams can goad them into playing the footy that they are playing. It happened in the 2nd half today, Guildford niggled them into playing that niggly football. I believe this and their error rate were the reasons they lost 7.

When they play their own style of controlled but open football they are hard to beat.

Spot on about Hawkings - bloody marvel and Baumann - massive game.

Last edited:

Broncos93

Juniors
Mounties were robbed I thought against Windsor. 7 mins to go, 22 all and Mounties hooker Kurt Robinson goes through, draws fullback five metres out and passed to one of the Kennedy brothers, who was dragged down before the pass was thrown. Penalty, but no sin binning. Mounties take the two, so Windsor managed to reduce their inevitable deficit of 6 to 2 points, through a professional foul. Mounties drop the ball off the next set and Windsor score to go ahead. Should have been a sin binning, possibly penalty try but the decision allowed Windsor the advantage. Not sure if anyone else was there to see it but thats how I perceived what happened.

Tigers1986

Juniors
The Mounties finals choke has started yet again it seems. Dominating the regular season with ease tends to detract from finals experience when it counts, like Peninsula in the Shield last year.

IN THE KNOW

Juniors
just looking over teams list for this week , Lyndon Mcgrady for Auburn will create some headaches for Mounties if their forwards can go the distance in the predicted 27 degree heat. Asquith coach has not learned with naming Trent Jennings on the bench , this guy is a starter and he leaves that lazy Marketo in the run on side. Jennings stats after coming back from Norths where he suffered an injury which required surgery in March , 8 games for 8 tries 8 goals in 2 games sets his wing up nicely can play both left and right solid in defence makes good reads. I was near the Cabramatta new coach Eddie Flahey last sunday and overheard his comments to the Wests RM coach saying he should be starting and can play and was going to make enquiries about getting him to Cabra for 2016 . Maybe NRL clubs should be looking for a depth player ???

Broncos93

Juniors
just looking over teams list for this week , Lyndon Mcgrady for Auburn will create some headaches for Mounties if their forwards can go the distance in the predicted 27 degree heat. Asquith coach has not learned with naming Trent Jennings on the bench , this guy is a starter and he leaves that lazy Marketo in the run on side. Jennings stats after coming back from Norths where he suffered an injury which required surgery in March , 8 games for 8 tries 8 goals in 2 games sets his wing up nicely can play both left and right solid in defence makes good reads. I was near the Cabramatta new coach Eddie Flahey last sunday and overheard his comments to the Wests RM coach saying he should be starting and can play and was going to make enquiries about getting him to Cabra for 2016 . Maybe NRL clubs should be looking for a depth player ???

Jennings form has been sporadic, would be very harsh to bench Marketo for him given the amount of tries he creates. Not the fittest bloke on the park but he's solid defensively and there's very few players who can deal with him 1 on 1 because his feet are too quick. Hes more or less Asquith's best strike weapon in attack.

rightleftin

Juniors
In the Mounties v Auburn RMC today there was no score in the first 25 minutes and then Junior Tia Kilifi did a head shot, the victim carried off, Tia Kilifi sent off and game over. Mounties win 36-4.

In SS Hills beat Mounties 30-24. I assumed a 1pm start so I missed Hills 6 tries in the first half but 90% of the second half was played Hills quarter but they held on to progress to next week. In the other game Windsor ended the Belrose run 34-16.

rightleftin

Juniors
In the 2nd RMC game, Blacktown led 14-0 after 25 minutes but Asquith then scored 38 unanswered points. Mick Pearsall increased his try tally to 30 today.

magpie4ever

First Grade
The Finals Week Three schedule for Ron Massey Cup and Sydney Shield has been released for Saturday, 19 and Sunday, 20 September.
Saturday 19 September: New Era Stadium
12pm Wentworth v Windsor Sydney Shield
2pm Windsor v Asuqith Ron Massey Cup

Sunday 20 September: Leichhardt Oval
11.00 am Peninsula v Hills District Sydney Shield
5.00 pm Wentworthville v Mounties Ron Massey Cup

(NB: Times are subject to change pending NRL Finals Series scheduling.)
As always, you can find the latest Ron Massey and Sydney Shield info at www.NSWRL.com.au

Go the boys from the Hills.

Broncos93

Juniors
Alofi Mataele, a winger from Burwood, won player of the year for RMC last night at the Brad Fittler awards.
Ben Baker from East Campbelltown won it for Shield.

rightleftin

Juniors
SYDNEY SHIELD PRELIMINARY FINALS

Wentworthville Magpies 68 (D Brown 4, R Rona 2, D Sasifa, C McKenzie, K Diamond, M Price, S Greaves, J Pouhila tries; Sasifa 10 goals) bt Windsor Wolves 6 (B Smallwood try; J Horo goal)
Windsor Wolves eliminated from Sydney Shield finals

RON MASSEY CUP PRELIMINARY FINALS

Asquith Magpies 32 (J Hawkins 2, A Groom, D McKeown, W Lofu Lofu tries; Hawkins 6 goals) bt Windsor Wolves 30 (R Emori Tuisese, M Sini, H Maiava, C Aunese-Scanlan, Davis tries; A f**kas 5 goals)
Windsor Wolves eliminated from Ron Massey Cup finals

Broncos93

Juniors
What on earth happened to Windsor in Shield? That match was 1v2 and they just rolled over.

Massey game was a cracker. Asquith 14-8 at HT, Windsor scored two tries after half time and it was a see sawing arm wrestle for the rest of the match. Groom played short to McKeown who busted through from 20 out with about 5 mins left. 5 tries each, 100% goalkicking from both teams, came down to an Asquith penalty goal midway through the first half.

rightleftin

Juniors
At half time Wenty are leading Mounties 2-0. Mounties are down to a 2 man bench following injuries to Morris and Rokoqo.

rightleftin

Juniors
In both 2014 and 2015 the top 4 on the ladder where the last 4 teams alive. In the Shield the last 4 teams all finished in the first 5 on the ladder.

This demonstrates that having more than 5 teams in the finals serves no purpose. Sure the NRL has 8 but it has 16 teams and in any case it is all about gates and content for TV.

We had the absurd situation where 4 teams where in the "finals' even though they all lost more games than they won.

But the results on the weekend highlighted another flaw. In the 4 or 5 team playoffs a lower team has to beat everyone above them to win the comp. Asquith finished 3rd and are now in the GF despite the fact that the wenty, who finished 2nd beat Asquith 34-6.

Latest posts