What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Rookie/Best and Most overrated League Podcasts

No1_Eels_Dude

Juniors
Hi, I read alot of messages but never posted on here but am a big fan of the posts on here. Instead of the boring old same Bloke In a Bar etc being mention. I thought let’s do something different and name your best new rookie podcast/your favourite and most overrated.

Rookie Podcast- Mine would be The Weekly Offload on Spotify, I stumbled across this because they recently had Andy Raymond but I really think this could be great. Seems like two Aussie nobodies and a former UK Superleague player but they are actually funny/good.

Best Podcast- The Bye Round. I enjoy James Graham so much as a commentator and just in general. His footy chat and IQ is kinda unexpected if you watched him play.

Most Overrated- I know it’s new but that one with Josh Mansour and the Fox. I don’t wanna be too harsh on the boys because I’m sure it’s hard starting off and they have done pretty well I hear and I can’t understand how besides there names but I thought it was horrible myself.

Last edited:

No1_Eel

Juniors
Hey, you sorta stole my name!

Bloke In A Bar most overrated piece of garbage. Most bogans from this forum probably love it. Such a waste of time

No1_Eel

Juniors
I was looking through my list. I mainly listen to other podcasts non league related but I’ll give that The Weekly Offload a go. My favourites are Six Tackles with Gus and I like the Bye Round too. James Graham is the best ex footy player ever to hold a sentence together

Hey, you sorta stole my name!

Bloke In A Bar most overrated piece of garbage. Most bogans from this forum probably love it. Such a waste of time

Guest: I was chatting to (insert plodder teammate here)
Kemp: faarrrrkk whatta legend
Guest: yeah absolute legend ay

followed by an often mediocre story

To answer the original question, I enjoyed the Matty Johns podcast. Matty and Block would have some decent stories and Kenty isn’t too bad when he’s not trying to blow things out of proportion. Their episode on the Super League War is 100% worth a listen.

mozza91

Coach
Rugby League Digest is the best by far. Have loved listening to their history of the Super League stuff.

I like Denan Kemp when it’s one on one with a player but don’t like the others.That Rugby League guru bloke has serious tickets on himself and his observations are fairly generic imo.

Don’t mind Matty Johns either.

No1_Eel

Juniors
Guest: I was chatting to (insert plodder teammate here)
Kemp: faarrrrkk whatta legend
Guest: yeah absolute legend ay

followed by an often mediocre story

To answer the original question, I enjoyed the Matty Johns podcast. Matty and Block would have some decent stories and Kenty isn’t too bad when he’s not trying to blow things out of proportion. Their episode on the Super League War is 100% worth a listen.

That’s the hilarious and accurate. I can’t believe it’s supposedly the most listened to rugby league podcast.

Munky

Coach
Rugby League Digest is the best by far. Have loved listening to their history of the Super League stuff.

I like Denan Kemp when it’s one on one with a player but don’t like the others.That Rugby League guru bloke has serious tickets on himself and his observations are fairly generic imo.

Don’t mind Matty Johns either.

I used to get Guru posts and clips appear on my social media feeds as suggestions.

In one he said Talakai is on the level of Val Holmes since they had equivalent stats in the first ten weeks of the season.

The other saying how good Mick Monas was as an under appreciated now forgotten player. The dude was a mediocre half who's team won a comp the year after he left.

Lemon Squash

First Grade
If you want to listen to proper footy chat Fifth and Last is the best I have heard.

Two brothers who both played and coached lower grades, their weekly analysis is better than any media outlet that I have seen or heard.

Seem like good fellas and some laughs in there too.

For just pure entertainment factor I actually like Matty Johns SEN poddy/radio gig on a Friday… it’s him, Andrew Webster and Denan Kemp, Kemp is actually a lot better on this as the second/third wheel… but they talk footy and all sorts of general dribble as well.

No1_Eel

Juniors
I used to get Guru posts and clips appear on my social media feeds as suggestions.

In one he said Talakai is on the level of Val Holmes since they had equivalent stats in the first ten weeks of the season.

The other saying how good Mick Monas was as an under appreciated now forgotten player. The dude was a mediocre half who's team won a comp the year after he left.

Rugby league guru, argh.
Seem like good fellas and some laughs in there too.

For just pure entertainment factor I actually like Matty Johns SEN poddy/radio gig on a Friday… it’s him, Andrew Webster and Denan Kemp, Kemp is actually a lot better on this as the second/third wheel… but they talk footy and all sorts of general dribble as well.

I think like a few have already mentioned and I agree with you guys. Denan Kemp on his own or on other shows is good, I like him. I just think he has let to many of his “mates” on Bloke in a bar which is a shame.

Vee

First Grade
That’s the hilarious and accurate. I can’t believe it’s supposedly the most listened to rugby league podcast.
I don't find it surprising at all. The lowbrow humour of The Footy Show was a hit for decades.

Vee

First Grade
Some good suggestions here that I will give a crack. I'm not very techonogical, I have listened to Phil Gould in the past but gave up because I can't put up with his ego, bias and agenda.

Mr_Raditch

Juniors
Can't believe no one has mentioned "rad footy show" podcast yet. Ed Kavalee & Brendan Annakin. Absolutely hilarious, both love 90's era footy & just take the piss. Easily my favourite.

soc123_au

Staff member
Willie mason and Justin horo. Think it’s called levels network now
25% of it is pretty good, the 75% that consists of f**k, what a dog, f**k f**k f**k daaaawwwwg I can do without. When Willie isn't trying too hard to be a hard merkin he is actually pretty good.

Good thread though. I will have to check a few of these other ones out.

I've been trying to work up the courage to try the Lets Trot one, only cause I still have serious man love for Josh Mansour. I can imagine it will be very cringe and I won't make it too far.

Wb1234

Referee
25% of it is pretty good, the 75% that consists of f**k, what a dog, f**k f**k f**k daaaawwwwg I can do without. When Willie isn't trying too hard to be a hard merkin he is actually pretty good.

Good thread though. I will have to check a few of these other ones out.

I've been trying to work up the courage to try the Lets Trot one, only cause I still have serious man love for Josh Mansour. I can imagine it will be very cringe and I won't make it too far.
Mason is honest as feck

his time talking about when they were on the booze for months at les catalans and then for the kangaroo tour

I don't find it surprising at all. The lowbrow humour of The Footy Show was a hit for decades.
Fatty: how goods (teammate in form) going now
Guest: he’s a good bloke and he’s doing well at the moment. He’s the type of guy you love to play with
(Audience hysterics)

I think the show was the first to put untrained people in front of a camera and it had a charisma to it. The panelists came off a humans not robots made the show endearing. The thing was when the novelty of it wore off (and many other similar shows came up) you were left with mediocre television.

Reactions: Vee

Chins get the wins

First Grade
This Week in League is the best by f**king miles for good fun banter.

The Rugby League Digest for a serious look at footy history.

And finally Denan Kemp is a f**king coward who will take down whole social media posts if he gets something wrong