What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Rookie of the year question

Mighty Tiger

Bench
Was talking the other day about possible rookies of the year candidates and nothing definate was answered regarding if Brian Carney can win the NRL rookie of the year award?

Just woundering if the award is just covering the NRL or if there is rules advising something along the lines of "any one who has played top level rugby league such as ESL cannot be eligable for this award"

Morley was suspended so he wasn't eligable for the award in his debut year

V1er

Juniors
I think he cant win it, I think they said it on the footy show earlier this year, not sure the reasons behind it though.

Prodigiousman

Juniors
From what I understood over the years you had to be Under 26 to be eligible but that could be another sport's rules influencing my memory. But I thought you couldn't win it if you had more than 5 career NRL games before the season you broke that mark - but this is all from memory and usually the papers don't check career games when refering to a rookie.

As for the outstanding candidates for 2006 (in no particular order and 5 or less NRL games prior to 2006) and the ones with a genuine shot at winning it:

Matthew Scott - Cowboys
Luke Douglas - Sharks
Travis Burns - Sea Eagles
Darius Boyd - Broncos
Beau Scott - Sharks
Gavin Cooper - Cowboys
Brett Delaney - Eels
Jarryd Hayne - Eels (gus's opinion has a lot of weight in official circles)
Paul Aiton - Panthers
David Shillington - Roosters
Grant Rovelli - Warriors

of them the favourites in my opinion would be:
G Rovelli, D Shillington, M Scott, G Cooper, L Douglas and T Burns

Razor

Coach
ut I thought you couldn't win it if you had more than 5 career NRL games before the season you broke that mark

If you start 1 match previously you aren't eligble. But you have any number of matches starting off the bench.

archydragon

Juniors
I reckon Boyd would be a strong candidate hes done well this year also matthew socct has played origin this year but would that be enough

hineyrulz

Post Whore
Prodigiousman said:
From what I understood over the years you had to be Under 26 to be eligible but that could be another sport's rules influencing my memory. But I thought you couldn't win it if you had more than 5 career NRL games before the season you broke that mark - but this is all from memory and usually the papers don't check career games when refering to a rookie.

As for the outstanding candidates for 2006 (in no particular order and 5 or less NRL games prior to 2006) and the ones with a genuine shot at winning it:

Matthew Scott - Cowboys
Luke Douglas - Sharks
Travis Burns - Sea Eagles
Darius Boyd - Broncos
Beau Scott - Sharks
Gavin Cooper - Cowboys
Brett Delaney - Eels
Jarryd Hayne - Eels (gus's opinion has a lot of weight in official circles)
Paul Aiton - Panthers
David Shillington - Roosters
Grant Rovelli - Warriors

of them the favourites in my opinion would be:
G Rovelli, D Shillington, M Scott, G Cooper, L Douglas and T Burns
brett delaney :lol:

Bazal

Post Whore
Brett Delaney is not eligible as he played four games last season. Hayne might get it if he keeps improving as he has been...

Prodigiousman

Juniors
Razor said:
If you start 1 match previously you aren't eligble. But you have any number of matches starting off the bench.

so basically by that reasoning a guy like Dean Widders could've played 85 first grade games off the bench in 4 seasons and still be eligible for the Rookie of the year award as long as he doesn't start one game?

Fui Fui had 8 off the bench last year, and only 4 other first grade games before that after debuting in 2002... so as long as those 4 games were all off the bench he's eligible for the ROY award?

Might have to contact the NRL and get their official answer.

Will post once i have it.

Latest posts