What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Rooney searching for new contract

The Nature Boy

Juniors
Rooney searching for new contract

By James Hooper | April 20, 2008

<DIV class="article-body rank0" id=article-body>
LUKE Rooney, whose try set up last night's golden-point finish, is fighting for a new contract just like every other Panthers player. And the local junior is contemplating life at a different club for the first time in his career.
"At the moment it probably doesn't look like I'll be here. They haven't really made me an offer yet,'' Rooney said.
"In a perfect world I'd like to stay at Penrith. I've been here my whole life and they've been good to me. All my family's here, all my mates. I've got so much pride for Penrith.
"You don't really get the chance to play for a team you've always gone for when you were younger.
"But if you have to go you have to go.''
Panthers heavyweight Mick Leary has confirmed Rooney and every other player off contract at the club are fighting for new deals.
Last night Rooney atoned for a substandard performance the previous week against the Roosters.
His try, converted from the sideline by Jarrod Sammut, sent the game into extra time for the halfback to shine again.
"Last week I had 15 minutes there where I made a few shocking mistakes. Otherwise I'm not going too bad,'' Rooney said.
"The mistakes were just those times where you ask yourself 'how's that happened?'.
Nathan Smith, the subject of a $200,000 offer to return to Canberra, is also on notice as the Panthers look to strengthen their roster for 2009.
"Luke's in the same boat as everybody else. We've got another 20-odd games to go so we're just sitting back waiting at the moment,'' Leary said.
"At the moment the situation is we've got to win a few games and the players have got to really stand up and say 'I want a new contract'.''

I am mixed on Rooney staying at the moment as for Smith i assume 200k is over 2 years not per season

<DIV class="group instory-dropzones">

Munky

Coach
Lets hope Rooney's search doesn't find what he is looking for in Penrith.

I think we have far better wing options.

mxlegend99

Referee
We don't need to keep any of the off contract players, not even for depth. I say let them leave.

We have the best fullback in the Under 20's, and one of the best halves the club has ever produced... both would do a great job if you put them in first grade.

1. Lachlan Coote
2. Geoff Daniela
3. Michael Jennings
4. Brad Tighe
5. Michael Gordon
6. Wade Graham
7. Jarrod Sammut
8. Petero Civoniceva
9. Paul Aiton
10. Adam Woolnough
11. Frank Pritchard
12. Trent Waterhouse
13. Maurice Blair

14. Masada Iosefa
15. Joseph Paulo
16. Tim Grant
17. Sam McKendry

We don't need to keep Priddis, Rooney, Smith, Worth, O'Halloran, R. Williams, J. Williams etc. The money saved would allow us to target marquee players if they become available, and to lock in a few of the players we risk losing.

Wesser and Tony Puletua are under contract for next season... but could possibly be released. If they are with us i would have Tony starting in the front row and Wesser playing at Windsor Wolves.

broncoFAN

Juniors
We don't need to keep any of the off contract players, not even for depth. I say let them leave.

We have the best fullback in the Under 20's, and one of the best halves the club has ever produced... both would do a great job if you put them in first grade.

1. Lachlan Coote
2. Geoff Daniela
3. Michael Jennings
4. Brad Tighe
5. Michael Gordon
6. Wade Graham
7. Jarrod Sammut
8. Petero Civoniceva
9. Paul Aiton
10. Adam Woolnough
11. Frank Pritchard
12. Trent Waterhouse
13. Maurice Blair

14. Masada Iosefa
15. Joseph Paulo
16. Tim Grant
17. Sam McKendry

We don't need to keep Priddis, Rooney, Smith, Worth, O'Halloran, R. Williams, J. Williams etc. The money saved would allow us to target marquee players if they become available, and to lock in a few of the players we risk losing.

Wesser and Tony Puletua are under contract for next season... but could possibly be released. If they are with us i would have Tony starting in the front row and Wesser playing at Windsor Wolves.

id love to see that backline play, onlky because theyd conceed 40 points a game AHAHAHA

Fibroman

First Grade
Luke Rooney should be very proud of what he has achieved in the game. Played for his State and Country and won a premiership. All achieved at a young age.

As a lifetime Panthers supporter, I'd like to find a place for all the players in the top 17, but realistically the best 17 have to be picked and the rest need to go elsewhere to pursue their careers.

Personally I think Luke's best form may be behind him. I wish him all the success in the future, and maybe a new club might rejuvinate his career?

mxlegend99

Referee
id love to see that backline play, onlky because theyd conceed 40 points a game AHAHAHA
Obviously you have no idea.

Lachlan Coote is a very reliable player... The player he is replacing is one of the worst under the high ball, and for the past 2 years has been carrying injuries. Wesser is also trying to be a playmaker... which he doesn't have the ability for, meanwhile Lachlan Coote is a natural.

Geoff Daniela will be replacing Luke Rooney. Who has been making a lot of errors and costing us lots of points. He already has first grade experience, and has a lot better strike rate then Luke Rooney.

Those 2 players into our backline will improve our attack and cut down on errors. Lachlan Coote will be carving up the NRL next year.

Fibroman

First Grade
How about this for a grand final team in 2009?
1. Coote
2. Gordon
3. Jennings
4. Waddell
5. Tighe
6. Barrett
7. Sammut
8. Petero
9. Iosefa
10. Grant
11. Paulo
12. Pritchard
13. Blair

14. Aiton
15. McKendry
16. Blackett
17. Smith

mightypanther

Juniors
mxlegend99 said:
Wesser is also trying to be a playmaker... which he doesn't have the ability for

Who knows, this could very well be something that has not been his choice.
It could be direct instructions from Elliott.

And for all we know, he may feel as uncomfortable doing it, as we are watching him.

Panther_Daz

Staff member
How about this for a grand final team in 2009?
1. Coote
2. Gordon
3. Jennings
4. Waddell
5. Tighe
6. Barrett
7. Sammut
8. Petero
9. Iosefa
10. Grant
11. Paulo
12. Pritchard
13. Blair

14. Aiton
15. McKendry
16. Blackett
17. Smith

Paulo bench ahead of Smith and Waterhouse at Number 11.

Otherwise not bad at all...

God-King Dean

Immortal
Since it's been rumoured Bennett wants Rooney at Saints next year, I'm curious.

How's Rooneys form been the last 2 years ?

The Tank

Bench
Since it's been rumoured Bennett wants Rooney at Saints next year, I'm curious.

How's Rooneys form been the last 2 years ?

I think at the start of last year he had a decent run before injury. Since then he's been poop. In fact this year is probably the worst I've seen from him. Ever since Girds retired he's been pretty ordinary.

murraymob

Coach
to be fair to rooney under elliott the back line stands in a straight line when attacking.It would be hard for any winger to shine. Clearly he needs a change of club to ignite his career .I still think he has a lot to offer

Dave Q

Coach
The camel would make 5/8th and captain of the Rabbitohs at the moment ....whoops thats our plans for Lukey Lewis.

Mob is right, he hasnt a seen football since 2003, its pretty much prolonged his career!

Fibroman

First Grade
The flat attacking line that Panthers and manny other sides seem to go with in this day and age make it hard for blokes like Rooney to shine.

Rooney is a finisher, and has pace over 100, not 40 metres. Girds used to make breaks inside his own half and deliver quality ball to Rooney with 40-50 to the try line. This simply doesn't happen anymore. Roons would probably go better in a side like Brisbane or melbourne.

Latest posts